Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Starter problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi
Starter problem

I'm having trouble getting a new starter to work.

I have an 010 casting 350 that had a very very old Delco-Remy starter on it for the longest time. It started smoking (yes, I checked, it was from the starter itself) for no reason the other day, and the motor has since decided to plague me with a bizarre problem. After smoking, the starter would only click, obviously signifying a bad electric motor.

So, I replaced it with a new remanufactured Delco from OReilly's. New starter, same result. Click, click, click. All of the electrical accessories and the lights seem to indicate that the battery has plenty of charge, and I've tried jumping this thing with another vehicle, and still only a series of clicks. I went back and swapped my first new starter for a second which they tested, and it tested out fine. I went back and installed it, only to have the same result.

The connections to the starter are solid, and I wouldn't think that any of the wires would be bad, since the solenoid is still functioning fine. The voltage also appears to be fine. There are only 3 wires running to the starter; a purple wire that goes to the smaller bolt post, and two red wires going to the same metal loop thingy that held in by a nut on the big bolt post. The red wires snapped in different locations (one way above the other) when I was taking the old starter out, and so I stripped the wire on the wire that snapped lower, and spliced the wire that snapper higher into it, figuring it would be okay since they both go to the same post.

The install is perfectly normal and fine with the exception of the red wires being spliced into each other, and this thing will still only click. I'm guessing that maybe it's not getting enough voltage to crank the motor somehow, but I'm still fairly baffled. I was able to turn the motor over manually with a large socket wrench on the crank bolt, so it's not locked up.

What could still be messing it up?
Old 03-06-2005, 12:27 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 240 Likes on 195 Posts
As long as you have the voltmeter handy, monitor the voltage directly at the starter motor terminal (below the solenoid) and the starter ground. I'm guessing that you either have a poor solenoid connection, poor positive battery connection, or poor ground connection. The reman starter should have included a new solenoid, so that is less suspect.