Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Buick GN or TTA? Which should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2001, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buick GN or TTA? Which should I get?

I am giving my brother my 92 1LE and debating whether to buy a GN or a TTA. They are both hard as hell to find but I want to pay around 12,500 for either so they are in good shape. I am sure this board is biased but I really like the sleeper look of the GNs. Do they both have relatively the same curb weight? I am very fimilar with the F-body platform now so that would be the plus of buying the TTA. Which has more room for bigger turbos and intercoolers under the hood? Are their computers the same or will I never be able to find PROM burning stuff for the GN computer? My main concern is GN's don't have as good a message boards and knowledge bais as I have found on this board for thirdgen f-bodies. I still need to do some homework, but do they have the same tranny and rear or did buick put in different parts? I know the engine heads are different(which would mean differnt exhuast manifold I guess), but is that the only differance in the powertrain? You think I can not loose either way I go or should I pick one over the other? Any input welcome.

------------------
She is not the fastest thing in a straight line but she sure will stick in the turns.
Hawaiian Orchid X-SCCA showroom stock 2-time national/ 1 time regional (not with me driving) champ 1LE 92 Z-28

-Suspension parts include koni reds, eibach racing springs, weight-jacks, relocated control arms, and the list goes on for suspension; Port & polished TPI system sitting on top a fully blueprinted, balanced and matched race built 305; Ported, gasket matched and polished heads; edelbrock TES headers, centerforce II clutch; custom 3.4 auburn rear, custom 3” dual cat exhaust(G92 option) with hooker aerochamber muffler(emmisions gutted); 1LE fuel pump and gas tank; SS track Baer braking system; griffin aluminum radiator; MSD coil and wires; 6 point bolted roll cage with simpson 5 point harnesses; pioneer speaker system; sparco seats, all in a package which is just about as light as you can get a weekly driven 3rdgen.
Old 06-18-2001, 01:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 04 GTO
Engine: LS1
Transmission: M12 T56
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by UVA3rdGen:
Are their computers the same or will I never be able to find PROM burning stuff for the GN computer? My main concern is GN's don't have as good a message boards and knowledge bais as I have found on this board for thirdgen f-bodies</font>
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA......BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA...turbo buick guys have been tweaking their computers and using the net to exchange tech data since prolly before you *heard* of the internet. I'd venture you definitely have a lot more homework to do. A good start would be the home of the GN/T-type mailing list, www.gnttype.org
Old 06-18-2001, 01:40 PM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'd get the GN, i'd trade all my f bodys for a clean GN

------------------
ICON Motorsports
1st & 3rd
MM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Old 06-18-2001, 03:28 PM
89IROCZ

Not sure if I am correct or not, but if I am this is a point to consider...

I believe the Grand National has a full frame whereas the Turbo Trans Am has a standard F-Body unibody... full frame is always better, but subframe connectors on the F-Body may be close enough that it is worth getting the TTA if you so choose.

Personaly, I would go with the TTA.

------------------
1989 IROC-Z
350c.i. TPI
rebuilt 700R4 with shift kit
3'' Monza Pacesetter cat back exhaust (minus the muffler)[SOUNDS OF THIS ON MY WEBPAGE]
new dual cats
3.23 Posi rear
hypertech chip
under drive pulleys
adjustable fuel pressure regulator
K&N Air Filters
Excalibur alarm, keyless entry and remote start
new:
struts, shocks, bearings, distributor, cap, rotor, alternator, battery, regulator
245 ZR16 50 Tires, Rotors and brake pads all the way around

Go to my webpage to find out more about it.
You can also see pictures, and hear sounds as well.
http://go.to/iroc-z

AOL IMer: JRShotliff
Old 06-18-2001, 04:21 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89rs
Engine: 400Sb
Transmission: Tremec 3550
I think the TTA is the only choice if your going to leave it close to stock. Otherwise you will destroy the resale of that fine car. If your going to hammer on it get a GN. I think you will have some difficulty finding a TTA for less than 15K. They are very valueable.
Old 06-18-2001, 04:59 PM
TTA
Banned

ok first...

www.gnttype.org
www.turbobuick.com
www.turbobuicks.com
www.turbotransam.com

There are more message boards for Buicks/TTAs than Thirdgens

Info is all over the place.

You can find a TTA from 8K-15K depending on Mileage and willingness to travel.

The GNs and TTAs can interchange Proms.

The GN is different kind of car than a TTA. Decide what you are looking for. They can both be made fast for Cheap cash...

As far as bigger turbos and ICs, The GN is better to mod for stuff like that. The TTA and GN have different Heads. There are a set of Buick Aluminum Heads but they wont bolt to a TTA. There really isnt any good Intercoolers for TTAs, No Roller Rockers etc. The buicks have the advantage but the TTAs are a little faster mod for mod...

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I think if you look hard enough you have find a MINT GN for 10K and a low mileage Mint TTA for 12K

Also, The Trannys are the same. The GN has an 8.5inch 10bolt with 3.42s and Posi as an Option (Stupid) and the TTAs have Aussie 9-Bolts with 3.27s and Posi. No need to ever change gears in either car unless your shooting for like low 10s/9s. The stock gearing works well as the cars are done at 5000rpm.

