Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Tech question, Anyone with muscle car knowledge please step in!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2001, 02:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tech question, Anyone with muscle car knowledge please step in!

I know its not a camaro but this is the only site i know where someone can help me out. Ill make it fast. I have a 71' Duster with a 68' 340 motor. Now i've used plenty of gasoline for some time until i used Amaco lead free. Now the car blows some clear white smoke from the right header. Could it be that i used unleaded gasoline on the car. Do u know if Plymouth designed the 68' 340 for leaded or unleaded gasoline. I know this is a very stupid question, but i was hoping one of u guys can help me out. I just did a tune up so i doubt that might be a problem. thanks

------------------
92' camaro
New 305 block TPI conversion, Flat top pistons,Bore over .30 Forged parts all around,Edelbrock intake,ported plennum,ported corvette alluminum heads, accel cam,52mm throttle bodie, SLP runners Home aid cold air induction, Air foil,ford SVO 19lb injectors,fuel regulator,cloys timing chain, comp alluminum roller rocker arms and pushrods MSD 8.5 mm wires, bosch plattinum plugs, hypertech cap & rotor and coil, Edelbrock TES headers, free flowing catalytic converter and a 3 inch force II flowmaster exhaust system, and a 3 inch cutout,Zoom multi friction clutch, T-5 tranny,billenstien shocks&struts.
Soon to come!!!
Procharger system 12lbs o boost.
New paint job(hawaiin orchid purple)Cast alluminum ZR1 rims w/ 275 tires.
Favorite quote: "where ever u go, there u are"

Other car;
1971 plymouth Duster
Mods:340,edelbrock victor jr. intake, 650 4 barrel holley, heddman headers,40 series dual flowmasters, cold air intake,4:10 gears, just got a new paint job and cragar rims with 315 tires in the back.
:Yeah its not a chevy but damn how many 71' dusters have u seen in the streets.
Old 04-30-2001, 02:55 PM

Hello, I once owned a 70 Dodge Challenger T/A. That motor was designed to run on leaded fuel unless the heads had different seats put in. White smoke to me sounds like a head gasket. I use to put unleaded in my Challenger but always added octane booster but it would make my plugs turn color.
Old 04-30-2001, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, it all depends on the valve seats. I'm not sure on which fuel w/ hardened or regular seats though
Old 04-30-2001, 03:40 PM
Supreme Member

ahh $hit. I hope i didnt mess it up. After i put that damn gasoline now it idles horrible like it wants to shut off. It never did that before. After i put that gas, about 4 hours later this problem occured. Now its hard to start it, Gotta crank it for 8-10 sec. to get it started. There is gas and i have the see thru fuel filter and their is gas moving so what could be the problem. I alway get 93 octane should i use another gas station, should i get octane booster if so what brand. what should i do...

------------------
92' camaro
New 305 block TPI conversion, Flat top pistons,Bore over .30 Forged parts all around,Edelbrock intake,ported plennum,ported corvette alluminum heads, accel cam,52mm throttle bodie, SLP runners Home aid cold air induction, Air foil,ford SVO 19lb injectors,fuel regulator,cloys timing chain, comp alluminum roller rocker arms and pushrods MSD 8.5 mm wires, bosch plattinum plugs, hypertech cap & rotor and coil, Edelbrock TES headers, free flowing catalytic converter and a 3 inch force II flowmaster exhaust system, and a 3 inch cutout,Zoom multi friction clutch, T-5 tranny,billenstien shocks&struts.
Soon to come!!!

Other car;
1971 plymouth Duster
Mods:340,edelbrock victor jr. intake, 650 4 barrel holley, heddman headers,40 series dual flowmasters, cold air intake,4:10 gears, just got a new paint job and cragar rims with 315 tires in the back.
Old 04-30-2001, 03:42 PM
Supreme Member

oh yeah sorry about the white smoke. Its not really white but misty clear kind of smoke with that odor which smells like gas hasent even been burned. Does anyone know the timing setting on these motors, All i know is that the motor came out of a 68' stock barricuda. Any information on that motor would be helpful.
Old 04-30-2001, 03:44 PM
Supreme Member

anyone??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????/
Old 04-30-2001, 04:38 PM
Supreme Member

Well I don't know alot about Mopars, But...

Hardended valve seats are nessisary For prolonged use with unleaded Fuels. Octane dosent have anything To do with it.

The Only Motor I know the info On for this, Ironically, Is the Ford Falcon Six (ranchero, haha)

It was switched to harded valve seats in 1978.

With that In Mind, Its likely Your Mopar has unhardend seats.

