Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Multi-question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Depends on the day!
Engine: the kind that runs on money
Transmission: One that holds up, I hope
Multi-question

Hello,

First, Does the engine harness that runs between the firewall and motor bolt to the two upper bell housing/engine block bolts
Second, Does the trans dip stick tube bolt to the bell housing/engine block bolt-wth the harness and is there a ground that goes on there also.
Third, transmission cooler lines. There is a upper and lower fitting on the trans. Do they run upper fitting to upper attaching to the radiator? Lower fitting to lower fitting? Thanks
Old 02-10-2005, 04:24 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 240 Likes on 195 Posts
1. ??

2. Yes. The auto trans dipstick tube brace bolts to the bell housing flange. There may or may not be a ground wire there, but there are usually several gound wires on the back of the RH head.

3. I'm not sure which goes where, but it doesn't matter a lot. The trans oil cooler is mounted in the cooled water tank of the radiator, so flow direction of the oil really won't make a lot of difference. If you have installed and additional trans oil cooler, it would make a difference, since you'd want the oil to go through the radiator oil cooler first.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:56 PM

Thanks for the response. I figured out the cooler lines. The wiring harness that I am talking about is the main one that has all the smaller one coming out of it. It runs behind the dist and has two metal retainers which appear to be spaced apart enough to bolt to the two upper bell housing bolts. If so, how is the easiest way to remove the bolts so to attach the harness.

Also I have a question about some connectors. On the left hand side of the engine there is three connectors coming off of one loom. One connector goes to the o2 sensor, the others I dont know. One of the connectors is a single blade and the other is oval with a single round connector in the middle. (if you look at it straight on is looks like a eye ball). Thanks again
Old 02-10-2005, 09:21 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Removing the bell housing bolts to install the harness clips isn't a fun chore.

As for the wiring harness, the single, straight bladed connector is probably for the coolant temperature guage sensor installed in the LH head. The "oval" connector may be for the A/C compressoror another temperature switch. What are the wire colors at these connectors?
Old 02-10-2005, 09:47 PM

I will check the wire colors tomorrow... I am a little confused about something. Coolant sensors, in the front on the intake is a two prong sensor I think is a coolant sensor, to the right of it someone has installed a brass plug. On the left side of the engine- the blade connector maybe goes to another coolant sensor. There is a place between 1 and 3 that a sensor can go into. I put a two prong coolant sensor but no connector. Also the a/c compressor is located on right side. Thanks for any direction on this.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:47 PM

I will check the wire colors tomorrow... I am a little confused about something. Coolant sensors, in the front on the intake is a two prong sensor I think is a coolant sensor, to the right of it someone has installed a brass plug. On the left side of the engine- the blade connector maybe goes to another coolant sensor. There is a place between 1 and 3 that a sensor can go into. I put a two prong coolant sensor but no connector. Also the a/c compressor is located on right side. Thanks for any direction on this.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:17 AM

The color on the single blade wire is green and the other connector has a black wire then a butt connector and the wire is white. Picture attached.
Attached Thumbnails Multi-question-c-documents-settings-daniel  
Old 02-11-2005, 05:12 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

The blade connector with the single green wire is almost certainly the temerature guage sensor. It plugs ont the sensor on the LH head.

The single white (black at connector) wire may actually be a TAN wire (faded) and could have plugged onto the auxiliary oil pressure switch. If that's not it, it may be a wire for the TACH circuit, but your photo shows the wrong type connector for a tach. A faded tan wire could also be for the cold start injector, but an '89 shouldn't have one. Is the harness original?

I'm probably missing the obvious, but that's what I can find.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:39 PM

Hello, I figured something was not right with my set up so did some more checking. According to the info I found there is only two sensors that use that type of connector and both should be on the right side of the motor. The knock sensor and the fan switch. I dug a little and found the fan switch connector (in poor shape) routed in with the starter wires. And the connector I took a picture of is actually the knock sensor connector. Someone has butt connected a wire to it and ran it around to the drivers side. I am planning on putting everything back the way it should be.