Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

New Engine or New Car????

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2001, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Engine or New Car????

Should I buy a New Car or a new engine it's been dieing lately should I try to get rid of the car. because the engine is shot, or should I try to trade it in for a new one, or
should I get rid of it an save some money for a time and get a nice good car....how much would a dealer give as a trade in on a 87 Chevrolet Camero with 305 TPI, and 115000 miles on it body and everything else (But Engine) is in excellent condition and a tiny bit of rust on the rear wheel well.....???

------------------
IROC-Z
G92, LB9 305 TPI, 3.23

Old 05-04-2001, 10:40 AM
Supreme Member

Geta ZZ4 for it

5 grand later, you shoud be In good Shape.

The Dealer Won't Give you ****.

------------------
60 Ranchero - Project ( Money Hole )
85 Sport Coupe LG4 - Daily Driver
Reader's ride -> My Ride

Just another Hot Rod kid, or thats what they all tell me.
Livin' the Stereotype
Old 05-04-2001, 10:41 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '91 Z28
Engine: L98 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 323's
You might get $1200-1500 for it, depending on your options and overall condition. Sounds to me like you're ready to throw in the towel and just go for new. Obviously, something to consider is how much you want to put in to it for a new 'train or make payments again for ? years... I would say if the rest of the car is in overall good condition and you'd really like to keep it, then go for a motor - a few $$$$ can get you a nice motor, but if you've got the money and want a new one, go for it - it's all a matter of what you really want.

KAM
Old 05-07-2001, 07:59 PM

As they say on SpeedVision: "Don't crush 'em, restore 'em". Just get a good crate motor, hell if you're hurting for money, get a engine from Pep Boys, or some other place. Anythings better than buying a new car. New cars have fuel injection(bleech!), plastic everything(cringe!), and low life-expectancy(dang japs!). Do yourself a favor, and keep your Camaro. Just remember, it costs less to keep an old car in good shape than it does to make payments on a new one.

------------------
---Grady---
1984 Berlinetta.
LG4 305, 150 hp.
Rochester Quadrajet(Comp. Controlled)
TH-700R4.
Flowmaster 80 series/ 3" cat-back pipe.
Accel Superstock Coil.
7.5 10-bolt rear/ 3.08's.
Edelbrock signature series air cleaner -w- K&N Filtercharger.
Pioneer head unit, Pioneer front 4X6's, Cerwin Vega rear 6x9's.
Daily Driver.

Personal Quote: "The Rice-Boys all tremble with fear when the old American V8 draws near."
Old 05-07-2001, 09:15 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Chevy Cavalier
Engine: 2.2
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: it's part of the transmission
are you sure you need a new engine block?
when the car dies,how do you know it's not a fuel or ignition problem? that's totally different from the engine itself and could be $$$s cheaper than getting a whole new block. unless you really ragged it out,115k shouldn't be the end of the world for a chevy sb!
I replaced my stock engine for $1450,$700 labor $2150 total,it's really nice but the carb,HEI,ECM even the oil pan & valve covers,accesories,smog,ect are the same. the 305 is stock,but it has a good warranty and it's nice not to blow oil every where!I don't race or do anything abusive with the car anymore so this should last me for years.
I could have done much better for $2k,but I have no car payments and my engine only has 4500 miles on it!the 3.73 rear has 50 miles and the new transmission is on it's way!as long as you can deal with the bs that happens with old cars,I'd say, keep it TPI and drop in a fresh 5.7!
Old 05-08-2001, 12:09 PM

First of all, I'd warn away from getting a new car, especially if yours is in good shape except for the engine problems. You'd be paying at least $200 per month for 6 years, and you'll be stuck with needing full coverage and if you're under 25, good luck paying less than $200 a month for that. Also, you'll miss the fact that you're now driving something that you don't see parked on EVERY street corner
That said, guaranteed the engine just randomly dying does not mean that you need a whole new engine; as it rarely does. So, don't run off to Pep *****es and buy a lo-po crate motor, or you'll regret it later. First try to narrow down your problem, or take it to your mechanic to have him narrow it down and fix it. I say this first because if you go out and buy a crate engine, ZZ4, Pep Boys or anything, then bolt all of your stuff back up to it, you'll probably experience the same problem. After the original problem is remedied, if you want to replace your tired engine, and are looking for a low-buck solution go to the junk yard, and find an a 350 small block out of something that had a little more horsepower, that they are willing to guarantee for a month or so (just to make sure you're not buying a problem) and drop it into your ride. Under a $1000 with labor.

If you have no money now -- try to get a small loan to do it. Yeah you'll have monthly payments, but only for a year or two, and guaranteed the car doesn't lose value like a new one will.

------------------
1985 Trans Am - rough and ready
1976 Corvette Stingray - not so rough, but always ready
Old 05-08-2001, 02:08 PM

Get it rebuilt. If the rest of the car is in great shape, the get a good engine under it and youre good to go.

Course, as stated above, if you have the money go ahead and get something new, but my move would be to restore the engine and enjoy the car.

Another option is to restore the engine, then put $200 aside then when the last camaro is offered in '04 you can put a large downpayment on one.

Just a thought

Clayton
Old 05-08-2001, 09:41 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Chevy Cavalier
Engine: 2.2
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: it's part of the transmission
yea it's probably not your engine block,when my engine "died" the cam's timing gear sheared half of it's teeth,let go of the t-chain,even after installing a new steel roller,it still wouldn't run!! now that's a "dead" engine!
Old 05-09-2001, 10:00 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350tpi comming soon!
Transmission: fixed the 700r4 again!
i was in a simualer situation with my 91 rs. do i dump the car or rebuild it. well they way i figure is since it was my first car and i love it if found some deals dropped another 305tbi in to her engine only had 40K on it. since then i ahs upgraded just about everything. i would say with all teh new stuff i have prob sent about 3500 or so restoring this car so far but for me i look at it as still have no car payments at all plus i can do most of the labor on these cars witch has saved money and i still own my first car. once i get done with puttin on more stuff this summer im savin up to get her some nice new paint. ill prob spend about 5000 total by the time i get done but then ill have pretty much overhalled everything on the car and hey where car ya but i practually new car for 5000. And a bonus is it will be loaded with performace parts. I have to vote to restore the car. its not as hard as ya might think.

------------------
91 camaro RS
- 305 TBI
Mods: Performer TBI intake, 1" TBI spacer, K+N, jet fan switch ,160 thermo,Accel control module, Jet Stage 2 chip, edelbrock TES headers, Compleate 3" Flowmaster exhaust, Edelbrock springs, KYB struts and shocks, 700R4 built by TSI, SLP tq converter, b+m trans cooler
Soon to come .SLP Posi 323,Spohn LCA's and panhard bar,Ascd ram air hood, Z28 spoiler and grille,white guage faces.