Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Removal of EGR effects

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2001 | 11:20 AM

Removal of EGR effects

I am running a 383 TPI in my Jeep and since I have edelbrock perf RPM cylinder heads, I have no EGR running. I have reprogrammed my spark tables to reduce part throttle advance and the motor runs well. It is my understanding that the addition of the exhaust gas into the cylinders reduces peak combustion temps and NOx emissions. For this reason, I am assuming non-EGR motors would run a little hotter coolant temps. I live in Phoenix, AZ and in the summer my temps run up to 215 degrees on a hot day. Does anyone have any experience with removing EGR and if their coolant temps went up?? Just wondering if I hook up the corvette external EGR will my coolant temps drop in the summer. Thanks alot!!
Old 05-24-2001 | 12:41 PM

Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: L03
Transmission: A4
yeah, the EGR helps control the temp, if I remember correctly.. if it doesn't, then it has some effect on the temp.. I'm just too tired to remember exactly.. but yes, it does effect the temperature in some way.
Old 05-24-2001 | 02:07 PM

I dont think its going to help at all.

Keep in mind they didnt use EGR valves until around 1973, and even then there are lots of cars out there that have built up engines and no EGR valve. The problem (if it is one) lies elsewhere.
Old 05-24-2001 | 02:16 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
EGR has little effect, if any, on coolant temps.

215° on a hot day sounds about right to me, considering that the factory set the cooling fans to come on at about 230° in the F cars... I would certainly not get excited and install EGR just for that, even if it would lower it. That temp is fine.

------------------
"So many Mustangs, so little time..."
ICON Motorsports
Old 05-24-2001 | 03:53 PM

Car: 1990 Formula
Engine: 5.7 liter
Transmission: 700R4
In no way does the EGR effect coolant temps. Although it effects combustion temps. The way I understand it is,"when a small amount of exhaust gas is combined with the incoming air/fuel mixture,the mixture is diluted enough to lower peak combustion temperatures and therefore prevent the formation of oxides of nitrogen (NOx), a harmful pollutant. As a side benefit, the EGR system can also help reduce detonation (spark knock), which is also caused by excessively high combustion temperatures" (thanks Phil) Also, it is my personal experience that when I have EGR on my engine, I have more flexiblity on my ignition timing, meaning I can have more advance before engine knock,compared to no EGR and hittin spark knock sooner....I could be wrong, I have been before...

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I have experience......unfortunatly its a result of bad judgement......</font>

click below to check out....
www.formula350.com

or click below to email me
webmaster@formula350.com
Old 05-24-2001 | 06:54 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
Formula90, you are correct. When I experimented with the EGR and eprom burning, I found that I couldn't get anywhere near the amount of advance that I could with the EGR functioning.

The EGR is an integral part of my running Highway Mode with 17.2:1 AF ratio with 47* of spark advance. This gets me almost 30 US mpgs, where stock I was lucky to get 24 US mpgs. Without the EGR, it was around 20 US mpgs.

With proper eprom tuning, there is no reason not to run an EGR (unless your intake/head combo doesn't support it). When you go WOT, the EGR cuts out so you don't loose any power. When you are just cruising down the highway, why make the Arabs richer?
Old 05-24-2001 | 11:09 PM

Car: 1990 Formula
Engine: 5.7 liter
Transmission: 700R4
wow, with 30mph who the hell needs imports
After the car gets to where i want it, I would love to start burning my own eeproms. The equipment could be had for little money, its just trial and error untill I get it right. It couldnt be any different than a eeprom on a DSS access card, using bin images and such....hmmmmm just another hobby just waitin to be explored!!! ECM(car) eeproms that is!!

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I have experience......unfortunatly its a result of bad judgement......</font>

click below to check out....
www.formula350.com

or click below to email me
webmaster@formula350.com
Old 05-25-2001 | 10:13 AM

Hey Glen: Nice to hear from you again. Its kinda funny, I am kinda proud of how "little" advance my motor needs, and you are bragging about your 47 deg advance! The highest factory numbers I have seen are in the bin from a 90 corvette and I think the max is around 41 degrees. I am still amazed how much the EGR affects the burn speed in the combustion chamber!!! I am on my 12th spark table right now and I just keep takin advance out so I know how much EGR affects required spark lead. I am running numbers like 10 to 14 deg in the 2000 rpm and 50-80 kPa region which tells me I have a good fast burn combustion chamber. I set up my motor with a tight 0.035" quench height for good turbulence and it must be working. I also chose cylinder heads with a modest 175cc intake volume for good velocity at lower rpms. I have also noticed with my small 204 deg cam with 5 deg advance and a 383 displacement, my low rpm advance numbers must also be reduced due to very good cylinder filling. After going thru this tuning excercise I wonder how in the world you can just send an engine build sheet to a chip burner and get a really optimized chip?? Too many variables.....

------------------
Dave Zelinka