Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Kind of non-tech, but all 3rd Gen...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2001 | 12:20 PM

Kind of non-tech, but all 3rd Gen...

So, here's the deal. Someone has been attempting to break into my car for the past 2 or 3 days or so. This morning when I left for work I noticed that the passenger side key cylinder was lying on the ground. Yesterday morning it was my window pulled out away from the rubber. Whoever it is is an idiot! They left fingerprints EVERYWHERE! He must have been eating chicken because the fingerprints are really apparent. But regardless of my problems, the cops probably aren't going to pursue this very heavily because there are no witnesses. My question to all of you is this... does anyone out there have any ideas or suggestions for ways to catch this person? The car is under a car port on blocks (from the winter). Later.
Old 04-16-2001 | 12:44 PM

Just look out the window and keep a eye on your car all night, or install a motion detecting light in your carport, or get a big dog and tie him to the carport for the night. Or you could get a car alarm.
Old 04-16-2001 | 12:52 PM

What I would really like to do is catch this person in the act, then blow his knee caps of with my .44 Magnum. Or maybe just stick him one time with my K-Bar (one big *** "Rambo" knife), that way it doesn't kill him but he will definitely have to make a trip to the hospital, where I could easily track him down. These are the thoughts that come to mind when this kind of crap happens. Please, please God let me catch this dude!!!
Old 04-16-2001 | 02:00 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 mildly modified
Transmission: 700R4 fully modified
Hook a couple batteries up to the body of the car... That should help you find him atleast and it'll work the same as a siren when he's screaming from electrocution.
Old 04-16-2001 | 02:32 PM

you could get a web cam and set it up looking at your car. Some even turn on when they sense motion.
Old 04-16-2001 | 03:02 PM

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt SLP Torsen, 3.73 ratio
Even more fun, as long as you aren't using the car, and NO ONE IN YOUR HOUSE will touch it, go to your local high powered stereo shop, grap a few 1/2-1 Farad capacitors...run leads to under the door handle so if they try and use the handle, well, lets just say, their hand will probably turn into a cloud of red mist, and since both the contacts are under the door handle, the current will not flow into his heart, so it *shouldn't* kill the SOB, but he'll definatly have to take a trip to the hospital, and he will have a *VERY* unusual injury...should be easy to i.d. him. If you should want to get into the car, cut the wires running to the door handle *one by one*, carefully take the capacitor out (not touching the terminals, grab a POS screw driver you do not care about, and put it across the leads of the capacitor, it will probably mildly weld the screwdriver to the leads. That should catch him Note, you can do this all over the car in the same manner! Just be careful! People have been sued for this kind of thing, a story comes to mind about a couple of teens playing mailbox baseball, one person gets fed up w/ this, and the cops doing nothing, so he puts up a mailbox, full of cement, the pole full of cement, and 2' into the ground full of cement, the bat breaks the kids arm, and his parents sue...and win. Travesty of justice IMO!
The web cams are probably a better choice, or just stand guard a few nights (caffeene anyone? )
Good luck w/ your thief!

------------------
Corry Lazarowitz
clazarow@voicenet.com
clazarowitz@hotmail.com
1987 Pontiac Trans AM (GTA?) 350 TPI
SLP 1 3/4" headers, 3" cat back (stock cat MSD ignition.
MSD Blaster SS coil.
3.73 Rear end gears
Accell 8.8 Wires
Bosh +4 Spark Plugs (Don't know if they really help but hell!)
Holley AFPR
Newly Self gutted cat!
More soon when funds are avail...
Old 04-16-2001 | 04:50 PM

Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
I say setup up a motion detector and a pager then make sure you're ready that he might have a gun too. The last thing you want is this to turn into a blood bath. Call the cops or better yet be really quiet and follow him home, that way you know where the cops can find his fingerprints . Good luck with this, my car was totalled after it was broken into so I hope you nail this SOB.

------------------
, Jon (350 TBI! getting 23mpg highway)
91 Red RS w/grey int, sq stereo (Alpine v12, kicker solo, MB quart premium etc)AIM: JPrevost
  • Holley 670 TB unit w/ 1/2" spacer/adapter
  • Edelbrock RPM vortec intake
  • 350ho 330hp vortec crate motor
  • 8" harm. balancer
  • Stewart stage 2 water pump w/160 thermo
  • SLP tri-y headers to full 3"
  • Rebuilt trans w/ SLP shift kit
  • Centerline 16x8's all around
  • 36/24 mm sway bars
  • Full poly bushings, even motor mounts
  • SLP LCA and panhard
  • Alston SFCs
  • Edelbrock 3 point STB
  • Global west steering brace aka wonderbar
  • Eibach pro kit springs
  • Bilstien high perf. struts and shocks
  • All this and I still have AC
My websiteAny questions?
Old 04-16-2001 | 05:47 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.
Motion detector to camera on a 30 sec. delay, or a video camera (shut off the audio) and post a tiny closed circuit sign on the carport.
Old 04-16-2001 | 06:32 PM

Car: 89 IROC
Engine: Yes
Transmission: That, too.
I really like all of the above suggestions which involve cameras. They will provide you with proof which can be taken to the cops. With that sort of proof presented to the local PD they would have almost no choice but to bust the kid.

