Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

I've had a revelation...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2001 | 03:58 PM

hummm makes you think....doesn't it.

------------------
97 formula w/6speed,cags skipshift eleminator, hurst billet pro shifter, 30#injectors,adjustiable fuel presure regulator,Moroso cold air induction,ported mass air sensor,accell300+ ignition box, accell 9000 wires, bosch platnum4 plugs,flomaster crossflow muffler,Lingenfiter 52mm throttle body,TPIS L98 SuperProfile cam,Crane 1:6 full roller rockers,Edelbrock subframe connectors,Edelbrock strut tower brace.

Other car is a 89 GTA w/700r4w/stage 2 shift kit, corvette servo, B&M mega shifter, TPIS bigmouth intake, TPIS large tube runners, TPIS 52mm throttle body,Edelbrock ported centerbolt heads,LT1 24# injectors,GMPP LT4 hotcam,CompCams Pro magnum roller rockers,Edelbrock headers, flowmaster crossflow muffler,MSD 6A, accell coil, bosch platnum plugs, this car is currently under rebuild and restoration.
Old 05-16-2001 | 04:12 PM

Hey poncho9789, what does your '97 run in the 1320? I'm kind of curious how the LT1 responds to modifications.

RRL98
Old 05-16-2001 | 04:23 PM

road rocket Yea the lt1 responds well to mods but I am having problems lanching the 6 speed in the car still trying to nail that thing down becuz this is my first manual car. but in responce my best time is a 14.03 with a 2.4 60' and trap speed of 101.2 spinning all the way through first. but to give you a judgement on the mods on the car and the responce. I have taken 13.50 (that run concistant) cars with ease in the 97
Old 05-16-2001 | 04:26 PM

sorry,I got side tracked in that last responce. I made that run spinning through first and seciond. when I hit third I had to shift back into seciond and finally grabed track.

------------------
97 formula w/6speed,cags skipshift eleminator, hurst billet pro shifter, 30#injectors,adjustiable fuel presure regulator,Moroso cold air induction,ported mass air sensor,accell300+ ignition box, accell 9000 wires, bosch platnum4 plugs,flomaster crossflow muffler,Lingenfiter 52mm throttle body,TPIS L98 SuperProfile cam,Crane 1:6 full roller rockers,Edelbrock subframe connectors,Edelbrock strut tower brace.

Other car is a 89 GTA w/700r4w/stage 2 shift kit, corvette servo, B&M mega shifter, TPIS bigmouth intake, TPIS large tube runners, TPIS 52mm throttle body,Edelbrock ported centerbolt heads,LT1 24# injectors,GMPP LT4 hotcam,CompCams Pro magnum roller rockers,Edelbrock headers, flowmaster crossflow muffler,MSD 6A, accell coil, bosch platnum plugs, this car is currently under rebuild and restoration.
Old 05-16-2001 | 10:05 PM
Administrator

Car: Red 87 IROC-Z28 T-Top
Engine: 5.7 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: BW 9-Bolt 3.27
LOL, u aren't convincing any1 of anything, just convincing yourself of YOUR ideas that no1 AGREES with, maybe you'll learn. CHP is doing a Third Gen buildup right now with a Z28 and are going to see how fast they can get it to run for cheap.

------------------
89 RS

Looking For:
87 IROC-Z28 350 TPI
Old 05-16-2001 | 10:36 PM
20 Year Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Slow Iroc:
...I don't think I would enjoy POUNDING my floor pans up under the rear seats to make room for the two mufflers, just to correct GM's mistake.</font>
Maybe a Ford driver would get out his hammer as is apparently typical for most modifications, but a ThirdGen owner would probably take the engineered approach and install siamesed pipes down the same side of the car (just like you Ford guys do for NASCAR) to get a full dual exhaust.

