Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

problems after engine rebuild...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2001, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Z28
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: T-5
problems after engine rebuild...

I have a 91 305 tpi - I've been having some problems since I had the engine replaced a little over a year ago. I had the hooker shorties put on at the same time and had full 3 inch exhaust put on. the car doesn't like to idle smooth anymore - I know the cam is different because the car falls on its face above 4200 rpms - it also feel like it has 180 hp - I cannot get the car to idle below 1000 rpms when im setting the iac... it just dies instantly - the car also idles very porly with a jumpy idle - it does miss a little too - i've replaced the whole ignition system and tried a new prom... next i was gona try replacing the egr and o2 sensor since thats all i can think of - oh and i guess get the injectors flowed and teste... any other ideas????

------------------
91 z28 lb9 5 speed - hooker 1 5/8 headers - high flow cat- full 3 inch exhaust - home made ram air - tpis airfoil - dual chamber flowmaster - Stage 2 Jet Chip and 160 stat - 8 mm Msd plug wires - 55,000 v hypertech coil/rotor/distrib. cap - Mac. White face gauges - lots of sound system crap...
Old 05-11-2001, 06:33 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
before i replaced sensers i'd scan it for codes, look at knock counts, check the injectors, run the valves, bent push rods, check for vacuum leaks, crossed or broke wires. you know all the basic stuff that can go wrong.

------------------
ICON Motorsports

1st & 3rd
MM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Old 05-11-2001, 08:46 AM

If the valves were not adjusted right, it would keep the car from idling correctly.

The timing could also be off. I'd double check the mark on the harmonic balancer.

Clayton
Old 05-11-2001, 11:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Yeah, this is something relatively simple. Like ignition timing.

Remember that the intial timing MUST be set with the timing connector DISCONNECTED or the end result will be timing that is VERY RETARDED from where it should be. With the connector disconnected your stock timing should be 6* BTDC.

Get a scan tool on the motor and you'll nail it down pretty quick.
Old 05-11-2001, 05:26 PM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: T-5
I've already run all new vaccum hoses, checked the timing twice and my car has never thrown a code - one more thing I forgot to mention is the car likes to stall a lot especially after long drives... - one thing i find weird is it almost always stalls when im going down steep hills and have to come to a complete stop - i guess having a manual makes this a lot "safer" since I have to drive through mountain passes everyday ... so far I just amke sure I keep the thing in gear until i'm not on a curve...

------------------
91 z28 lb9 5 speed - hooker 1 5/8 headers - high flow cat- full 3 inch exhaust - home made ram air - tpis airfoil - dual chamber flowmaster - Stage 2 Jet Chip and 160 stat - 8 mm Msd plug wires - 55,000 v hypertech coil/rotor/distrib. cap - Mac. White face gauges - lots of sound system crap...