Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

No Start...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Start...

It did this once about 4 years ago at a gas station. Happening again, more permanent this time...

I changed my injectors a few weeks ago. Got everything together, cranked it up...fixed vacuum leaks...cranked it up again and let it idle for a while. Idling fine...watching it from afar and it cut off. Cranked it back up and pulled it out of garage. Turned car off to get some stuff together to go to track that day for some testing. Turned key, and nothing. Turned key again....nothing. Turned key again...cranked up. Drove it around block few times to make sure car running ok, pulled back into the driveway and turned car off. NOW...it hasn't started up at all since. Nada. when turning key to crank...No click...brake light comes on and the temp gauge pegs to the right. Nothing else moves or comes on. Voltmeter guage doesn't move either. Same with battery charger hooked up.

I have taken off starter and taken to parts store where the clerk "hot wired" it to battery to show that starter was engaging fine when it got power. Said I'm not getting power to starter some how. I hooked starter back up and "re-wired" the connections. No change in start condition. I CAN take a swcrewdriver to starter and connect terminals...and it DOES turnover when I do this. I DO have power from battery to the starter then.

I bought a new ignition switch (at base of steering column). Actually took off ignition switch "halfway" and reconnected...thinking I better check starter 1st before swapping ignition switch.

Moving the gear shift and moving the steering column while key turned for cranking netted no results.

Suggestions?
Swap the ignition switch or try something else?
Old 03-12-2005, 04:23 PM

Replaced ignition switch.

No Change.

Can't start car.

I'm outta ideas. VATS maybe?

I have just gotten chip burning stuff...haven't burned my first prom yet. Reckon I could learn how to turn VATS off.
Think that could be it?
Old 03-12-2005, 04:33 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: Z28
Engine: Sb2.2 406
Transmission: Jerico 4 speed
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" 3.60
Security light on at all? Have you checked voltage from the starter enable relay yet?

Edit: <A HREF="https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=234765">Here's a thread with some useful info and diagrams</A>

Last edited by Stekman; 03-12-2005 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:38 PM

Thanks for the link.

Even though I thought it wasn't on earlier...the security light stays on. I'll check into that.

On another note I used the guide on page 6-D2 of the Service Manual for my car No cranking, No Sound from Solenoid
1) Turn headlamps and dome lamp on and turn key to start
Lamps stay bright
2)turn on radio and heater
operate ok
3) (Automatic) check connections and voltage at solenoid "s" terminal.
more than 7 volts on the terminal the battery cable connects to...and nothing on the strap that goes into the starter confused on that one

It says if 7 or more volts repair starter
If less than 7 volts check voltage at ignition switch solenoid terminal Don't know where that is

Basically, manual has only three solutions:
1) repair starter
2) repair wire form ignition switch
3) replace ignition switch

I think the screwdriver method rules out the starter, and I've replaced the ignition switch...

Going to use the link you gave me and go from there...
Thanks
Old 03-12-2005, 06:49 PM

Just wanted to note that the Security light stays off. Take key out and insert spare, security light comes on and stays on, switch keys, and security light comes on and stays on...

To check again, I waited a while. Insert key and turn to on, start, back to on. Security light not on. Turn key to off. TUrn back to on...security light comes on and stays on...

Last edited by smithtc; 03-12-2005 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:17 PM

f your key has the pellet in it and your security light stays on when the key is turned, you have a problem with VATS. Here is a simple test to try. Using a multimeter set to OHM's, measure the resistance value of the pellet in the key and write it down. Next, disconnect the two wire harness coming from the steering column. The two wires will be either white with an orange wrap or yellow with a black wrap. the two wires on the connector they connect to will be purple/yellow and black/white. Put the key in the ignition lock cylinder and leave in the "OFF" position. Now measure the resistance value in the key using the wire from the steering column. If the value is different, you either have a broken wire in the steering column or bad contacts on the key or lock cylinder. If the value is the same, your problem is elsewhere.
My key ohms measured 2.36-2.38 for key and spare key.
Checked at 2-wire harness.

When security light doesn't come on, it measures the same resistance....but I still can't crank.
When security light comes on, I can't measure anything...and still can't crank.

Anyway, I think my problem is elsewhere...

Last edited by smithtc; 03-12-2005 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:53 PM

Sorry for all the posts...I'm sure it confuses...

My problem must be VATS.
I finally was able to get a small screwdriver to the starter, with the starter all hooked up to the car, and the key on. The engine would not fire! So, the injectors are not getting whatever signal they need.