Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

ECM , sensors, or scan tool?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2001, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt SLP Torsen, 3.73 ratio
ECM , sensors, or scan tool?

Ok, I have been havine some on-going problems. More like annoyances! The car is still plenty drivable but sometimes loses power/refuses to start for a while/gets poor gas milage/etc. Here's what I have been getting. Scan tool TPS voltage 0V DMM TPS voltage .54 at idle. Scan Tool CTS 248* Dashboard gauge 190* Don't have temp probe to test resistance on CTS. (But maybe I should check against what ecm is saying?) Scantool Spark advance minimum of 20* and at wot 2nd gear got as high as 33*BTDC real who knows, can't check timing while driving So to try and figure out whats going on, I found that sometimes while hot, the motor will just bog down to no end, almost like I was running on a cavalier motor, not a T/A motor! So I grab the scantool and see what it shows...get it running nice and hot, with the scan tool monitoring (or so I think) Then without looking at it, I back out the menu to manual record data. It only has 5 seconds worth of memory, so I get to a lonely straightaway and I punch it while it's in the bogging mode, as soon as I hit the petal, I hit the enter button to begin recording. Man did the motor bog!!! I thought for sure that this should shed *some* light on why my motor bogged so bad. The rest of the way back to my apts is clear streets and green lights, so I can't chech the data. So I pull in the complex and read it saying errors recording data. I try and view the current data...communications error...I shut the car down and wait 10 secs, start it back up (the scan tool remained on) Still no data..communications error. So I shut the car down and pull the scan tool, and wait 30 seconds. No I can get data again, but I also have power again, no more bogging down. So I go back the the straightaway, floor it again, gets the data, but once again, it didn't bog down! So I am left baffled by some of the seemingly goofy data it's reporting (or I have bad senors) and the fact that the scan tool coudn't communicate w/ the ecm. Is this the scan tool, the ECM, or a buncha sensors?

------------------
Corry Lazarowitz
clazarow@voicenet.com
clazarowitz@hotmail.com
1987 Pontiac Trans AM (GTA?) 350 or is it a 305?! TPI
SLP 1 3/4" headers, 3" cat back (stock cat
MSD ignition.
MSD Blaster SS coil.
3.73 Rear end gears
Accell 8.8 Wires
Bosh +4 Spark Plugs (Don't know if they really help but hell!)
Holley AFPR
Race Built Automatic trans ('vette servo, shift kit, tightly packed clutches)--just needs titanium gears now!
Newly gutted cat (the car gutted it's own cat!)
Hypertech Chip (Just found out I had it! :eek
More soon when funds are avail...
Old 05-27-2001, 09:18 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
plugged cat, fuel preasure or volumn problems would be where i looked first.

------------------
ICON Motorsports

1st & 3rd
MM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Old 05-27-2001, 11:25 AM

Cat shot out the tailpipes a few weeks ago, switched to an AFPR just after the cat shot out. It's running about 45 psi w/ the vac line disconnected.
Anything else?

Edit: Forgot to mention, the damned thing sets a TPS code no matter what (Both tps codes! )

[This message has been edited by Corry (edited May 27, 2001).]
Old 05-31-2001, 08:52 PM

bttt
EDIT:
Man this thing is getting annoying, often hard to start when hot, I think this is the main problem so I guess I'll run through the diagnostic tree for HTSWH. Still I wonder about what my coolant temp *actually* is while driveing, is it the good 190* the dash gauge reports, or the 248* the scan tool reports? Do I get 36* BTDC timing while under laod as the scan tool reports? Or does it jump back just a few degrees like I can see happening w/ the timing light while the car is stopped?

[This message has been edited by Corry (edited May 31, 2001).]