Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

surging/dieing idle (yes the TB and IAC are clean!) and other odd engine behavior

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2001, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
surging/dieing idle (yes the TB and IAC are clean!) and other odd engine behavior

When I opened up the TB I noticed they were very dirty, so I cleaned them and then followed Chiltons directions on resetting the IAC valve. With no luck. It still idles oddly in park (but if I throw it into drive, and then back to park, it's fine?!). I also noticed that while idleing the engine shakes on it's mounts... and one more thing, if I tap the gas to about 3/4 throttle and let off (very fast) while in park, the car will just rev a little bit and then almost die and then return to idle. Also if I rev the engine steadily and then let off the gas suddenly while in park, it'll almost die and then come back... What gives? I have a feeling this is related to the loss of power I'm constantly complaining of...

Right now the battery is sitting disconnected because I have to get my radiator fixed tomorrow, and then once I get a chance to drive it I'm going to try new gas and injector/fuel system cleaner... Thats all I can think of to do.

Any of you have any suggestions? Could it be a vaccuum leak? If so where are some common places it could be leaking? Any and all info will be of help.

xenodrgn, the helpless perfectionist....

------------------
1985 Camaro SC - 2.8L, auto.

Mods:
Removed air baffles

Maintenance since I bought it:
Bosch Platinum Plugs, Radiator, Water Pump, PCV, fluids and filters

[This message has been edited by Xenodrgn (edited May 13, 2001).]
Old 05-13-2001, 12:38 PM

getting any codes? might be your o2 sensor?
Old 05-13-2001, 12:54 PM

Hmm, well I did buy a new O2 when I got all the rest of the stuff for the car... maybe I should figure out how to put it in... :-P

And like I said, the battery is disconnected so anything that was there is gone... once I get the new radiator in tomorrow (probably) I'll start it up and see if anything comes up. (I never recalled seeing the check engine light come on at all... except this one time while I was backing up, went on and then shut off 5-10 sec later, didn't think too much of it...)

With that info, anything else?

[This message has been edited by Xenodrgn (edited May 13, 2001).]