BUT, One tank of unleaded gas is not going to cause problems. And even so, the symptoms you describe don't sound like worn valve seats to me.

Its quiet possible You got water in your gas that tank. Throw some gas-dry or whatever that stuff is in there, and try and get that tank drained.

Go back to the station, and see if anyone else has complained about it. Its not entirely uncommon.

The other likelyhood would be a blown headgasket, look For bubbles in your Coolant, ect. You know the drill.

Remember, Mopar, Chevy, Ford, or Honda, a IC engine is a IC engine, beyond the specific's, they are pricipally the same.

------------------
60 Ranchero - Project ( Money Hole )
85 Sport Coupe LG4 - Daily Driver
Reader's ride -> My Ride

Just another Hot Rod kid, or thats what they all tell me.
Livin' the Stereotype
Old 04-30-2001, 05:22 PM

I would have to agree with the possibility of water in the gas. I got a bad tank in my camaro before. Took about 15 mins. before it started chugging. Crappy idle, hard starting, and when you punched it, it sounded like it was only firing on 4 cylinders. It was so crappy that I ordered a carb rebuid kit, thinking something got plugged up. Guess I was wrong. That would also explain the steam/ mist coming out of your exhaust pipe.

Good luck

------------------
85 Berlinetta Iroc exterior NOW 454 powered, 4.10 gears, 275/60/15 Hoosier Quicktimes and a PILE of other goodies..........YES, it's street driven!

check it out at http://www.bsronline.net/members/rob/rob_specs.html
Old 04-30-2001, 05:25 PM

Two GREAT sites.

www.moparts.com

www.moparchat.com
Old 04-30-2001, 05:57 PM
Supreme Member

Unless your heads have had the hard seats put in during a rebuild they are not hard. It wasn't untill the 70's the hardened seats were standard.

I doubt that the fuel is at fault for anything. If it was then you'd have the prob from both headers. You don't run two carbs from two different tanks do you?

That said, look for a blown head gasket. The fact that you used different fuel is nothing more than a coincidence. It takes prolonged use of unleaded fuel to pound the seats into the head far enough to cause a problem. while you have the heads off (assuming it is the head gasket) you should think about having hardened seats put in.
Old 04-30-2001, 07:05 PM

You said the odor smells like unburnt fuel, and its only coming from one side of the exhuast, the engine is running rough. Have you checked to see if you fouled a plug on that side.
Old 04-30-2001, 07:07 PM
Supreme Member

U know what im an idiot, forgot to tell u guys that i have been using unleaded gasoline for about a year on the duster. I've been using Exxon,mobil,Hess, but until i used Amaco,thats when the problem occured. Funny, i havent changed the timing since i fixed the car up(i know im an a$$hole). GUess ill try the gas dry thing and see if it works. Hope its not a blown engine gasket. The internals and heads are completely stock and have 389,000 miles on it and last time i ran the quarter mile i ran 13.21. Never been rebuild so i guess its time for someone to look at it. I guess what im really interested in finding out is For the 68' barricuda 340, was that motor made for leaded or unleaded.
Old 04-30-2001, 08:27 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 Bolt, 3.42
A 68 340 was definately made for leaded gas. The lead lubricates the valve guides, running the car on unleaded fuel for a year or so could have caused excessive wear and could also make the valves stick a little bit. You can buy lead substitute and put it in your gas tank, most of the automotives stores have it. Its something to try before you end up taking the heads off and rebuild them. Good luck with it. Duster are nice cars, my dad has a 74 with a 360.

------------------
best 1/4 mile so far: 13.4 @ 101mph

84 Camaro 305 ported & milled heads, 3 angle valve job, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Hedman full length headers, Accell ignition, Crane 274H cam, B&M 700R-4, 3000 stall speed, 4.10 gear,
M/T ET street tires
visit my website at http://www.geocities.com/jbenge/page1.html
Old 04-30-2001, 08:41 PM

Car: 1985 Z28
Engine: 502
Transmission: 700R4
Thing is, he said that there was only smoke coming out one side of the exhaust, which means there is not water in the gas, if anything, I would guess a head gasket on the right side has blown. Carefull though, if you run the motor with a blown head gasket, be ready for a bent rod, or worse....

------------------
BigBlockJason
85 Z28 T-Tops
http://communities.msn.com/JasonsStuff/homepage
Old 04-30-2001, 10:16 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 241 Likes on 196 Posts
Vortech,

I'm only a little confused. THe 'Cuda in '67 should have had a 318, and either a 318 or 340 in '68, IIRC. It was theoretically good for about 180 HP/275 lb/ft. They were all designed to rely oon tetraethyle lead additives until about 1973, when the advent of low-lead and lead-free fuel was inevitable.

