Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Diesel owners or people with turbo diesel experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2001, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel owners or people with turbo diesel experience

i am looking into getting a used pickup. How are the maintenance costs with a diesel compared with a regular gas engine? And what about turbo diesel. There are several in my area for less than 10,000 and are newer than 1995 but have like 150,000 miles on them, does the turbo ever need servicing or anythign like that?

------------------
1986 Trans Am
305 TPI
"If it's not one thing, it's another!"
http://www2.hanover.edu/hierlmeier
Old 05-08-2001, 02:44 PM

They have their own set of problems, but its usually not the engine that is the problem, its everything attached to it that is.
What manufacturer?
Old 05-08-2001, 04:33 PM

Car: 1994 Trans Am
Engine: 5.7L LT1
Transmission: 6-speed
Ahh, great to see another diesel afficionado in the house.

Diesels are great engines, and they last practically forever if you take care of them. You must pay attention to the the service intervals with religious dedication though, because diesel components are awefully expensive to replace if they go bad.

Probably the most expensive and sensitive piece of equipment on a diesel is the fuel pump. This is the heart of the engine. A diesel gets all of its power from this little compressor. A bad pump will make an otherwise perfect engine run like crap. Diesel fuel also tends to accumulate water, and that is probably the #1 cause of pump failure because it corrodes the internals of the pump. Regular fuel filter changes will let the pump live a long, healthy life.

The turbos can develop the same problems turbos on a gas engine can. They need proper lubrication and need to cool down before the engine is turned off. Idling the engine for a few minutes after driving is VERY necessary for diesels.

Diesels also encounter extremely high exhaust gas temps. Naturally, the temps rise with heavy loads. It would not be surprising for an abused engine to have burnt up exhaust valves.

The high operating temperature also means that you must change the oil filter regularly, since there will be a lot of sludge forming inside the engine. In fact, that's also another reason why semi drivers idle their engines so long. It helps everything cool down in unison, relieving heat related stress, and drains any built up crap back into the sump.

Basically, as with any other engine, as long as you take good care of it, a diesel will last a long time.

------------------
'88 IROC 305 TPI
Crappy 700R4 slushbox
Gutted airboxes
180 degree T-stat
Advanced base TPS voltage
Relocated IAT sensor
Momo steering wheel (gotta luv it)
Ram-air setup coming soon
Flowmaster muffler (puke)
Taylor SpiroPro wires
Accel cap and rotor
Ported plenum
Kills: '94 Z28, Olds Aurora V8, bunch of Mustangs, T-birds, ricers, and others who assumed a 12 year-old car would be too slow.
Old 05-08-2001, 08:20 PM
Supreme Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 88irocz28:
... you must change the oil filter regularly...
...In fact, that's also another reason why semi drivers idle their engines so long. It helps everything cool down in unison...
</font>
If you get a diesel don't use oil intended for a gas engine. I'd suggest delo 400, it only comes in 15-40 (diesel oils only come in 15-40 for some reason). The detergent package is alot stronger and breaks up the ash and soot that is a by-product of combustion. Look at the API ratings and do some research, you'll see they are different. What make of engine you get will make a difference on the drain interval. I would start out at around a 5000 mile drain (semi's are going between 10,000 and 20,000), use the best filters you can find (baldwin, luberfiner) that are made for that type of engine. Always, always, always let the engine idle for at least 30 seconds before you shut it off and longer if you just finished pulling a heavy load. Never just start it and drive off, let it come up to at least 100* or you can munch a turbo real fast.

