Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Serpentine vs. V-belt

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2001, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Serpentine vs. V-belt

I am interested in opinions on the merits/disadvantages of the multiple V-belt/single serpentine belt systems of the 1987 and earlier third generation vehicles as compared to the single serpentine belt systems of 1988 and later cars. My engine has a short serpentine belt which runs around the crank pulley, alternator, and water pump, a V-belt around the water pump, crank pulley, A/C compressor, and steering pump, another V-belt around the crank and steering pump, and another V-belt around the water pump and smog pump. My questions are as follows:

1. Would I free up a significant amount of power by converting to a serpentine belt system?
2. Do V-belts tend to be more prone to slippage?
3. Is the single V-belt adequate to power the A/C compressor? (I ask because I plan to soon restore my A/C system to operation)
4. Might I be able to install a supercharger kit using this belt configuration?
5. Does anyone offer a reasonably priced serpentine accessory drive kit?

I figure that it might be best to change the accessory drive system (if there are any significant advantages in doing so) before making any further modifications or ordering an A/C compressor. I don't mind manual tensioning or having to remove belts to get to others, and am somewhat pleased that there is a small amount of redundancy in the system and that the V-belts have lifetime warranties. I can also purchase a full set of V-belts in addition to the short serpentine belt for something close to the price of a long serpentine belt for the other drive system. I would be interested in hearing any opinions/suggestions. Thanks
Old 07-17-2001, 08:42 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
I doubt there is any advantages/disadvantages regarding "drag" (HP Loss) as the belts are not the real problem...but the accessory itself.

The advantages of the Serpentine system is 1 belt does all versus multiple belts. The Serpentine is self-adjusting so you never have to adjust it and be bothered with that annoying "squeal" of a loose belt.

Also, R&R of a Serpentine belt is a snap. Just insert a breaker-bar in the adjuster, remove the old belt and install the new belt. With a multi v-belt system, I always felt I was replacing one belt after another. And always it is the damn "inside" belt the needs to be replaced, meaning you have to remove the outer belts.

One disadvantage of serpentine belt is if it breaks in some "out-of-the-way" place. You may be stranded for awhile while you wait to get a new belt. That is why I always carry a spare with me. Also, if the serpentine belt breaks, you loose ALL of your accessories. With a V-belt you just loose one accessory, so you may not be totally stranded, depending on which accessory is no longer working.
Old 07-17-2001, 09:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Engine: 4.0L
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 8.8 rear, 4.56 gears, 4:1 transfer
http://sethirdgen.org/serpentine.htm

------------------
86 Camaro Sport
383 Speed-O-Motive Crate Engine, Raptor 700R4 Tranmission, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge G2's, 58mm Accel TB, 3.73 Auburn Pro, SLP Cold Air Induction and Headers, Hooker Cat-back, Serpentine Belt Setup, Dual IROC Fans, Jamex springs, 16" IROC Rims, 36mm/24mm Sway Bars, Global West Steering Brace. Hotchkis Rear LCA's,Panhard Bar and SFC's.
My Camaro Project