Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

posi traction

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2001, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
posi traction

Hi,
I want to get posi traction put into my rear end and I have a couple questions. For one, am I going to need a whole new rear end? And either way how much will all of it cost with it and getting the work done? What is the best place to look for one and are there any suggestions of what type I should get? Thanks
Old 05-29-2001, 08:20 AM

Look on the transmissions/drivetrain board. There are a lot of topics pertaining to this. Or do a search for "posi". Basically you could either try too find a posi rear froma yard or you can buy a take off posi from SLP. You have to have a 3 series carrier for this though (3.23 or numerically higher gears.) I have heard anywhere from 200-300 dollars to put it in. I think the best option is to get a Powertrax. They are available from Summitt for about $300 and people have good things to say about them. The best part is that you can do the install in the driveway with common hand tools.
bsa

------------------
"If they do not run, Then they will die." - Stonewall Jackson
'87 IROC, 355 TPI, Converted to SD, 700R4, B&M Megashifter, 3.42, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads, Edelbrock Intake, Accel Runners, Comp Cam, Crane Gold rockers, Lucas 23# injectors, Edelbrock headers, Flowmaster 3'' exhaust, Mallory Ignition, Transgo Performance Shift Kit, Corvette Servo, 2,000 Stall Torque Converter
Old 05-29-2001, 09:32 PM

ok, say I want a whole new rear end with 3.73 gears and disc brakes. Does anyone know where I could find one? Oh yea, also, whenever I start my car it takes a while to turn over and it won't until after i hit the gas pedal a couple times, is that just becuase the starter is going bad?
Old 05-30-2001, 04:09 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the starter and throttle aren't related so the slow cranking isn't in the throttle. call a junk yard in your area and ask for prices. you could take a posi carrier and swap your ring gear to it and then install it in your rear end.

------------------
ICON Motorsports

1st & 3rd
MM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Old 05-30-2001, 07:52 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 Firebird WS6
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
My best advice (and least expensive) would be to get the SLP takeoff torsen from http://www.slponline.com and go to jegs and get their richmond gear with installation kit in any ratio between and including 3.23 to 3.73

If you can't do the install yourself and don't want to try it, take these parts to a reputable garage.

You already have the 28 spline axles, a powertrax runs around 400 bux and isn't the smoothest differential for street duty IMO.

The slp takeoff is around 99 bux, gear kit around 300.

If you live near a pull-it-yourself yard just go grab a rear out of the latest year 3rd gen with a v6 you could find. I paid $25 for a complete rear last week. Disc brake rears cost the same there, but they are hard to find and overrated IMO because of all the problems *** 'd with them that even GM knows about. Don't expect better braking, and you also need to change the proportioning valve if switching to discs, so why bother...

it's alot easier doing this work with the rear out, and picking up a spare rear won't cost you downtime and allow you to do the job slowly (correctly).

I haven't met a later (86 up) v6 rear with auto trans that didn't have 3.42 gears, so inspect the gears for wear (should be shiny, but not sharp or have a ridge) and you could reuse them without removing the pinion (Less the install kit, but you WILL need to get shims for the carrier.)

the slp takeoff already has bearings and they recommend changing them because "other differentials banged into them" but when I recieved mine they looked just A-OK, so I swapped the ring gear from the junkyard trans onto the SLP, reused the carrier races from the junkyard trans (They were in great shape, I removed the bearing caps in the yard to check them) and all you will need to do is set the backlash. Around .010" for slightly used gears is on the money. The factory shims didn't work with the torsen to get 'the same backlash' so there must be case differences. All you need to find is the shims and i'm not sure if jegs could just sell you them seperate, but a you find a website that specializes in rears and axles and stuff and I'm sure they could set you up with a small package of assorted carrier shims and gear marking compound for a few dollars. If that junkyard rear is 89 prior, you will need the axles from your car to complete this.

Total cost involved:

SLP Torsen takeoff: I paid $86 delivered (It was on sale.
Junkyard V6 rear: $25 (maybe higher, but thats what I paid.)
Shims: I have a bunch laying around, maybe worth $10 from a con artist.
Axles: You already have 'em

Pretty cheap rear huh?

Setting the rear up isn't difficult, especially if you don't have to do the pinion in this case. At first I tried the 1 big hunk of shim from the old carrier, but this left me with no backlash at all.

Then I just stacked up three big ones, 3 mediums and a small on the ring side(I didn't bother mic'ing them) and the same combo on the other side (just to take out all the clearence and make it tight without beating them in) and this left me with too much b/l (rock the ring up and down and see how much play before the pinion moves)

Then I moved one medium from the right side to the left and this looked good. A little bit of ring motion. I then took another small shim and rolled the carrier out by rocking the pinion back and forth and placed the shim between two 'beefier' ones and drove it home on the right side with a couple gentle but firm whacks of a hammer to preload the bearings. I buttoned everything up after checking the backlash again and used a dial indicator this time instead of my eye and it was right on the money (.009") for a slightly used gearset. It could be slightly looser (upto .012") for used gears, but this was ok.

Soem may scoff at this conglomorate of junkyard parts, reusing races and the like, but if the gears arn't bad, the races arn't scored and everything checks out A-OK, this is the #1 deal of the century on a performance rear cheaper than $150

I did up my last project (The formula) with an auburn pro posi and new everything with richmonds and now I could kick myself in the *** since I paid over $700 and this rear will be just as good on my camaro swapping to a 350 project.
Old 05-30-2001, 08:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 82 camaro SC
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Powertrax for 400 bucks? The completely quiet and smooth no slip system maybe.
If you want to keep your gears, the powertrax is around 300 bucks plus a couple of quarts of diff fluid. You don't remove your current gears or carrier to install it, so no 'special' tools or skills are required. Do some searchs on powertrax on this board or send me an email. You won't find any limited slip stronger or that has more traction.

------------------
82 camaro--original steering wheel, brake/gas pedals, seats--everything else modified
82camaro

[This message has been edited by 82camaro (edited May 30, 2001).]
Old 05-30-2001, 12:25 PM

geez! how pathetic! i jsut went to the powertrax webpage.. and they misspelled camaro, as camero! how sinful... but they do make some cool stuff so i guess it doesnt reallymatter. hehe
(http://www.powertrax.com/auto.htm)

[This message has been edited by mtx28 (edited May 30, 2001).]
Old 05-30-2001, 06:27 PM
Banned

While we're on this topic...What exactly would I need if i wanted 3.73 gearing? I JUST want both wheels to spin. I don't care about brakes or anything. I just need posi, and I need it to fit right in place without changing axles. Thanks

Oh could you list prices too? I saw some above though.

------------------
1992 Pontiac Firebird (stock)
- 5.0L V8 TBI / Automatic Trans / Every option, excluding leather
- Killer car audio system:
  • Aiwa CDC-MP3 head unit
  • Rockford Fosgate 360a2 amp
  • pair of 12" MTX Thunder 5000s in a custom box
  • Pioneer 3-way 6x9s, soon to add more more more!