Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Think my engine is dead.. hear very loud knocking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2001, 01:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think my engine is dead.. hear very loud knocking.

Well, as I was in a parking lot today I heard a knocking noise coming from my engine. Sounds like metal on metal. Sounds like it is coming from the engine, but can't tell if it's from the top or bottom. It gets louder with RPM, car doesn't seem slower or idle poorly though. I just put a paxton SN2000 on a few days ago, get about 6lbs boost. How can I tell what it is? It sounds like garbage and is really loud, almost sounds like its from the front of the engine.. I am guessing I need a new engine now. Can I drive it back and forth to work school (~4 miles) for a few weeks until I can go get my old car? Will I break anything (besides the engine) if I keep driving it? I have done just about everything to my car but touch the engine below the intake manifold so I don't know a lot about engine stuff. I was figuring that I would drive my mazda for a while and buy a recently rebuilt 350/355/383 shortblock and put my own cam, heads, intake and headers on. I looked in the local classifieds and found an engine I was thinking of buying this is the listing:

------------------------
355 Cu. In. Chevy engine. Two-bolt main. Forged flat-tops. No heads, intake or cam. Includes balancer, oil pan, flexplate. $350 firm.

Extra Text: Originally out of a '76 Corvette. It is a former L-48 that had been rebuilt before I bought the car. It was running perfectly when it came out of the 'Vette. It was removed so I could experiment with another SBC engine combo. You can inspect this engine. NO JUNK HERE! Features .030''-over forged flat-top pistons (TRW Part No. L2256-30. Check P.A.W. for new price.) The bearings, crank, and rods are in good shape and you could take this short block, stab in your cam, add your oil pump, heads, intake, water pump, etc., and run it as-is. Or you could freshen it up using the existing components with fresh rings and bearings or do whatever you want to do.
--------------------------------------

If I changed to an earlier style (non centerbolt) intake could I use this block with a set of cheap heads (for now) and a decent cam? Maybe the vortec intake will actually come out, can I use that and some vortech's with it? Can I use centerbolt heads (like the vortech's or alum. L98 heads) with this car? It is from a '76 so it isn't roller cam.. should I wait and get a new roller block and/or 4-bolt instead?

Do you think that is a good deal? I really don't want to touch the short block for time and money reasons.

I also saw this ad:
------------------------------------------
$800.00
Price Negotiability OBO
Ad Text 383 engine and 727 trans unbolted in car, 383 has purple cam high rise intake 850 carb have extra parts that go with it looking to get rid of it ASAP
------------------------------------------

Does this seem like a better deal? With an older style stock TPI or aftermarket intake could I just drop this thing into my car with no work? That might be a better deal plus I get to say I have a 383.. and I don't need to worry about heads/cam and can sell the intake/carb. I need a new crossmember (hit a curb going 25) anyway so with the engine out I could do that too more easily. Should I change the cam to a computer friendly TPI one before I put the engine in?

I could offer this guy something like $500-$600 just for the engine and see if he bites. I am not super concerned with having a screamer, maybe something a little better than my weak 305 LB9 so I probably at most will just change the stock base and leave the rest of the intake stock. If I sell my blower (all of a week and a half old) I could probably have the money to swap an engine in (and afford headers and prom burning tools). Maybe I'll do that. I dunno.

Sorry for the long post, any replies are greatly appreciated, please let me know if I can drive my car, i need to go to work tommorow and need to know if I should get a ride/take the bus or drive.

I forgot, I get normal oil pressure 25-30 psi at idle. And the noise seems to come and go kind of.

Oh yeah, How long do you think it would take to swap an engine in? I have never done it but am pretty good at working on my car.

------------------
1989 GTA w/ 305 LB9 w/ T5 - Stock TPI/LB9 w/ iron manifolds, Paxton SN2000, N.O.S. Throttle Body Plate Kit, Eibach Pro-Kit, bunch of other little stuff.

[This message has been edited by Forced_GTA (edited May 28, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Forced_GTA (edited May 29, 2001).]
Old 05-29-2001, 07:21 AM

Car: Camaro sc
Engine: 350 cid.
Transmission: 700R4
I'd go with the 355.The 383 has got to be a Chrysler engine with a 727 trans behind it,not the 350 block with 400 crank you think it is .(Hope you haven't bought it yet!)You could probably change the motor in your car in a couple of days,IF you have experienced help,and IF nothing goes wrong.As for the knock,i'd suspect a rod or crank bearing failure maybe,change your oil and check for small bits of metal in the old oil,splitting your oil filter open can tell a lot also.Just be thankful you don't drive a FORD.....

------------------
86'Camaro Berlinetta SC,former 2.8,now 327 cid with 350 tpi heads(pocket ported)summit k1102 cam,305 H.O. aluminum intake,edelbrock 1405 carb,recurved HEI with accel adjustable vac advance can,rebuilt 700r with shift kit,B&M mega shifter,grant steering wheel,t-tops,american racing wheels,louvers....now if i had fresh paint,subframe conn.,cowl induction hood..sigh..
Old 05-29-2001, 11:38 AM

I would do a quick check of your rocker arms first. I broken or loose stud would would cause the engine to make a loud slapping noise too.

Also... with the blower you need a lower compression ratio. Otherwise the engine will pop like an over-ripe tomatoe.
Old 05-29-2001, 01:00 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Formula, 79 Trans Am, 72 LeMans
Engine: 305 TPI, 6.6, 350 Pontiac
Transmission: T5, 3 speed, TH350
the trans on the 383 is a mopar tranny. Same with the engine as well, chargers and what not used them

------------------
1991 Chevy truck 5.7 engine
Competition Cam 454 lift
Edelbrock Valve Springs
Holley Red Electric Fuel Pump
Eldelbrock Performer RPM Intake
Holley 750 Double Pumper
68 jets front 74 jets rear
Turbo 350 transmission
B&M shift kit
Custom drive shaft
3.73 Rear end
Flowmaster exhaust
No emissions or computer
Grant steering wheel
http://www.fbody.com/members/Camrs89/
Old 05-29-2001, 04:47 PM

Yeah, whoops. Realized that the 383 was not a chevy this morning when I was thinking, what the heck is a 727..? oh yeah, torqueflight. Any help with the engine problems, the sound comes and goes, I was thinking of taking it to a mechanic, but havn't been to one in years, so don't know who to take it to. Does the 355 seem like a good deal? Can I convert it to roller cam with the stuff on my 305?