Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

distributor plate?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005 | 08:47 PM

distributor plate?

Today while checking and adjusting my timing I realized that it was jumping around a little bit (and yes, the EST was disconnected). The engine seemed to be running fine with the exception of a moderate sputtering every once in a while, but only at low RPMs like accelerating from a stop. I have a new cap and rotor, so I figure that they are okay. I checked to make sure all the plug wires were on tightly onto the plugs and onto the cap. When I pushed down on the cap, I noticed that it wiggled a little bit, so I tried to tighten the two little hold-down screws. It was then that I realized that one of the screws was stripped, or maybe the distributor plate that it screws into is stripped. If it is the plate that is stripped, can I buy just a new plate or do I need a whole new distributor? How hard is it to install a new plate? Would a regular discount auto parts stoe have these or would I have to get it from a dealer?
Old 03-03-2005 | 09:06 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85Z28 87GTA 91GTA 98SS
Engine: SBC, LS-x
Transmission: T-5, 700-R4, T-56
Re: distributor plate?

Originally posted by rsn932
Today while checking and adjusting my timing I realized that it was jumping around a little bit (and yes, the EST was disconnected). The engine seemed to be running fine with the exception of a moderate sputtering every once in a while, but only at low RPMs like accelerating from a stop. I have a new cap and rotor, so I figure that they are okay. I checked to make sure all the plug wires were on tightly onto the plugs and onto the cap. When I pushed down on the cap, I noticed that it wiggled a little bit, so I tried to tighten the two little hold-down screws. It was then that I realized that one of the screws was stripped, or maybe the distributor plate that it screws into is stripped. If it is the plate that is stripped, can I buy just a new plate or do I need a whole new distributor? How hard is it to install a new plate? Would a regular discount auto parts stoe have these or would I have to get it from a dealer?
It's likely the screws in the cap. Buy a new one. Pull the cap off and look. If it isn't then use some JB weild in the base and let it set up. Tap it and you should be fine. Don't over tighten it no more. Just snug is good.