Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Engine Removal Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 03:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '85 Camaro
Engine: LG4 305
Transmission: T-5
Engine Removal Questions?

I have done the following so far...

1. Drained the coolant, removed the shroud, removed the radiator.

2. Drained the oil, removed the oil filter.

3. Removed the hood.

4. Removed the battery.

5. Put the whole car on jackstands.

6. Disconnected the A/C compressor from the bracket. It still has two hoses connected to it. It is resting on the nose of the car.

There is a second "radiator" in the nose that is connected to the A/C compressor. I assume that I need to remove it for the same reasons that you remove the radiator. Does it have freon in it? How do I remove the freon so I can disconnect the stuff?

I have heard that you need about five feet above the hood level of the car to remove the engine. Is there a way to work with less? My car is backed into the garage and I don't think I have that much room.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 08-21-2004, 05:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Engine Removal Questions?

Originally posted by jrg77

There is a second "radiator" in the nose that is connected to the A/C compressor. I assume that I need to remove it for the same reasons that you remove the radiator. Does it have freon in it? How do I remove the freon so I can disconnect the stuff?

I have heard that you need about five feet above the hood level of the car to remove the engine. Is there a way to work with less? My car is backed into the garage and I don't think I have that much room.

Thanks,
Jason
That is the condensor, don't remove it, just remove the radiator.
Don't forget to unbolt the power steering pump and let it hang off to the side (remember the hoses are connected to the steering box).
Five feet above the engine? That would depend on the length of the chains you use.
What I did was put the car up on stands to unhook everything, then put it back on its wheels to remove the engine itself, made it a lot easier and overhead clearance wasn't an issue.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:05 PM

Should I drain the power steering? How?

I have the water pump and fan off as one unit. There is a pulley at the bottom with three bolts on the side and one in the middle. I have already undone the three bolts. Is it okay to undo the one in the middle. As far as I can tell that gives me ample room to pull the engine forward, right?

Am I looking at it correctly that the exhaust is basically supported by the manifold bolts until behind the cat? It appears to be welded to a bracket back there. Is that an issue?

Thanks,
Jason
Old 08-21-2004, 07:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a pulley at the bottom with three bolts on the side and one in the middle. I have already undone the three bolts. Is it okay to undo the one in the middle. As far as I can tell that gives me ample room to pull the engine forward, right?

The bottom pulley...the crank pulley? If so that bolt is actually holding the harmonic balancer and taking that bolt off won't do anything for you (need a balancer puller to get the balancer off)Those 3 bolts should have been all that was holding the crank pulley, it just needs a rap with a mallet to get it off now.
With the radiator out and the pump/fan off you should have more than enough room to pull the engine, especially if you use an engine leveler to tilt it as you pull it out.

If you unbolt the manifolds from the exhaust pipes you should be able to pull the engine straight up a couple inches then tilt the engine and hoist away.

Also check your trans lines, they are held to the engine by a clip or 2 on the passenger side.

If you want to drain the power steering pump, just put a pan under it after you unbolt it and take the cap off and let it hang upside down over the pan.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:14 PM

I have trans lines on the passenger side? I thought the line went straight down from by the master cylinder? Are you referring to an automatic trnas or a manual?

Should I take the manifolds off or disconnect them from the y-pipe?

Thanks,

Jason
Old 08-21-2004, 08:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '91 Z28
Engine: L98 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 323's
I have trans lines on the passenger side? I thought the line went straight down from by the master cylinder? Are you referring to an automatic trnas or a manual?

Should I take the manifolds off or disconnect them from the y-pipe?
trans lines are for the auto trans, normally they will run alongside the passenger side of the oil pan. i just removed my TPI engine yesterday, and i know your set-up is different than mine, but just make sure you have everything disconnected - double check. i am replacing my entire exhaust system, but i disconnected mine at the manifolds and left the manifolds on. they were a bitch to get off with the engine pulled, but just my experience. another thing i did, even though i know my engine fairly well, was to mark all the connectors with a tag so i know where it all goes if i get confused for some reason, and also i took pictures of mainly the passenger side with all the vacuum lines and a/c so i could refer back to it if i have to.

i had my car up on jacks, too, when i pulled the motor, so like someone else said, chain length could be a factor. my chain was just long enough to not bind on anything and i cleared the body with no problem. but make sure your chain won't bind on anything cuz you don't want something breaking or cracking.

KAM