Last but not least, the reason semi's get idled so long is I refuse to be uncomfortable. Mine were left running for the heat and A/C. In all actuallity Idleing a diesel for more than 15-20 min for heat up and cool down is one of the worst things you can do. In a direct injection diesel the fuel will wash the oil off the cylinder walls and get into the oiling system. If you must Idle bring the RPM's up to 800-950 to keep the oil pressure up and the combustion chambers hot enough to atomize the fuel.
Old 05-08-2001, 11:22 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am GTA
Engine: Miniram'd 383, 24X LS1 PCM
Transmission: TH700R4, 4200 stall
Axle/Gears: 9", 4.33:1
If you are going to get a Full size truck with a diesel, I would stay away from the GM trucks. The 6.2/6.5 engines just don't perform like their competitors. I am a GM man all the way, but those engines are just plain gutless and the injection pump is virtually a regular maintenance part. The Ferd is pretty good on power but I don't like the engine noise - they are way loud. The Cummins in the Dodge trucks is also pretty decent on power and it probably will last the longest out of all of the engines available in a full size truck, IMO, - it is designed right after their very succesful Formula 400 series engines which are very common in over-the-road semis. The new GM trucks are great but it sounds like you are looking for a used one. The true problem with these heavy duty trucks is the abuse they get. The people and companies that run these trucks usually do not keep up on the maintenance like they should and, as others have stated, regular maintenance is of the utmost importance for a diesel engine. Be extra careful when you inspect the truck and ask for a record of performed maintenance for it.

Hope that helps a bit.

For all you diesel gurus - I just got done tossin' a DEEtroit 8V92 TA into an Oshkosh Hemmit last weekend. I gotta find a way to get one of those things under the hood of my daily beater S10!!!!!! 1200 ft-lbs of torque anyone????

Laterzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

------------------
Matt

1987 GTA L98 MD8 GW6

"Stop Lights timed for 35Mph are also timed for 70Mph"
Old 05-08-2001, 11:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 87RS402:
In all actuallity Idleing a diesel for more than 15-20 min for heat up and cool down is one of the worst things you can do. In a direct injection diesel the fuel will wash the oil off the cylinder walls and get into the oiling system. If you must Idle bring the RPM's up to 800-950 to keep the oil pressure up and the combustion chambers hot enough to atomize the fuel.</font>
In addition, the low combustion temps at idle cause injectors to carbon up. Unburnt fuel also cokes onto the exhuast turbine of the turbo, reducing output.

The newer electronic controlled diesels are programmed to shut down after extended idling. I've seen some drivers defeat this by setting the cruise control at 900-1000rpms.
Old 05-09-2001, 12:44 AM

Car: 1994 Trans Am
Engine: 5.7L LT1
Transmission: 6-speed

If you get a diesel don't use oil intended for a gas engine. I'd suggest delo 400, it only comes in 15-40 (diesel oils only come in 15-40 for some reason). The detergent package is alot stronger and breaks up the ash and soot that is a by-product of combustion. Look at the API ratings and do some research, you'll see they are different.</font>
Yeah, I forgot to mention that. I use only Delo 500 in my Jeep back home. The motor became a lot smoother and picked up a noticeable amount of torque too after switching to Delo.

In all actuallity Idleing a diesel for more than 15-20 min for heat up and cool down is one of the worst things you can do. In a direct injection diesel the fuel will wash the oil off the cylinder walls and get into the oiling system. If you must Idle bring the RPM's up to 800-950 to keep the oil pressure up and the combustion chambers hot enough to atomize the fuel.</font>
I didn't know that. Thanks for pointing it out man

------------------
'88 IROC 305 TPI
Crappy 700R4 slushbox
Gutted airboxes
180 degree T-stat
Advanced base TPS voltage
Relocated IAT sensor
Momo steering wheel (gotta luv it)
Ram-air setup coming soon
Flowmaster muffler (puke)
Taylor SpiroPro wires
Accel cap and rotor
Ported plenum
Kills: '94 Z28, Olds Aurora V8, bunch of Mustangs, T-birds, ricers, and others who assumed a 12 year-old car would be too slow.