You do make some good points about the TPI design. It was never intended to power an engine at anything above 4,500 RPM. It was made to enhance low RPM torque, which it does very well. Just as a stock 'F' car was never meant as an all-out drag car. But that's what MODIFICATION is all about. Webster's has a more complete definition if you're still confused.

Probably why you don't see a lot of runner length and plumbing (ala TPI) on pro-stock and top fuel engines. There are ways around the problem, but the easiest is to install a different EFI. If you can live with the lower torque at the bottom end, you'll get rewarded with higher RPM power.

If you want a drag car, you should sell your ThirdGen and get a '65 Nova. They have room for a BBC and tip the scales at about 2,600 pounds stock. A healthy 735CID BBC with methanol-blend and an 871 on top should impress your Mousetank buddies...

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"Fear is how I fall, Confusing what is real..."
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Old 05-16-2001 | 11:10 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.
V, you don't have an empty /guiness next to you right now do you?? And what is that pastey silvery goop all over it?!?
And didn't you have a rule about those pics that blow out the dimensions of the thread?
Took you long enough to get in here!
Old 05-16-2001 | 11:15 PM
20 Year Member

RD,

Why, no. (I already recycled the empty...)
Old 05-17-2001 | 12:07 AM

3.73 rear gears in the BW 9 bolt rear</font>
Where'd you pick that up? Very interesting...

Lack of knowledge or honest mistake there aside, your combo is wrong. 15's wrong? I dunno but its not right thats for sure.

1000CFM TB on a 350 (thats what it is right?) with L98 heads and the LTR setup is a mistake in itself. Then you add the hot cam (IMO too much for stock length runners) and the 3.73? out back (too high) and you have a bad mix. I'd lose the 1000 for a 52mm, or change the intake to something more RPM happy, and run a different gear, like something that fits the BW 9 bolt, a 3.27. Sounds like a fueling problem... like the rubber lines are bad and closing off fuel supply (dont laugh, Ive seen it happen) or something else in the fuel circuit. You say its rich, but the plugs say lean. I say its both, which means theres a huge fuel problem. Thats 15's right there no matter what car it is. Not that you care anyway, seems you are happy to bash and shoot the car, go ahead.

As for the Mustang stuff, my unbiased .02

Its cheaper to build one if you dont have to rebuild the engine. I dont care who you ask, 302 parts cost more for things like rods, cranks, pistons... rings... But the intakes are so much cheaper its not even funny. And cams? LOL! Try finding such an array of roller cams for 150 bucks for a GM sometime. Headers are also cheaper (ummm SLP's are what, 400 bucks???). The T-5 trans is a little weaker due to the larger drop from 1-2, which oddly enough eats 3, and the AOD leaves alot to be desired. Its lighter too, but not much.

As for all the bashing about them being 'cheap' or whatever other terms to suggest the Ford is a POS, I have had more problems with GM than I care to count. I know plenty of people who own Brand F and have had about 1% of the problems I have had. I have a Mustang too, even though its an older one, and aside from the parts that were just plain worn out from 35 years of use, its a much more solid car than my 86 ever was. I never have and never will understand why so many Camaro owners feel the need to bash Fords up one side and down the other, and generally for the dumbest reasons on the face of the planet. I guess its either stupidity or fear. I own one of both, and I like them both. The TA is a piece of junk IMO, but its one of the best looking cars on the street, I like the seating position, and it handles pretty good out of the box. Thats not to say you cant make a Mustang handle, because one of my friends has one that will leave my TA in the dust, and my TA is far from stock suspension wise. And he doesnt have much money in it either, trust me. Its mostly home done mods with a drill and other stuff. I say if you hate Fords just because, then fine. I havent had a bad experience of any sort with Chrysler products, and I dont really know anyone offhand who I know that has either. What I do know is I hate anything they make, maybe aside from 70ish E-bodies. No reason, just dont like them... but the last thing you will hear me saying is stuff I see said about Fords here, and Chevys in the Ford world. Waste of time IMO.

