Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

What kind of engine should I get? Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2001 | 12:36 AM

What kind of engine should I get? Please Help!!

I own a mint 82 Z28, with the 5.0 crossfire. I have put on headers, fuel chips, and a couple other little mods, and it has great pep on it, but it just does not have the low down torque and horsepower that I want. I want something that I punch the gas, the tires will let loose. But, I have to stay in a reasonable price range also, probably around 2-3k. Which engines would you recommend, and what packages? I know crate builds a great engine, but there is so many options out there on each specific engine, which engine would be the overall best for me? I am looking to beat those annoying honda imports that sound like they have a dirt bike engine in them, and I would like to take on the GT mustangs, and other fast cars. I will for sure get Posi 3.73 gears, and a sweet exhaust, im mostly wanting different options for the actual engine, and I know this is the place, and I understand there is so many different opinions, I just want to weigh all my options, please reply with ANY or ALL info you might have for me. Or ask me any questions, thanks alot guys. I just want to get my 82 thirdgen a screamin machine, thanks.

Nate
Old 05-21-2001 | 12:41 AM
Supreme Member

zz4

Crate isn't a Company, its a Type IE crate motor, A motor that comes complete, built by someone else deliverd to your Door.

the ZZ4 is a crate motor, built by GM, makes 350 Hp, and Should acheive all those goals that you describe. It costs just over 3k.

It will also requre, however, extensive drivetrain mods to be able to use that power

Especially if you have 200C...

------------------
60 Ranchero - Project ( Money Hole )
85 Sport Coupe LG4 - Daily Driver
Reader's ride -> My Ride

Just another Hot Rod kid, or thats what they all tell me.
Livin' the Stereotype
Old 05-21-2001 | 12:50 AM

sorry, do not know alot about engines yet. I can work on them pretty well, but when it comes to talking about actual engines and installing them, im clueless, thanks for the input, what kind of mods will i need for the rear end? Im not sure if I have a 200c or not, this is a way weird question, do not laugh, but is there a way to change from a auto to a clutch? probably not, but its a thought that will get answered. keep postin guys, i really appreciate this.. maybe a engine that is a little cheaper? because I have to consider installation, and rear end mods, let me know guys.

nate
Old 05-21-2001 | 01:00 AM

Car: 90 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T56
look at sdpc2000.com....maybe get a stock replacement 350, and mod it.

i think they are fairly cheap.

yes you can switch from auto to manual, but if you did, you wouldnt want a t5, youd want a t56 (6 speed), and this has been done by many. (5 speed wont hold up to much tq)

Old 05-21-2001 | 01:01 AM
Supreme Member

The only Stupid Question... is the one you Don't ask. Duh!

Now...

In 82, If you have an automatic Transmission< You have the 200C. Its not a very Good transmission, Hence that was its only year.

yes, You can Convert to a manual transmission, and easier than you think. Popular choices are the T5, and the T56.

Now if, as you say, You don't have alot of experiance with these things, I would Suggest You Instead change to a Th350. its a Bolt In, and its MUCH stronger.

Now, as far as the rearend, If you Go with a POSI 3.73, like you wanted, That is a Good Choice. Keep In mind with 3.73's your gas milage will Suffer, So if this is your daily driver, that may be a problem.

Especially with a Th350, ahha.

Anyway, I would recommend finding yourself a Later model, 28 spline axle Rear, and Swapping in a Zexel Torsen Posi takeoff from www.slpeng.com and the 3.73 Ring and pinion of your choice ( Richmond )

that, properly installed, Should hold up Fine for you. Stephen here has his goin into the 11's. You wont be near that

Steve spohn, One of our Sponsors uptop, can supply all the rear suspension components you Will need to put that power to the pavement.

All this in Mind, I suggest you sit around, read the boards, and take in information For a While, Befor eyou Commit your $$ to anything. This stuff isnt hard, but its not easy, either

------------------
85 Sport Coupe LG4 - Daily Driver 15.26 @ 87.0
Reader's ride -&gt; My Ride

Livin' the Stereotype
Old 05-21-2001 | 01:24 AM

Thanks for all this help. Ok, you proven to me I have the 200c, do you know what gear ratio I have by knowing that and the year? im just curious. this is my prob, my 305 does great, do not get me wrong, it still will beat most cars, it just does not have the pickup that i want, do you think its worth me putting a cam in it, gears, etc? or just bash it and get the 350? which would be more cost effective? What do I all need to change to a 6 speed? how much is it? how much is the th350? and I have a 87 toyota pickup that is also mint, which I drive alot, I understand this will suck on gas, that is okay, my truck gets 20mph. I just want a nice looking car that I can make show one day. and this is where I need to start. keep replying, I apprecaite this, and check your email really quick, thanks again.

Nate

Old 05-21-2001 | 01:40 AM

Car: 90 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T56
get a 6 speed....more fun, and its got that 2nd overdrive, which goes fantastic with high gears out back, even 4.10s.
its gonna cost ya anywhere from 600 to 2000 depending on how resourceful you are.

i say get a 350 for sure....
with the 6speed, your gas mileage will be better than it is now

Old 05-21-2001 | 12:03 PM

600-2000 is a huge difference!!! is there any way that you guys know off the top of your head where to get this? and the part #, so i know I get the right items? let me know, thanks again everyone.

Nate
Old 05-21-2001 | 12:47 PM
Supreme Member

Ill Catch you online, Nate.

------------------
85 Sport Coupe LG4 - Daily Driver 15.26 @ 87.0
Reader's ride -&gt; My Ride

Livin' the Stereotype