Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

How do I set the timing ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2001, 09:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I set the timing ???

ok here's my problem... I just swapped from 305 LG4 to a built up 355...

in the process I removed both distributors and didn't mark anything so I have no idea how it's supposed to go back in...

so...

after I preoil the engine , I want to drop in the distributor but I have no idea how to get close to the timing that I want.

I heard about removing #1 spark plug , turning the engine by hand (well not by hand , but ya know what I mean , by the way , do I use the big center bolt on the crank pulley ? I think I'm right....) and when see the #1 piston get to the "top" I do something or other...

so as you can see I don't really know what to do but I Think I get the basic concept... can someone point me in the right direction ? maybe a tech article or something like that ?

also , is it ok to turn the engine by hand before I preoil it ? (I just ordered the oil primer tool from jegs)

now I think that the process I described above will get me somewhat right timing...

so I guess I should also pickup a timing gun to do the final adjustments, right ?

thank you for your help , I really appreciate it
Old 07-11-2001, 11:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: 700R4
hey man..

you're in luck, I wrote a couple of pretty ogod tech articles on how to set your timing

www.IROC-Z.org/tech

you can check out my "installing your distributor" article and "setting your timing" article..

i do it slightly different than alot of people so if you have any questsions, EMAIL ME. i learned the hard way how not to set your timing i give you a couple of tricks that will save you time and alot of frustration..

my email address is admin@IROC-Z.org

let me know if you either liked the articles or didn't find them useful so i can rewrite them if needed..

talk to you later,
Colin

------------------
Webmaster: www.IROC-Z.org