The TTA rear is weaker than the GN, lots of guys have broken them once you start going 1.5s-1.6s. The GN rears take 1.4s pretty well.

I had 103K miles on my rearend before I replaced it with a Dana44 and I used to leave off the e-brake with 20psi and run low 1.6 60fts...

------------------
-Mike
89 TTA
PT51, V4, 50s, 3DP, Stock Long Block and Convertor.....
11.25@121 w/1.56 24psi Through the Exhaust on a 16psi launch

1998 LS1 T/A 6-Speed
13.10@106 Factory Stock down to the air in the tires. 296HP/319TQ

[This message has been edited by TTA (edited June 18, 2001).]
Old 06-18-2001, 05:03 PM

Where in Va do you live? I live near Dulles Airport. I have a TTA and is very frustrated with it and not able to work on it due to health problems. I might be willing to sell it.

e-mail Peter_Novac@freddiemac.com

Pete
Old 06-19-2001, 12:04 AM

my brother, i dreamed of the stylish curves and ackward stance of the g body longer than i care to recall i dreamed of building a 10 sec monte ss as i got older i opted for the GTA i am driving now, i would in a HEARTBEAT buy a GN the sleeper look is the ultimate and i love the colour options they came with hehehe
you know what to do make me proud
Old 06-19-2001, 12:19 AM

unless you want a GNX i'd go for TTA they were allways faster stock,Plus i hate i absolutely hate the Buick interiors,so ugly.I love Trans ams and i would do just about anything to own a TTA consider yourself lucky that you can even consider buying either car.TTA all the way

------------------
1987 Trans AM GTA
305 5SPD
Hypertech airfoil
gutted maf
kn filter
High Flow Cat,
3"Walker pipe
Dynomax Super turbo Muffler
TB Coolant bypass

"Three of the scariest letters you will ever see GTA"
Old 06-19-2001, 07:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89RSconvtZZ4TPI
Engine: ZZ4TPI
Transmission: 700R4 TRIPP TRANNY
I think room is the biggest difference. You want the close comfort of the f-body or do you want a useable back seat and trunk?
Next would have to be style. You want the upright sleeper look of the GN (though I don't think anyone is suprised by a GN anymore ) or the sleakness of the 3rd gen?
Finally, can you say, handling?
Oh, I wish I was your brother! Someone give me a 92 1LE, or at least the front brakes!

------------------
Rob P
89RSconvtZZ4TPI
Edelbrock Hi-Flow Intake
SLP Dual Cold Air Intake
1 5/8" Headers
Semi-Siamesed Runners
MSD6AL/AdjFPR/IROC frnt@rear swaybar/wonderbar/steeringbox/alum drvshaft/ Alston SFC/3:23posi disc rear/MAC LCA/H.Adams Panhard Rod/KYB struts/ shocks/
92Z28convt5spd
71Impala convt 402BB
BETTER DRIVING THRU SUPERIOR HORSEPOWER!

[This message has been edited by Rob P (edited June 19, 2001).]
Old 06-19-2001, 12:48 PM

Received 240 Likes on 195 Posts
Want a trunk and back set? - Get a Suburban.

Want a sports car? Get a TTA.

Want a fast car? Get a T-TTA - you know, one of those with ALL the cylinders...

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"Let the bodies hit the floor!"
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Old 06-19-2001, 12:56 PM

Thanks for all those sites guys. I really want a daily driver that will consistantly run 13.3ish and get decent gas mileage, that is why I figure the GN or the TTA is the best choise for me. I do not mind a car that does not handle all that great, they are more fun to drive if you ask me. I have got my car up to 110 on exit ramps and it still feels in control, I need the elements of a whining turbo, squeeling tires and understeer to really gets my heart pumping. I agree with who ever said that comment about the TTA interior, few cars on the road can beat that look(audi S4 white on blue being possibly the only one under 40 grand). I looked it up at work today, a GN turbo crate engine (minus oil pan and intake up) only would cost me 1000 bucks with my discount and it has a 3 year warrenty. That is not bad if I ever blow up an engine. Although if I get either of these cars the only mods would be bigger intercooler and maybe bigger turbo(what ever it takes to run in the mid to low 13s). I spent way to much money on my old car and it never ended up being all that fast(mid 14s, my fault for pourly planing). I really just want a car that will show the results on the pavement in a straight line. Besides if I ever want to go down any of the windy mountain roads around here I can always just call up my brother and let him leave me in the dust in a much slower car that never seems to run of the road. Ok guys I will keep you updated.
Old 06-19-2001, 12:57 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: Buick
Engine: 231
Transmission: 200r4
If you live in southern va I got a nice Gn for sale.
Old 06-19-2001, 07:40 PM

Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: 454
Transmission: Th400
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Leave the firebird stock. If you want to modify then get the buick with a wasted engine at a bargain price then drop a big block in it.
Old 06-19-2001, 08:44 PM

There's a GN for sale in the new paper Auto Trader for $4750. I'll give you the number if you want it. It's the Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Tennessee edition. Find a bargain TTA and get both.
Old 06-19-2001, 09:35 PM

Car: '87 IROC-Z
Engine: 406 Superram/DFI
Transmission: Auto BTE 3000 conv
if you want a daily driver get a GN. if you want a nice weekend car get a TTA. if some ***** in a suburban totals your car on the way to work, I'd rather it be a GN that a TTA.

