Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Harsh shifts, will they damage...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2001, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt SLP Torsen, 3.73 ratio
Harsh shifts, will they damage...

Well, I guess everyone except for zippy thought my last post was about aftermarket stuff, or no one else had any idea! I have no idea what "stage" shift kit my trans has on it, what I can tell you is that the shifts are almost and maybe even boyond the point of a harsh shift. I know a shift kit is on it, and I know the clutches have been tightly packed. the 1-2 shift is especially hard. It almost feels as though all the engine power drains right before the **** to go into the shift, and then all that energy seems to get released all at once in the instant of the shift. 1 willlight 'em up on these texas roads (wasn't as easy in PA!) 1-2 will really get 'em spinning even if they werent already! On well paved, hot sticky roads, the 1-2 shift will light 'em up. The whoe car seems to clunk in this shift. I have found that if I rev up to say 4000 rpm in first, and let off the gas, the car will shift not under power and not clunk/spin tires/etc. But is this doing harm? How about letting it shift hard, doesn't this put undue pressure on the rear end gears (I was told they are stronger going foward, and weaker going back, and the shift would cause a huge change in foward power, but when the tires grip would cause a huge backward power). Also which is faster, if they don't spin on the 1-2 shift and only chirp? I really can't afford another set of rear end gears, and I can't afford to rebuild the trans again! However, when I take it down the 1/4 mi I want to know what it's capable of, so I want the best possible time. Any input on this is appreciated!

------------------
Corry Lazarowitz
clazarow@voicenet.com
clazarowitz@hotmail.com
1987 Pontiac Trans AM (GTA?) 350 TPI
SLP 1 3/4" headers, 3" cat back (stock cat
MSD ignition.
MSD Blaster SS coil.
3.73 Rear end gears
Accell 8.8 Wires
Bosh +4 Spark Plugs (Don't know if they really help but hell!)
Holley AFPR
Race Built Automatic trans ('vette servo, shift kit, tightly packed clutches)--just needs titanium gears now!
Newly gutted cat (the car gutted it's own cat!)
More soon when funds are avail...
Old 04-19-2001, 02:55 PM

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt SLP Torsen, 3.73 ratio
does anyone know?!
Old 04-19-2001, 03:02 PM
Banned

The guy who built my trans said harder shifts make the clutch last longer. But I think that naturally, since the rear is where the harsh shift goes next, it would cause more wear and tear on the rear.

You can adjust how hard it shifts by taking the vacuum hose off the modulator and turning the screw inside clockwise - harder, or counter clockwise - softer shifts.
Old 04-19-2001, 03:15 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2004 Chevy Avalanche
Engine: Some that run, some that don't
Transmission: 700R4's, a T-5, and a Turbo 350
Quick shifts are better on a transmission. Slow shifts are actually caused by slippage. Slippage generates heat that kills transmissions.
Old 04-19-2001, 04:24 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350tpi comming soon!
Transmission: fixed the 700r4 again!
my new trans shifts very hard and what i like about it as it shifts very quick. my ol stock trans took forever to shift witch is prob way i was gettin some slipage between gears 3 and 4. with a good trans you shold be able to feal it shift very quickly no matter what gear its in. by the way if you gonna install a good trans definitly get a tras cooler its worth it.

------------------
91 camaro RS
- 305 TBI
Mods: Performer TBI intake, 1" TBI spacer, K+N, jet fan switch ,160 thermo,Accel control module, Jet Stage 2 chip, edelbrock TES headers, Compleate 3" Flowmaster exhaust, Edelbrock springs, KYB struts and shocks, 700R4 built by TSI, SLP tq converter, b+m trans cooler
Soon to come .SLP Posi 323,Spohn LCA's and panhard bar,Ascd ram air hood, Z28 spoiler and grille,white guage faces.