Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

lt-1 from 92 vette into my 3rdgen

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2001, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lt-1 from 92 vette into my 3rdgen

Hey everyone,
I am looking at an 85 Camaro with a lt1 from a 92 vette. The guy is selling it b/c his son bought the car w/o a title and he can't register it. The part that I am worried about is the fact that they put the original quadrajet and intake from the camaro onto the lt1. Since then they have changed intake and carb. The guy is asking $650 for the whole thing(car actually sounds like it is in decent shape) What should I look for to steer me away from this car? I am in DESPERATE need of a new engine and I will buy it when I see it if its any good. What will I have to do to make this fit in my car? What would I need to do if I wanted to make it FI again(down the road)? Help me out please

------------------
Jay

black 85 Z28, t-tops, 4bbl carb, flowmaster 80 series muffler w/ custom tips (hollowed out cat), edelbrock chrome air cleaner, Infinity 4" 2 way front speakers and Infinity 3 way 6x9s, Alpine CDA-7863 head unit. many more mods planned (holley carb 4160 and edelbrock performer intake coming very soon)
Jay's webpage
Old 04-24-2001, 10:04 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '94 Corvette
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 4L60E
The LT1 is a different beast all togather, I'm not even sure you can pop on a regular intake since is uses a reversed cooling flow, not to forget about the big hole where a regular distributor would go. The water pump isn't belt driven, but rather it's gear driven off the cam, same with the opti-spark(LT1 distributor), so there some things to look for on that engine. I'm wondering if they mean an L98, off a 91'.
The money it would take to retro fit a Vette LT1 w/computer is unreal.

Ron

------------------
'82 Trans Am
'81 Camaro Z-28
'94 Vette LT1 Coupe
Old 04-24-2001, 10:28 PM

There was no L98 in 92 on the vettes. This guy swears that it is from a vette, they had the lt5 and lt1 in 92 for those. I am not really concerned with what kind of block it is(so long as it runs well and is a 350) This engine has a Holley carb on it so I don't really need to worry about the computer for that. I think that is the main reason why they switched to a carb setup from the FI. Thanks for the info about the distributor and water pump, I will definately look at that.

------------------
Jay

black 85 Z28, t-tops, 4bbl carb, flowmaster 80 series muffler w/ custom tips (hollowed out cat), edelbrock chrome air cleaner, Infinity 4" 2 way front speakers and Infinity 3 way 6x9s, Alpine CDA-7863 head unit. many more mods planned (holley carb 4160 and edelbrock performer intake coming very soon)
Jay's webpage
Old 04-25-2001, 05:48 AM
Supreme Member

Yeap, I know about the '92 thats why I said a L98 off a 91'.
The only problem is, I don't think you can dummy up the timing cause the opti-spark on LT1's uses the computer to adjust the advance curve for certain conditions.
Conditions provided by omp-teen number of senders & sensors. The LT1 dosn't have your normal cam-oil pump-distributor deal. You have to use LT1 heads period. I guess what I'm saying is the LT1 is GM's Gen II 350, and it's just not backwards compatable to over the counter regular 350 parts. It's hard for me to call the LT1 a regular 350, cause really isn't.

Good Luck,

Ron

------------------
'82 Trans Am
'81 Camaro Z-28
'94 Vette LT1 Coupe
Old 04-25-2001, 06:46 AM

I think the fact that this guy is saying that the 85 has an 'LT1' in it should steer you away from it. Unless he can prove to you with casting numbers or some paperwork I wouldn't believe him. I don't think an intake off an 85 LG4 or L69 would fit on an LT1, not to mention the fact that anyone who went through the incredible hassle of getting an LT1 into an 85 would be insane to only ask $650 for it, as well as use a stock 85 intake and carb. I mean think about it, if you spent an enormous amount of time and an ungodly amount of money on getting that LT1 in there, would you really consider using a stock intake and carb? And then practically give away the car? Makes no sense to me. I bet real money this guy is lying to you.

------------------
1987 Camaro Sport Coupe LG4
700R4 with 2.73 open rear
Hypertech chip, 180* stat
L69 Dual snorkel air cleaner with K&N air filter
CK rods with B hanger
Hooker catback
Pioneer DEH-P4000, Pioneer speakers front/back
Old 04-25-2001, 08:19 AM
Supreme Member

The guy is full of something. Go look at the car. You SHOULD be able to tell if its an LT1 or not. It shouldn't be very hard to tell. Just go look at the car, for 650 bucks he is either smoking alot of crack and needs his next fix or he is trying to pawn some crap off to you.