BTW, I still say most Mustangs are in the 14's. If you hit 13's you will beat a fair amount of them on the street. If you are losing to them and you run 13's, then you are picking on the wrong cars.
Old 05-17-2001 | 06:21 AM

Ok, glad that you decided to at least address the issue of your lack of skills building and engine. But the fact still remains that 15.1 seconds is slower than stock, I mean come on, how can you blame your 15.1 seconds on the car, when it was faster than that out of the box. That would tend to point to either A). the parts you are putting on the car B). you made a mistake putting it together or C). the mods are mismatched and it sounds to me like a little of both B and C. I could be way off base, maybe somehow you got the only one that runs 18's in the 1/4.....

Chris
Old 05-17-2001 | 02:59 PM
Administrator

Car: Red 87 IROC-Z28 T-Top
Engine: 5.7 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: BW 9-Bolt 3.27
LOL!!

------------------
89 RS

Looking For:
87 IROC-Z28 350 TPI
Old 05-17-2001 | 05:06 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cbpldc:
Ok, glad that you decided to at least address the issue of your lack of skills building and engine. But the fact still remains that 15.1 seconds is slower than stock, I mean come on, how can you blame your 15.1 seconds on the car, when it was faster than that out of the box. That would tend to point to either A). the parts you are putting on the car B). you made a mistake putting it together or C). the mods are mismatched and it sounds to me like a little of both B and C. I could be way off base, maybe somehow you got the only one that runs 18's in the 1/4.....
Chris
</font>
Well, yes, you are way off base. Check in the 325/375 post, you will notice that a MOD'ed GTA 350 was only running 15.0's! Look in the sigs...

So you know, the car ran a 15.6 before we ever touched it with under 60k miles on it! That was after a tranny rebuild, so I know that it wasn't due to the tranny slipping.

But hey, you being off base obviously means I'm the moron, :::Rolling eyes:::

Old 05-17-2001 | 07:13 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vader:
Maybe a Ford driver would get out his hammer as is apparently typical for most modifications

</font>

I just noticed this. Question, how do you think Car-Pro Motorsports does the dual exhuast conversion on third gen's? Do their mechanics prey to god, and have god reach his mighty hand down and pull the floor pans up towards the sky? No, they use a hammer, and pound the son of a b1tch untill they have enough room sot hang the mufflers. Just thought I would piont out that PROFESSIONAL and WELL KNOW AND RESPECTED performance shops use hammers... I guess Ford just didn't have their heads up their *** , and made sure the car had enough room for two mufflers in the first place...
Old 05-17-2001 | 08:25 PM

Just thought I would piont out that PROFESSIONAL and WELL KNOW AND RESPECTED performance shops use hammers... </font>
And your point is?

Hammering a car like that throws their respect (if they had any) out the window.
Old 05-17-2001 | 10:16 PM

Gee, I'll keep that in mind as, oh yes, they are the only people I know of with a third gen DEEP into the 9's, no blower and a small block...

You may not respect them, but they'll kick your a$$ at the track, lol.
Old 05-17-2001 | 10:40 PM

We need to ba able to "vote" aganist someone

and if they get a specified number in a

certain amount of time then there IP sould

be booted...

If your going to try to win an arguement w

wth vader then you are wasting your breath,

I.ve never seen him respond to a BS topic

like this. I dont care what you start

driving just get rid of your 3rdgen because

your nothing but an incompetent a$$hole that

doesnt know how to listen to intelligent

people who are tring to do nothing more then

help your sorry a$$ make your car faster.

P.S. fu(k you.
Old 05-17-2001 | 11:01 PM

Just because they have a fast car doesnt mean its not a hack job. Theres a huge difference between a car built with finesse and a car built with a BFH and zip ties. Any idiot can build a fast car with duct tape, but it takes someone with talent to make it look good too.

