Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

No fuel return line

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 09:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans Am
Engine: SBC 400
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 2.77
No fuel return line

Hello,

Real quick comment and question. The other day I noticed a fuel leak from my car in the garage. I don't drive it everyday so it was probably doing it all week. Well, I checked under the car thinking the worst and I noticed that at the end of one of the fuel lines there is a little rubber nub I guess you would call it. I'm guessing this used to be the return fuel line and the previous owner cut and tried to block this line off when he did the engine swap. That is where the leak is. The car is not fuel injected anymore, it's now carbureted.

What would you guys suggest to do to keep this line from leaking fuel? It seems the rubber has just deteriorated over time and probably from the fuel. It's just little drips but I wan't to get this fixed. Any ideas??
Old 09-26-2004, 10:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1966 impala , 1998 sebring vert,1978 buick regal turbo, 1991 chevy silverado 3/4ton 4x4 lifted
Engine: 283, 2.5,3.8 turbo 350
Transmission: powerglide,auto overdrive, th350,4L80
does the car have a mechanical fuel pump or an electric one in the tank????

im guessing a mechanical if so swap it out for a single in single out with no return line option on it they are like 12 bucks at autozone that will eliminate the need for the return line all together ....
Old 09-26-2004, 12:28 PM
Supreme Member

Hey,

Well, the guy told me the pump is in the tank so it is a fuel injection pump. There is a plate on the engine where the mechanical pump would be. I traced the line that was cut and can only assume it would be the return line. The charchcoal canister is still in the car and I followed the lines. Really there is only one line coming out. I followed that and it has been cut. Also the line that was leaking fuel was cut roughly in the same vacinity. I don't know if those two lines should be connected together but since they were not like that before I guess it will not hurt. I thought about connecting them, but then I was worried that if the fuel keeps coming out of the line it would then begin to fill the canister up with fuel. I followed the supply line and it just comes up to the fuel pressure regulator and then from there it goes into the carb inlets. There is no provission for a return line. Is the ok, or should I be concerned about this?

I have since went to Autozone and got some rubber fuel line, clamps, and a metal plug to stop the fuel leak. It's ok so far. There is no pressure on the line, other then the weight of the fuel in the tank. I took it for a drive and no leaks. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:27 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Z28
Engine: Sb2.2 406
Transmission: Jerico 4 speed
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" 3.60
The charcoal can is not part of the fuel delivery system. It is there to pick up and trap fuel vapors. Not the fuel itself. Leave that out of the equation for fuel delivery. It's going to either be the fuels evap system of the fuel deliv.

When you have the car parked, where are the fuel drops appearing? Like how close to the tank is this?

You need a pressure regulator with a return. You will burn the pump up otherwise. Mallory #4309 seems to be the general regulator for this job.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:32 PM
Supreme Member

The leak was from the front of the engine...that is where the line was cut. It did have a rubber hose on it that was clamped, but like I said, it didn't connect to anything. Right at that spot was where fuel was coming out of. My fuel pressure regulator looks like it has an extra inlet on it, but it is capped off. Not sure if this is for a return or not.

If not, I'll check out the regulator you suggested.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:35 PM
Supreme Member

let me clarify that. The leak was at the rear of the engine bay. Right where the fuel line comes up into the bay is where it was cut. I noticed the leak underneath the car toward the front. The fuel was actually running down the lines and then dripped of at the bend. I had to follow it up from the bottom, laying down and then I felt the rubber hose and then that is when I realized that is where the leak was.