Brendan

------------------
1987 IROC-Z L98,SuperRam,EB 6085's,LPE 219/219 Roller, Crane 1.6RR, EB TPI Base, 58mm TB, ADS 24#, AFPR, K&N, EB TES, Catco Cat, 3" Borla Cat-Back, Accel cap,rotor,distro/other crap, MSD 6AL, MSD Blaster 3, Aluminum DS, 94 Disk Rear, Adjustable Valve, Precision 3.73 Gears, Sub-Frame Connectors, Hotchkis Lower Control Arms, KYB Shocks/Struts, Suspension Techniques Lowering Springs, Polyurethan Bushings all over the place, Moog Upper/Lower Ball joints and Tie Rods ends/Idler Arm,

To see the ROC, Check out the webpage Here
Old 04-25-2001, 09:21 AM

Sorry about that Ron, didn't see the 91 there. I definately am going to get some paperwork on this engine. The guy I talked to didn't really know that much about it(its his son's car)
I know I SHOULD be able to tell if it is an lt1 or not. I am thinking that if it is in fact from a vette that it is from a 70-72 with the lt1(or lt-1).
I totally agree with you about him going through all of the touble to get it to run correctly with the opti-spark, etc and then putting a "stock" intake on it. Regardless of how far this guy has his head up his *** , I am going to go take a look at it. I am not going to pass on this in case it is something worthwhile and this guy just doesn't know his cars. I am not really concerned with being able to say "yeah thats an lt1 in my camaro" I want a good running 350 to be able to work with.

------------------
Jay

Jay's webpage
Old 04-25-2001, 02:31 PM
Supreme Member

It Can't Be an LT1. Sorry, No way.

Ps. Anyone who tells you their GM product has "Corvette" parts on it Is Bull****ting You.

Its just a Catchword to make you think its good.

------------------
60 Ranchero - Project ( Money Hole )
85 Sport Coupe LG4 - Daily Driver
Reader's ride -> [URL=https://www.thirdgen.org/rides/index.tgo?action=view&rideid=1221 [/URL]

Just another Hot Rod kid, or thats what they all tell me.
Livin' the Stereotype
Old 04-25-2001, 02:58 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro Convertible
It could be an LT1.

I could be wrong, but I believe it is possible to eliminate the Opti-crap and run an LT1 block with a small block distributor. Again I could be wrong, but I'm sure I've read somewhere that it is possible. I doubt you can use the original intake from a Quadrajet, but I know there are manifolds out there to run a carb on an LT1. I'm not a Gen II expert, and I get so many magazines, but I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere about being able to run that block without the Opti spark. Probably not something some kid would do and not be able to tell what exactly he did. He would have to know everything involved. If he stumbles over his explanation, he's gotta be BS'ing, but you never know unless you look it over real good and pick his brain.

[This message has been edited by 89ragtop (edited April 25, 2001).]
Old 04-25-2001, 03:20 PM

89ragtop, Do you have any idea of what kind of manifold you could do this with? I am gonna tear this kid apart if he doesn't have his **** together. I am going into this assuming that it isn't an lt1. I just need to find out what kind of block it is. Like I said before its not going to be just me looking at it so I am not too worried about not knowing what to look for.
This guys dad knows next to nothing about it so I am hoping that this kid will know more...but you never know with some people. The kid didn't do the stuff himself, he had someone else do it. I am hoping he has some sort of reciept for the work, engine, something.

------------------
Jay

Jay's webpage
Old 04-25-2001, 05:40 PM

I call bulls*t again. You'll just end up tearing him up when you go talk to him. But, hey, it may be fun to make him cry...

This reminds me of the time when I was told the Lincoln Town Car I was looking at had an "inverted V-10". He said the engine being mounted upside down gave it more power...
Old 04-25-2001, 06:26 PM

an inverted v-10, I am amazed at the idiots out there who believe this sort of thing. Becasue you know after you left and someone else came to look at it they bought his whole story, then they go tell their friends that they got a deal on an innverted v-10.