I used to work with a guy who was a Mopar freak, and I alway enjoyed making hime feel bad about his 440 'Cuda, even though I had a "smaller" engine in the Pontiac.

Regardless of what you determine the problem to be, I'll guess you'll be pulling the heads to replace gaskets at least. If you tear into it and really want to save the heads, many better-equipped shops can induction harden the existing valve seats then regrind.

Good luck.

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"What a Day..."
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Old 05-01-2001, 10:23 AM
Supreme Member

GUess what i started the duster this morning, because last night i put STP octane booster for the hell of it and the white smoke is gone. I guess the only problem is if i leave the engine off for a while and start it up it takes about 10 sec. of cranking to start it up, While its warmed up and i shut it off and start it up again its starts up, with no hesitation. When its in park or neutral and i give gas gradually as the RPM goes higher it seems the idle gets rougher. Maybe i do need a gasket or have the head rebuild but like i said i havent fixed the timing since i painted and started up the motor last year. MY older brother who first owned this car says i might have to adjust the distributor or work on the timing or jet the carb.
Old 05-01-2001, 10:22 PM
Supreme Member

With 389,000 miles and no rebuild, I'd just be happy it started.
Old 05-02-2001, 12:16 PM
Supreme Member

I know, these motor got ***** the size of watermellons. I believe from the factory they came with forged piston,forged rods and forged crank. The thing is my brother had it since 73' and drove it till 80' and left it in the garage till 99' i changed oil, tuneup and the car started up with no problems. The car if freakin 30 years old and its still running, I think i have another 500,000 miles more before i might have to rebuild
Old 05-02-2001, 12:28 PM
Supreme Member

Something is Missing from teh equation here....

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">he internals and heads
are completely stock and have 389,000 miles on it and last time i ran the quarter mile i ran 13.21 </font>
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">IRC. It
was theoretically good for about 180 HP/275 lb/ft.</font>

not ****in LIkely, The 1/4 times for the 426 Hemi Roadrunners Wernt Even that fast.

180 Hp =! 13.21, Maybe in a Radial Flyer.

Soooo Either Your Full of it Or that Motor isnt a stock 68 Barracuda 340, With 389,000 On it.

That Or Vader's Wrong

But Ill put my Money On the Middle option, To save Vortech Some Face

------------------
Reader's ride -&gt; My Ride

Livin' the Stereotype
Old 05-02-2001, 12:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I don't think you have head gasket problems. It would idle like crap, and yours doesn't. Long cranking times first thing in the morning is typical carbueted engine behavior.

If you're the "belt and suspenders" type jsut run a quick compression check and see if one or more cylinders is down on squeeze. I don't think so, though. I'd concentrate more on proper tuning assuming it passes a basic compression test.

If you drive the car regularly then invest in a can of lead-replacement gas additive. It takes a LONG time to weak out an exhaust seat due to lack of lead but it WILL happen. If you run over 3000 RPM regularly you can do it in only a few months.

[This message has been edited by Damon (edited May 02, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Damon (edited May 02, 2001).]
Old 05-02-2001, 05:03 PM
Supreme Member

First off the guy that said the 340's have 180 hp has no idea(no offense) these motor came with 275 hp and 385 ft lbs of torque. If u read my sig below u see 71' duster with mods. Thats how i ran 13.2. Got great new though, Yesterday at night it was idling like $hit so i figured let me go put some gas, so i went to Hess put $10 worth and still idled bad. THe next day(afternoon)Turned it and it started right away. It idles gorgeous, even got the beautiful rumble back. No smoke, no ruff idle,no problem, dont know what to say except i gotta give plymouth their props for muscle inginuity. Im back in the game, hunting the street for mustangs, imports and some camaros,corvettes,and all others(just kidding)Anyway i wanna tell u guys i appreciate all your time,help and opinions. Dont know what the hell the problems were but the cars running great again. I checked the spark plugs and there sort of black but very shiny, Am i running rich or lean or is am i alright. How should the spark plug look like for nice condition. Anyone know the timing for the 340's

------------------
92' camaro
Soon to come!!!

Other car;
1971 plymouth Duster
Old 05-02-2001, 08:36 PM
Supreme Member

Damn, I amaze Myself.

Bad gas, Called it Right at the start!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Its quiet possible You got water in your gas that tank. Throw some gas-dry or whatever that stuff is in there, and try and get that tank drained.
</font>
Lookout Vader, Your One Shot Diagnosis Title Is In Jepordy!

------------------
Reader's ride -&gt; My Ride

Livin' the Stereotype
Old 05-03-2001, 08:53 AM
Supreme Member

:P