Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

"check engine" light comes off and on...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2001, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"check engine" light comes off and on...

i have an 82ta and the car runs just fine, the engine has about 8000 miles on it, but every now and then the check engine light comes on and i havent a clue why. when it comes on, the car still runs fine, can anyone tell me why the hell this is??????? and how i can check/fix any minor problems? thank you.
Old 07-09-2001, 12:39 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need to check the code so we can tell you what is wrong. Connect the A and B terminals on your ALDL under you steering column with a paperclip, those are the top two on the right, side by side not top to bottom. Count the flashes that occur, the first three will be twelves. After that your real codes will come, post them here.
Old 07-09-2001, 11:41 PM

oh man i wish i knew what you were talking about. what exactly is an ALDL and where will the flashes come from?? sorry i dont know much about cars, oh yea i dont have an owners manual either.
Old 07-10-2001, 09:43 AM

oh yea, does the car need to be on or off??
Old 07-10-2001, 11:48 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 Camaro RS & 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1 L v6 & 305 (5.0L) v8
Transmission: 4L60 Auto
Ok here you go under the dash next to the fuse pannel there is a black plug, A and B terminals are the UPPER RIGHT TWO in the corner terminals. Put a paper clip in to connect these to terminals, then turn the ignition to the ON POSTITION,,, DON"T START THE CAR , then watch the check engine light and count the flashes/codes and let me know, if you can't do this take it into a shop but it gets harder. Ok also do you have any driveablity issues like car runnin ruff or something???
Old 07-10-2001, 01:48 PM

There is a list of the trouble codes in the FAQ section of the Tech Articles page on this site. There is also a detailed procedure on how to pull the codes. Ryan already did a good job with that so you won't need to look at it.
bsa

------------------
"If they do not run, Then they will die." - Stonewall Jackson
'87 IROC, 355 TPI, Converted to SD, 700R4, B&M Megashifter, 3.42, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads, Edelbrock Intake, Accel Runners, Comp Cam, Crane Gold rockers, Lucas 24# injectors, Edelbrock headers, Flowmaster 3'' exhaust, Mallory Ignition, Transgo Performance Shift Kit, Corvette Servo, 2,000 Stall Torque Converter
Old 07-10-2001, 08:42 PM

nope the car runs just fine. the light only comes on at night or early morning. i checked next to the fuse pannel and i didnt see a black plug and i checked inside the fuse pannel and i saw a card with a bunch of fuses on it, nothing else....
Old 07-10-2001, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The ALDL connector is going to be about right above your right knee when you have it rested on the pedals. Just hold the paperclip in place and turn the key to 'on', but don't start the car as previously mentioned. All the relays will turn on except your fuel pump, so that means your fan will turn on and all your guages. It'll blink as follows:
first is the diagnostic code "12"
blink :brief pause: blink, blink
:short pause:
:short pause:
:long pause:
...any other error code...

There will be a long pause in between each error code, and each error code will blink 3 times.

I hope you pick up on the pattern, it's not hard to do, and there isn't really much risk in doing it, one try and you'll get it. It sure beats taking it to a mechanic.

------------------
1985 Camaro SC - 2.8L, auto.

http://www.xenodrgn.f2s.com/Frontright.jpg
Old 07-10-2001, 09:07 PM

Yeah, the ALDL connector is on the right side of the kick panel, right at your knee. It has a black plastic cover on it measuring about 4" across and 2" top to bottom. Pull the cover off and you'll see all the terminals.
bsa
Old 07-10-2001, 09:25 PM

alright i found it and the code was 24. "circuit fault in speed sensor." the only thing i can think of is i took out my gauges and painted the plastic part white so it shines brighter on my gauges. and i must have yanked the speedo cable too hard because it hasnt worked since i put the gauges back. well i'll be dammed, thats it. thanks everybody so much for your help!