------------------
Jay

Jay's webpage
Old 04-25-2001, 06:39 PM
Supreme Member

I've heard of Opti replacment, but with a LT5 like ignition. I think it's one of those coil per cylinder deals - very pricey.

Hey 'Jayman350' I was thinking to same thing about it being an LT-1 not an LT1 ???

I've never ripped into one yet (72000 on mine). But looking at my helms, it looks like theres a deal that drives the oil pump off the cam, and bolts into the valley. I wonder about weather the cam gears are at all compible with a HEI distributor?

Another note, please tell me if I'm wrong but there shouldn't be any place to put a manual fuel pump on the LT1. I think they did away with manual deal, and the cam probably dosn't even have a lobe for the pump rod.

Hey, even if it is an LT1 and you don't want to go though the hell on installing it, you could fetch twice what he's saleing it for just for the bottom end.

Ron

------------------
'82 Trans Am
'81 Camaro Z-28
'94 Vette LT1 Coupe
Old 04-25-2001, 11:04 PM

Ok, I am gonna go down on sat and figure out what the hell this thing actually is. I am going to check out:
1. Distributor should be on the front side of engine if it truly an lt1
2. gear driven water pump
3. find out what intake is on there
anything else that I am missing?
I appreciate all the help and suggestions that you guys have given me.
Ron, if this is an lt1 and I did decide to sell it instead of installing it, how much do you think I could get for just the bottom end? Also, what trannie came in 92 for the vette?(was it a 700-r4 b/c thats what is in this camaro)
Like I said before I am going into this with an open mind and I am just gonna try and get the facts as far as what this thing is. I think the best case scenario for this would be that it turns out to be an lt-1 from the 70s and then I won't have to deal with the computer crap.

------------------
Jay

Jay's webpage
Old 04-26-2001, 12:59 AM
Supreme Member

Hey best of luck, and please let us know what happens.
Not sure what the going price of an crate LT1 goes for, but with it's short production makes it more pricey then your two & one piece main 350. Hell I paid $160 for a replacment remanufactured water pump, so that gives you an idea. I'll call checkers and see what they want.
Yeap, the auto's came with 4L60 (aka 700R4), they went to E in late 93-94 on.

Good Luck,

Ron

------------------
'82 Trans Am
'81 Camaro Z-28
'94 Vette LT1 Coupe
Old 05-01-2001, 04:28 PM

Well the SOB sold it before I could check it out. So that didnt happen but I got an email from Holley today about a question that I asked them:
I was wondering if there was an intake manifold that would fit a 92 LT1 to
>convert it from fuel injection to carbureated. I am looking at buying a
>used LT1 and I want to know if such a thing is even possible. The person
>claims that they had the lt1 converted becasue they did not want to use the
>corvette computer on their 87 camaro. The car has the stock 700-r4 (same
>transmission for camaro and corvette in those years). I know that the lt1
>uses reverse flow cooling and opti-spark, along with a gear driven water
>pump. Is this at all realistic to make such a conversion? If so, could you
>provide me with some part numbers for an intake manifold and any other parts
>that you might reccomend.
>Thanks
And their response:
Hello,
There is an intake available, but we don't offer it. I think that gm has one.
Thanks

I guess we were all wrong. I don't know how much such an in take would cost but I am putting my money on the fact that this guy didn't do it.
Anyway thanks for the help on the possibility of this.

------------------
Jay

black 85 Z28, t-tops, 4bbl carb, flowmaster 80 series muffler w/ custom tips (hollowed out cat), edelbrock chrome air cleaner, Infinity 4" 2 way front speakers and Infinity 3 way 6x9s, Alpine CDA-7863 head unit. many more mods planned (holley carb 4160 and edelbrock performer RPM intake coming very soon)
Jay's webpage
Old 05-08-2001, 01:37 AM
Supreme Member

I don't know 'Jay' maybe he's confused with the Edelbrock LT1 intake, which is an HP replacment for the stock one, I think Lingenfelter makes one also.
I don't see why you couldn't make one work, but the question is why, I mean where talking money to retro fit all the parts.

Maybe it's better that some one else got it, think of it as a sign

Ron

------------------
'82 Trans Am
'81 Camaro Z-28
'94 Vette LT1 Coupe
Old 05-08-2001, 04:14 AM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R
GM has an LT1 carb intake which lets you use a normal distrib. They also have another one for LT4 heads.

$650? No LT1... no way.

Matthew