Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

My car sounds like a cricket!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2001, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car sounds like a cricket!

Yesterday I changed my tranny mount and my EGR valve. It's an AC Delco egr and an Energy Suspension poly tranny mount. EGR is on there snug, with the new gasket in place, so I'm sure that's not the problem. However, after driving on the highway for a while, when I get back onto normal streets, I hear a strange chirping noise. (It sounds like a cricket, that's the best way I know to describe it.) This isn't the first time I've done a tranny mount, so I don't think I've done anything wrong. I'm pretty sure that's where it's coming from too; I got down by the bottom of the car and could hear it much louder there. Has anybody had any similar experiences with Energy Suspension poly mounts?

Also, for another interesting little story... Early this morning, around 3am, driving home from a friends house who was of course an inconvenient 30 miles from my place.. My car breaks. I was driving down the highway when I noticed the instrument panel was dim. So I look down at the voltage, and it's really low. Great, I think, belt broke, but I can't really tell by turning the steering wheel because I'm on the freeway. Well I take the next exit because I know it's got a lot of gas stations all around, and as I'm turning I feel a snap, then a flapping noise, and THEN I'm pretty sure the belt broke. Great, I think... Well, at least it's not too hard to fix. So I get to the gas station and open the hood where I'm greeted by a bunch of steam. "Uhoh..." When the steam clears, I see that the water pump pulley had come off. It fortunately didn't do any damage, it just fell in the engine compartment. Unfortunately, two of the bolts just aren't there anymore and the other two sheared off inside the water pump. ARGH! In any event, when the pulley came off, so did the belt. That got snagged around the crank pulley, which eventually ripped the belt in half. Meanwhile, as the belt was flying around everywhere, it smacks into the lower radiator hose enough to knock it off. Well, with that bit of non-tech out of the way, let's get into the technical part of this. WHY on earth would that happen?

I replaced my water pump a little while ago (Stewarts); did I overtorque the bolts? I didn't have a torque wrench with me at the time, I just tried to tighten them as best I could. Also, do places like Advance Auto sell water pump bolts? Does Lowes? Or am I just **** out of luck on this one and should send my car over the nearest cliff because it's really beginning to ANNOY me lately!?

------------------
89 iroc-z 305 tbi
k&n filtercharger, open element air filter. nuffin' else
Old 07-12-2001, 11:35 AM

Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Transmission: T56
That really sucks about the water pump. Yes, you can get the bots from Advance Auto Parts. I think they are in the radiator section of shelves or they might be in the HELP! section. You could also get them from any hardware store if you know the thread size. Just be sure to get Grade 8 or better bolts just to be safe. Use some thread locker on the bolts and you shouldn't have the problem anymore. Are you gonna have to drill out the two bolts that broke or is there enough sticking out that you can get them with pliers?
Old 07-12-2001, 04:44 PM

Well, there's about one millimeter of the bolt sticking out the back of the water pump, and it's flush in the front, so if I'm lucky I can use some channel locks to turn it out. I love my car, but I"m about to kill it, I swear.

------------------
89 iroc-z 305 tbi
k&n filtercharger, open element air filter. nuffin' else