Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Can a bad MAT sensor cause a loss of power?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2001, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can a bad MAT sensor cause a loss of power?

My MAT sensor is going bad, and I just got whupped by a 3.1 Camaro tonight, could that be the cause... also, what is a good brand for fuel injector cleaners, I still think mine are being gay... lastly, will water dripping on an O2 sensor make it go bad right away? I had an anti-freeze leak that dripped directly on the O2 sensor... other than that, the O2 is only about a month old.

Any other suggestions as to why I might be being beat right from the line to a seemingly comprable car? (he has no mods) The MAT code, and occasional (and I mean, occasional) lean O2 is the only thing I could think it is... the car has had a tune up, we both had a full tank of gas (I had plus, he had regular) and we're both automatics. His is a 91 RS 3.1 btw. Help me out here! 5 hp and 5 tq don't mean a 5 foot lead after 50-75 feet.

------------------
1985 Camaro SC - 2.8L, auto.

http://www.xenodrgn.f2s.com/Frontright.jpg
Old 07-06-2001, 03:16 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
You should loose to a 3.1, sorry.

If you have been getting lean O2 SES codes, you should be looking at your O2 sensor if it has never been changed.
Old 07-06-2001, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Glenn91L98GTA:
You should loose to a 3.1, sorry.</font>
Why? We both have the same tranny, if anything i have better rear end gearing, and he's only got 5 more tq and 5 more hp. We both weigh about the same... So what else keeps me from being even with him? Is 5 hp and tq that big of a deal? Or is it what I think, that my engine is going out?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Glenn91L98GTA:

If you have been getting lean O2 SES codes, you should be looking at your O2 sensor if it has never been changed.
</font>
"lastly, will water dripping on an O2 sensor make it go bad right away? I had an anti-freeze leak that dripped directly on the O2 sensor... other than that, the O2 is only about a month old."

Read more carefully.

And lastly, could you answer the question about fuel injector cleaners?

------------------
1985 Camaro SC - 2.8L, auto.

http://www.xenodrgn.f2s.com/Frontright.jpg