[This message has been edited by 88irocz28 (edited May 08, 2001).]
Old 05-09-2001, 10:03 AM

Whatever you do, dont get any gm diesel engine, im talkig about the 5.7/6.2/6.5, those have got to be the worst diesel engines ever. Every one i have seen always have problems, and they all sound like there throwing all 8 rods. THe only good thing about them was they got awesome gas mileage,I know this because i work for a moving company and we have a 6.5 turbo, its always in the shop, it just $hits out all the time. We also have 2 powerstrokes and i've seen them do some unbelieveable stuff. Like pulling almost twice as much as what there rated at, international is the way to go. if your going to get a diesel get the 24 valve cummins or the powerstroke or the engine before the powerstroke,Also, above all, the duramax, but thats a bit steep.
Old 05-09-2001, 10:09 AM

Matt your right about the injection pump, the injection pump is changed like as often as the oil is changed, those injection pumps aren't cheap either. Overheating was a problem with those gm diesels as well to. I think one of the reasons why those chevy diesles were so bad was they were built on gas blocks, such as the 350 and the 6.5 was built on the 400.
Old 05-09-2001, 08:56 PM
Supreme Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BigChevy342:
... We also have 2 powerstrokes and i've seen them do some unbelieveable stuff...</font>
One of the guys who worked for the other big towing company in town actually barked the tires in one of their ford wreckers. Not bad for a truck that weighs 10,000 lbs and has 6000 on the back axle.
Old 05-10-2001, 01:34 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am GTA
Engine: Miniram'd 383, 24X LS1 PCM
Transmission: TH700R4, 4200 stall
Axle/Gears: 9", 4.33:1
One of the guys who worked for the other big towing company in town actually barked the tires in one of their ford wreckers. Not bad for a truck that weighs 10,000 lbs and has 6000 on the back axle.</font>
If you think that is impressive - you should see me hang a duece-and-a-half sideways.....

------------------
Matt

1987 GTA L98 MD8 GW6

"Stop Lights timed for 35Mph are also timed for 70Mph"
Old 05-11-2001, 06:29 PM

Car: '86 IROC, black and sharp
Engine: 305 tpi, bone stock
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 pos w/rear db
I have one of those 6.2 liter oil burners. I've never been stuck (in the sand at the beach, or in the snow in the mountains). But, 1. the injector pumps are expensive every 45 to 60 thousand miles ($750), 2. until the last injector pump rebuild it wouldn't spin the tires on wet pavement, but it would tear the rear end out of the truck (once), tear up that weak a** 700R4 (twice) and eat universal joints every 2 to 3 years, 3. I have to take the boat to the carwash and wash the soot off everything after I go to the lake (nasty stuff) and it has almost 200,000 miles on it. Sorry diesel folks, every winter the price of diesel goes up higher than the price of unleaded premium I realize overall, it wasn't such a good deal after all. It is my first, and last diesel. That's entirely too much money too spend on something to take that kind of chance again. Anyway, my dad's 3/4 ton 4WD Chevy truck (350 TBI and 5 speed) gets just as good mpgs (20 to 21)as my 6.2, so mileage ain't a factor anymore.

------------------
Z's r Best
Old 05-11-2001, 06:51 PM

You cant go wrong with a cummins. We use a couple of dodge 1 ton trucks at work. One of them has about 350,000 on it the other has almost 300,000. My buddy has 260,000 on his. The one with 300,000 has the fuel pump turned up. It will pull a backhoe faster than you dare let it. The only problem is We are on our 4th tranny. but Thats almost expected with the work it is doing.
Old 05-12-2001, 02:10 AM
Supreme Member

Z's, you can't even compare the 6.2 to any of what we are talking about. The 6.2 is a N/A diesel and will never be contender for more than boat anchor status. The 7.3 and 6.9 fords about the same.

In all I still feel the cummins is the best and will be the longest lasting. When dodge tested one for longevity the engine lasted over 800,000 miles, unfortunatly(sp?) the rest of the truck won't.

Now if only I could get one with a jake.