My opinion is that anyone who would try to break into a car on repeated nights has got to be the dumbest car thief ever invented, and is therefore most probably some high school punk. Even if he got past the door I'm certain he wouldn't be able to get past the VATS circuitry.
Old 04-16-2001 | 10:45 PM

I highly recommend getting some form of theft insurance (comprehensive) with a low deductable. I carry $100 deductable and it is about the same price as $500. If it's sitting on your property it might be covered under your homeowners policy but you would have to check that.
Jeff
Old 04-17-2001 | 02:54 AM

well if its on blocks..then just forget about it! take out the stereo equipment and any cd's in the car and that will definitly bore the guy. if theres nothing to steal and the cars on blocks ??...umm whats he going to steal?? i understand that its just the fact someone is doing it but, just do as i siad and he finally give up and go somewhere where he can steal something ALOT better. thats the cheap way...or you can buy a lousy alarm..basically the useless approcah anyone with a brain can get by a alarm!!

------------------
89 firebird formula

356 10.5:1compression CURRENTLY DEAD!!! BEARING FAILURE!!
comp cams xe262 cam
performer rpm intake
#1405 edlebrock 600
sportsman 2 heads 64cc 2.02/1.60 valves 200cc intake runner
msd 6al
h.e.i. proform 50,000 volt vac. advance ditributor
700r-4 with 3.08 first gear and 3.23 posi 7 5/8 rear end.
b trans shift kit(will kill shifts...suck dong!!)
shorty heddman hedders with custom 3" pipe y-pipe back(no damn cat!) with 40 series flowmaster!

future mods: 406 roller REALLY REALLY REALLY RADICAL!!!!!

current engine underway..sucks not having a car!! Building the same engine but .060 over balanced and blueprinted..decided to get a little more serious this time around!!
Old 04-17-2001 | 03:02 AM

A guy I know had the same problem. He somehow put razor blades under the door handle and was able to get into the car because he knew they were their. Unfortunatly (for the crook), he didnt see them until he sliced open his fingers and left blood all over the place. Not too sure how he did it but he was able to get his fingers behind the blades and lift the handles.
Old 04-17-2001 | 03:22 AM
Supreme Member

As for the alarm theory, I have an alarm on mine with pin switches, 2 shock sensors, glass sensor and 2 back up batteries. One battery is for the "brain" and one is built into the siren. You can unbolt the siren, cut the wires, throw it in a bucket of water and it will still be going off. I have won many bets by setting the alarm, leaving the windows down, the doors unlocked and betting someone to get into the car without me hearing the alarm.
Old 04-17-2001 | 09:47 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
I'd find a buddy, leave your house like you're going to work, and drive back to your house with your friend. Then park somewhere and wait... it'll be a pain, but sounds like it'd be worth it in the end. A motion sensor hooked up to some kind of clock would be great; then you'd know what time he came.

Or heck, pay the neighbors $$ to look out at the car every now and then; and if they catch the theif, they get $100.

------------------
-Tom P (Hot rodded 1986 Firebird 2.8l) from http://www.f-body.net/mailbag/3rd/3rd_mailbag.html message boards
---Think your car could be pic of the week? Visit http://www.f-body.net for details!
Old 04-17-2001 | 05:54 PM

Tip 1) My friend in the car club here was getting his car spit on everyday by somebody so he set up a webcam to monitor his car in the parking lot on ultra low resolution so it could run for 16 hours and caught the guy first try. He found out that the guy lived in his apartment complex and had a special talk with the sack o ****. This also would work in your case probably.

tip 2) If yoru car is drivable and your are afraid of him driving off with it I have a simple solution. Disconnect your battery, your ECM, those wires that go into your HEI distributor, your throttle linkages(if your have stick shift your clutch start switch too), and finally your hood light. That would take you about 1 minute but would take him(or her...ya right) about 50+ minutes to figure out everything, that alone will save you some seriously needed time if he gets in the car.

tip 3) definitely listen to some of the other post, especially the one about the dog.

tip 4) I heard somewhere that most states do not consider car theft a crime unless the car physically moves, so even if you catch the guy, if he does not get anywhere then you can only get him for unlawful entry or some law along those lines.

Food for thought: Before you go killing someone, realize that although I would want to, hurting him is not the best option ever. Our pansy court system is set up to protect scum like this guy so that if slips and hurts himself in your carport, let alone gets assaulted by you, he can sue you for your car and then some. I say catch him and get his a** sent to jail where some guy named buba will take care of the rest. Honestly though, I doubt the guy will come back, any half brained idiot would know you got to be on the look out for him by now.

[This message has been edited by UVA3rdGen (edited April 17, 2001).]
Old 04-17-2001 | 06:39 PM

You're right....The court system sucks.

Two words no matter HOW you catch him...."Street Justice"!!! Just don't leave any evidence or proof that you got back at him, or then the tables of the "law" are turned against you.

Flame me all you want guys.....but I have no respect for people screwing with other peoples propertyy for no reason. And yeah, I believe in revenge. The court systems fail alllll the time just as mentioned above, and I'd rather take my chances dishing out my own punishment rather than relying on the three ring circus of a court system that we have to resolve matters.

Just my opinion.

------------------
86 Trans Am WS6 Black with tinted windows, shaved door handles
ZZ4, Mini-ram, true duals, LT4 HotCam, AFR 195 heads.
***Too many other mods to mention***

"In the future, cities will become deserts,
roads will become battlefields, and the hope of mankind
will appear as a stranger"
The Road Warrior
Old 04-17-2001 | 07:10 PM
Supreme Member

What you need is what me and my buds have dubbed "the jack *** whacker." 2 foot long iron pipe with "Jackass Whacker" written on it in big letters. ALl you gotta do is catch him in the act and he'll probably be scarred snnotless.

J/k this might be a bad idea, he could be armed or somethign and i'd hate to see that happen to anyone. I'd say get a good set of the prints and catch the guy on camera. And then IF you wanna put in the extra effort, hire some trustworthy weirdo freind (there is a such thing, i happen to be one) to follow the idiot home. Nothing original, combo of others ideas i know. Oh well thats what i'm here for! J/k