Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

I have searched and i need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 z28
Engine: 305 carbed with 3" Y pipe back
Transmission: 700r4 that is breaking down
I have searched and i need help

ok so first thing is first i own a 86 z with 305 edelbrock electric chock carbed motor. now my valve seals were leaking really bad so i decided to tear the heads off replace the valve seals and all that stuff. so it went good now i put the heads back on put it all back together and seems to idle fine the timeing is a little off no biggie. then i take it out on the road and it stutters and dies and stutters and goes no where when the pedal is to the floor. i took it back to my dads shop mechanic checked it all out witht he machine and it ran fine but when its in drive it just boggs and misfires. now my cap and rotor and plug wires are older then the hills so could this be the culprit also when i tore everything apart i also put on an edelbrock performer intake.. please help b/c i am at my wits end with cars it seems they are always not right for me and im ready to throw in the towel and buy a motor cycle.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:12 PM

Car: 1987 IROCZ
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Are you sure all the gaskets are making a good seal. Are there any signs of leaks? Coolant, oil, etc. Have you tried a compression test? Are all vacuum lines connected, and routed to proper spots? Is the new carb adjusted properly. Did you get the distributor back in properly? Are plug wires on the right cylinders. And by all means get new plugs, wires, cap, a rotor. Just some thing to throw out there.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:00 PM

Car: 86 z28
Engine: 305 carbed with 3" Y pipe back
Transmission: 700r4 that is breaking down
yes i did put the distrubitor back the way it came out all the spark plug wires are in the correct spots as well as the gaskets are all in there correct no leaking not vacume hose is not connected to the correct spot and all the wireing is hooked up as well so brings me to possibly belive the cap rotor and wires may make a difference. thanks for the imput