BTW, I agree with LBC. I am failing to see your worth here on this board in the past couple weeks, its nothing but telling everyone they dont know what they are talking about, and yet you are the one with the expensive engine that runs whopping 15's.

And to Vader, your 'BLIP' isnt working for me
Old 05-17-2001 | 11:16 PM

Well, I'm glad you have expressed your opinions. However, the next time you can develope and state a complete theory on something of an relevance, than I might consider listening to you. I'm ammused by how you bad mouth me, yet I'm the only guy actually trying to figure out WTF the problem in general with the Fbody is. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that has really sought any good information on a 2004R swap.

Just because I'm a smart *** , and make you look stupid while I'm being one, dosen't mean I don't have information that could be valuable to the board. Time will tell however, maybe I'm wrong about what I say, but if I do the 200 swap and reduce my ET's and have a tranny that will outlast the 700, than maybe I'm not so far off track with other ideas...

Your suffering ego must be a horrible thing to deal with.
Old 05-17-2001 | 11:38 PM

My ego? LOL! You are the one with the ego problem.

Yea maybe if you swap in the 200, you might get the .2 that someone in a magazine claims, and break into the 14's for less than 7000 bucks.

"Well, I'm glad you have expressed your opinions. However, the next time you can develope(develop) and state a complete theory on something of an(no an needed) relevance, than(then) I might consider listening to you. I'm ammused(amused) by how you bad mouth me, yet I'm the only guy actually trying to figure out WTF the problem in general with the Fbody is(didnt realize there was one). I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that has really sought any good information on a 2004R swap(GM and many others beat you to it).
Old 05-17-2001 | 11:52 PM
Supreme Member

Sounds like you're the one with the ego problem. Face it, you didn't match up engine and mods correctly or else you'd be way below the 15's. Explain how all these other guys can hit below them with less than you. Are you even sure you own an F-body? Lay off the pipe for a little while, things will start to clear up in a few weeks.
Old 05-18-2001 | 06:23 AM

Oh, there's something wrong with the third gen and you are the only person who's trying to figure it out. Oh, and by the way, if you're going to call someone a moron, and then incorrectly use a smiley, it kind of makes you look like a moron. (just a useable bit of advice for you).

You are just the kind of person that third gen's don't need. You screw up someone else's 3rd gen, then you blame it on the car. Now not only does your incompetence sour you on the car, but you blew someone else's money on someone else's car, screwed it up, and soured that person's experience. My guess is that this guy thinks you're some kind of god in the engine building business (by the way you talk you MUST be!) and you are unwilling to admit your mistake, or too egotistical to bother with it. People are talking about tuning your engine to get more out of it. I think you should tune it as well, but even the simple bolt ons should increase your times more than that. My advise, take it to someone who knows what the heck they're doing. That way, your friend won't be forced to sell his car for $4200 that he has invested over $6000 into in mods.

BTW, I don't know what ego I have or anyone else has concerning this subject, but you are the only one who is unwilling to see anything but your own point of view. Now, maybe I'm off base AGAIN on this, but I would say that makes you the ego-maniac, not anyone else.

Here's how the rolling eyes thing works BTW,

lol

Chris
Old 05-18-2001 | 03:16 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
I'm ammused by how you bad mouth me, yet I'm the only guy actually trying to figure
out WTF the problem in general with the Fbody is.
</font>
Not for nothing, but you seem like you're the only one that has a problem "in general" with the f-body.

Everyone else seems happy with the f-body, and gets the results they want.

Simple logic says that if you're the only unhappy one, then something's wrong with how
you built your friend's car.
Old 05-18-2001 | 03:39 PM
ede
TGO Supporter

time to put this to bed. the thread is getting too long to read or follow and it leaning towards becoming a flame war of sorts. if any of you want to repost on this subject feel free to do so and we'll see where it goes. thanks for understanding

------------------
ICON Motorsports

1st & 3rd
MM Black Diamond 538 F&AM