Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

rpm's initially go down when stepping on gas

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro Z28 305 TPI manual and
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 / 700-R4
rpm's initially go down when stepping on gas

My 91 305 tpi manual camaro has the following problem. Whenever I step on the gas the initial response is for the rpm's to go down as if the car was to die but then the rpms pick up. Specially this happens when shifting gears (it is a manual). It drives me crazy. Most everything on the motor is new. I have new spark plugs, spark plug wires, brand new distributor with new pick up coil, cap and rotor, new main coil, new serpentine belt, the timing is right etc. I can't figure out what is wrong. I don't get any codes. Could it be a vacuum problem?. In the past I was told that my car had serious oil leaks on my stem guide valves. Could this have become worse and am loosing compression when stepping on the gas? The interesting thing is that if left at particular rpm setting the motor revs smoothly. It is just when stepping on the gas or changing gears when the problems rises. I was also thiking about the TPS. Please somebody help, I am running out of ideas.
Old 09-04-2004, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROCZ
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
TPS, would be my call.