Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

ZZ4 ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2001, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZZ4 ???'s

Guys I'm glad I found this forum. I've mostly owned Mustang 5.0's in the past and a '94 TA. I'm purchasing a '87 Formula on Tues. It's a one owner 80K mi. car with a recent ZZ4 swap. The guy sent the car to Scroggin-Dickey a little over a year ago to have this work done. He then put about 2K on it and parked it to go overseas. Now he is having a '70 Roadrunner built, so this one's for sale. If I would have done this I would know every detail about it, but he can't answer all my questions. What I gathered from him and looking at the car:
ZZ4 crate TPI w/Hot cam & ported heads
Larger runners
Edelbrock 58mm TB
Crane Fireball HI-6
Chip (JET I think)
Headers & full exhaust
Don't Know:
Upgraded fuel pump?
Injectors?

The car is sitting at the shop where his Mopar is being built and the shop owner said the car wasn't tuned properly when he first saw it. He's drove it a couple of times a month to keep the battery up, and tuned it somewhat to his preference (much timing and a little race gas). What should the initial timing be? Do I need to unplug anything when adjusting the timing? I'm unfamiliar with the Crane box...comments? The tranny and rear are stock. I think the first thing it needs is a ~2800 stall and shift kit. Any comments...brands, experiences?

This car rips and I know I'm getting a deal at $5000, but I just wish I knew more about the ZZ4 and the 3rd gens in general. I greatly appreciate any help. Sorry so long.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 05-28-2001, 07:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89RSconvtZZ4TPI
Engine: ZZ4TPI
Transmission: 700R4 TRIPP TRANNY
Sounds like a really good deal. The ZZ4 motor is over $3000 new, the LT4 Hot Cam is another $100 plus and it probably has the 1.6 GM roller rockers, pull a valve cover and check. There is a tan wire/black stripe back along the firewall on the passenger side that needs to be unplugged to set the timing. This disconnects the ecm from the timing path. I would set the timing around 6 deg advance. The car may have an aftermarket chip and those usually advance base timing. A scanner will tell you more.
Read in the tech articles on setting the Throttle Position sensor and the IAC. If those are not set the car will not run properly.
Sounds like a killer set up. You'll love the handling of the 3rd gen over the foxbody you're used to.
Later.

------------------
Rob P
89RSconvtZZ4TPI
Edelbrock Hi-Flow Intake
SLP Dual Cold Air Intake
1 5/8" Headers
Semi-Siamesed Runners
MSD6AL/AdjFPR/IROC frnt@rear swaybar/wonderbar/steeringbox/alum drvshaft/ Alston SFC/3:23posi disc rear/MAC LCA/H.Adams Panhard Rod/KYB struts/ shocks/
92Z28convt5spd
71Impala convt 402BB
BETTER DRIVING THRU SUPERIOR HORSEPOWER!