------------------
Dan
------
87 IROC-Z, 5.7,auto, 3.27, leather, !cat, Holley fpr, K&N'S, SLP 1-3/4" Jet-Hot coated headers, Accel .219 cam, Comp 1.5 roller tip rockers, $uperPITAram, Edelbrock lower intake, Holley 52mm tb, Dynomax\Flowmaster catback. Coming Soon- DFI, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc heads, 406" money pit

1987 Camaro Z28 - 5.2tpi, auto, 3.73s, ram air, airfoil, ported plenum, !cat, !tbcoolant, !smog, !4th gear

1989 Pontiac 20th Anniversary Turbo Trans Am - 161,000 miles, !cat, 9" K&N - SOLD
Old 06-19-2001, 10:22 PM

What about the Regal T-Type, it was a sleeper GN. My buddy has one (an 86)with 27k original miles on it and would probably sell it for $8500 or so.

------------------
Black 89 IROC...355, Solid Crower Cam, TFS heads. 12.0 @ 120.3mph with a 1.9 60ft...all motor
Old 06-19-2001, 11:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2018 Camaro SS
Engine: LT1 w/Paxton 1500SL
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by giovanhalen:
Leave the firebird stock. If you want to modify then get the buick with a wasted engine at a bargain price then drop a big block in it.</font>
yeah have a big block as a daily driver why would u go big block when a turbo 3.8 can do what a big block does and be better on gas mileage?
Old 06-20-2001, 12:08 AM

Car: 1990 RS
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH-350
there is a CHERRY gn for sale here in memphis with 25k on it. this guy is the original owner with ALL paperwork. he wants 17k for it. he lives right around the corner from me and i had to make an appointment to go look at it. its in storage and it is driven like 6 times a year. he said he goes out there every few days and starts it up just to keep it in shape, and thats when he sets appointments. just some brain candy.
Old 06-20-2001, 07:45 AM

Car: 89 GTA, 89 Formula
Engine: L98, LB9
Transmission: Auto, 5-Speed
UVA3rdGen,

You may want to check again on those supposed turbo crate engines. From what I've heard on the Buick websites, new crate motors from GM have been extinct for quite a while at any price. If they're rebuilt, be very careful because the standard N/A shortblock parts are not the same by far and $1000 sounds kinda cheap. Consult TTA's links for more details, because I think you will find people who have found that out the hard way.

As far as wanting to go low 13s with a GN, you should be able to do that on the stock turbo & I/C (and most everything else). A chip, race gas, & tires should get you most of the way there. Go to the recipe section of gnttype.org and you'll see what I mean.

I had my GN before my latest 3rd gen. I considered a TTA but I didn't want T-Tops (which are ALMOST a given with a TTA, unless you want to spend a lot more $) or another automatic trans vehicle. In the end, I decided to try and find a decent G92 car.

Now I've got the GN for street/strip and the Formula for auto-x/daily driver.

The only bummer about a GN... don't leave it stock because EVERYBODY thinks that they have something to prove against you!

------------------
89 G92 Formula
87 Buick Grand National
Bunch of other stuff
Old 06-20-2001, 08:17 AM
TTA
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by UVA3rdGen:
I looked it up at work today, a GN turbo crate engine (minus oil pan and intake up) only would cost me 1000 bucks with my discount and it has a 3 year warrenty.
</font>

Sorry but thats for a N/A 3.8 Motor. You can't buy a motor from GM anymore and a "Rebuilders" Motor is NOT going to be a 109 Block with a Rolled Fillet Crank and have Turbo Pistons in it. A few people have gone that route and promptly planted the Crank in the street. Do it right or dont do it at all....

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Although if I get either of these cars the only mods would be bigger intercooler and maybe bigger turbo(what ever it takes to run in the mid to low 13s).
</font>
It takes 4 turns of the wastegate, 160 thermo, Gut the Cat and Change the Chip to run low 13s. But you better watch out, it might run a 12 on you if your not carefull The car will run mid 12s EASY on $1000 bucks in stupid small tweaks... Just do your homework and read about them before you start bolting stuff on or you'll go backwards and make it slower...

My first time at the track with my TTA I just wanted a 12.99, Damn thing went 12.19 on the first try. Its so easy that people dont belive it... It makes it that much more fun

Good Luck...

------------------
-Mike
89 TTA
PT51, V4, 50s, 3DP, Stock Long Block and Convertor.....
11.25@121 w/1.56 24psi Through the Exhaust on a 16psi launch

1998 LS1 T/A 6-Speed
13.10@106 Factory Stock down to the air in the tires. 296HP/319TQ

[This message has been edited by TTA (edited June 20, 2001).]