Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Waaa??!! Amsoil at Murray's?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2007 Volvo S60R, 2005 Audi A4
Engine: 300HP 2.5L I5, 200HP 2.0L I4
Transmission: TF-80SC, Getrag 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.33:1, 3.54:1
Waaa??!! Amsoil at Murray's?

Went to Murray's to get a PCV, air filter, oil filter, and Mobil 1 for daily driver. What do I see? AMSOIL on the shelf! They had both engine oil and transmission oil. I have been using Mobil 1 in the engines, but wanted to get no less than Amsoil trans fluid for the transmissions--I am very happy to find I can now get it with much less hassle. Plus, the engine oil was only $1/qt. more than Mobil 1.

Just an FYI--check your local stores if you're interested.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:57 PM

Car: 85 Trans Am
Engine: 350 (CCC QJet)
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08 9 bolt
I work for a motorcycle shop, Amsoil is over priced and is not always consistent from our observations. But its your money....
Old 08-12-2004, 04:15 PM

Car: 2007 Volvo S60R, 2005 Audi A4
Engine: 300HP 2.5L I5, 200HP 2.0L I4
Transmission: TF-80SC, Getrag 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.33:1, 3.54:1
I hesitated before posting this as some find lubricants an emotional subject for some reason. Many people get sucked in by vague baiting comments like the one above and just start arguing away.

As a (probably futile) preemptive measure in the interests of avoiding yet another flaming oil thread, anyone can invest in oil analysis which will show every important aspect of whatever their brand/type of oil and it's current state. These oil analyses are typically used by operators of large industrial equipment where too frequent fluid changes can get expensive, and analysis also sheds light on the condition of the engine. A very useful tool IMHO.

Peace
Old 08-16-2004, 12:14 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
AMSOIL has had a retail program for quite awhile. A local dealer has to set it up with the individual retailer. AMSOIL has chosen not to deal with chains directly (which is why you won't see it at Wallyworld). You may see it at a franchise-type store, but not a company-owned chain (unless the local manager is given that prerogative by the chain).

Originally posted by Forshock 85TA
I work for a motorcycle shop, Amsoil is over priced ...
How do you define that; by the retail price compared to what it costs them to manufacture, package, distribute, and market (i.e., they're making too much money - let's not forget research and development costs), or by cost/benefit ratio?

Is the shop set up as a retailer or commercial account?

...and is not always consistent from our observations.
How do you define "consistent". On what quantitative data is that statement based?
Old 08-16-2004, 05:14 PM

Car: 85 Trans Am
Engine: 350 (CCC QJet)
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08 9 bolt
Originally posted by five7kid
AMSOIL has had a retail program for quite awhile. A local dealer has to set it up with the individual retailer. AMSOIL has chosen not to deal with chains directly (which is why you won't see it at Wallyworld). You may see it at a franchise-type store, but not a company-owned chain (unless the local manager is given that prerogative by the chain).

How do you define that; by the retail price compared to what it costs them to manufacture, package, distribute, and market (i.e., they're making too much money - let's not forget research and development costs), or by cost/benefit ratio?

Is the shop set up as a retailer or commercial account?

How do you define "consistent". On what quantitative data is that statement based?
Dont want to make this a flame thread or anything. And i cant provide Scientific data, yet REAL LIFE i can.
PRICING DEBATE
Based on LAB tests, Mobil and Amsoil are typically equal in the round of test, with one leading the other in different tests. See: www.motor-oil-bible.com
With that beaing said, lets look at when we all change our oil... Most do between 3000-5000 miles per change. Based on what was provided above, Amsoil is $1 more than Mobil 1. Assuming 6 qts, that is over 6 dollars more in cost (factor taxes) That is the price on 7 qts (plus minus) of mobil.

You mention that fact of marketing and packaging costs, this would seem to negate that Mobil doesnt market, as Amsoil doesnt (except through an Amway style ladder) I have seen DOZENS of different mobil commercials. Which means that Mobil would abviously be spending more marketing dollars. packaging doesnt really come in to play as its all bottled in the same materials (plastic and a box). This would typically mean a CHEAPER product because marketing isnt as costly (think Kraft vs. Stater Bros., Payless vs. Foot Locker, etc.)

The C/B ratio would seem to favor mobil, yes/no?

REAL LIFE
Example 1:
The shop i work for (Retailer ) maintains a race team competing at a regional level (pro/expert class). Amsoil wanted to have a location in our area, as well as support our race team. In a 2002 KX125, which ran Motul 800 prior, we ran Amsoil Series 2-cycle Race premix, this bike had been reliable and was highly maintained (as are race bikes). The first race was run 32:1 with Motul (yes this is pricey oil too). The bike was then checked over the week, read maintenance. Next race Amsoil, (40:1 as recommended by our "Amsoil Support") This bike didnt finish the first moto!

Example 2:
The reps sent us an oil known as Amsoil 100:1 premix, which we thought, is a little odd, and was told that this was used in many racing scenarios at 80:1-90:1
On a trip to glamis in a Banshee, ran at 70:1, this bike lasted less than 1/2 a day with what i would call "standard" riding in the dunes. BTW this bike used to run Motul also with no issues!

FINAL
Im done, as this topic has been discussed before, either way, you cant go wrong with either oil as both have been proven in many tests. But my money will go to the "Polluters" (see amsoil for that story)

IM OUTIE
Old 08-16-2004, 05:24 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Originally posted by Forshock 85TA
... lets look at when we all change our oil... Most do between 3000-5000 miles per change.
Perhaps. I've been doing the 1 year/25,000 mile (filter at half that) changes on several different vehicles for over 21 years. No engine failures or rebuilds in that time (except those worn out with petroleum oil by somebody else first).

What failed on the moto & dunes bikes? Have you had a bike fail that never ran anything but AMSOIL?