Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Need help identifying cam

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '85 TA
Engine: Aluminum Fuelie
Transmission: Mother of All Manuals
Need help identifying cam

Is there a website that I can plug in numbers (much like id'ing blocks and heads) to figure out what cam I have? I pulled a cam out of a new rebuilt motor and would like to know it's specs before dropping $150 on another cam. The numbers on the end are 93180 but they looked like they have been stamped over another set of numbers somewhat (could make out G0 and that's it), and on the shaft of the cam (starting from the distributor working forward) I find "1" and on the opposite side, "K3", and then D4 & C4 (C4 on opp. side), and then CMC and CWC. Any ideas on what this cam is and where I could start?
Old 09-12-2004, 07:17 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 240 Likes on 195 Posts
Kev,

I haven't come across any sites that have "decoder" information as you suggest, but they might be out there somewhere. Perhaps another of our 33.000+ members will have a link for you.

You can start by measuring the lobe lifts of the exhaust and intake lobes. Ideally, that should be done between centers and with an indicator. I also have a 3" degree wheel that can be used in conjunction with the indicator to measure duration.

However, that can also generally be done with a 2" mic or caliper, but the resultant numbers may not be exact if the lobes are a longer duration design. Still, they should give you some idea of the lifts, then you can search for cams with those specifications to find the precise design details, if you really want.

Actually, if you determine that the lobe lifts are less than 0.280", you can presume that the cam you are measuring isn't much better than a moderate stock piece, and will then have all the information you need to make your decision.