Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

I FINALLY swapped my cam for a comp cams HR270

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: transam, el camino
Engine: 415
Transmission: T56
I FINALLY swapped my cam for a comp cams HR270

Well after about 6months of trying to decide should I? or shouldn't I? I finally decided to change from the unknown (used circle track car) cam to the comp cams hr270xr. I wanted to thank those that answered my original post so long ago....

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...ight=which+cam

The swap took all night Saturday and then driving and stopping about two dozen times Sunday fiddling with the timing. It's still not perfect, the vacume advance was adjusted for the old cam and feeding too much so I just unplugged it for now. I could tell the difference imediately, the comp cam just plain sounds meaner and revs quicker. I can also pull 6th gear uphill from 900rpm which just wasn't possible with the old cam. I'm getting ahead of myself tho.. When I first fed it a lot of throttle, the car felt like it wanted to jump and run! I was surprised because traction hasn't been a problem since I switched to 275's in the back!

I probably lost some power in the midrange, this new stick makes up for it everywhere else tho and goes as advertised/ so i'm very satisfied and the swap turned out better than I expected! Did I mention it's louder now? not at idle, when I accelerate it is deff. louder than before. Anyone building a circle track car? might have a cam for you