Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

idle rough, chuggging

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004 | 04:31 PM

idle rough, chuggging

okay! I have a 92 camarors v8 305 tbi!..
it has about 200,000 miles but other than what i may have done something it runs beauty, doesnt burn.leak oil!. ive changed head gaskets , etc already but everything else is original

the problem i cant figure out is after i tried to re-adjsut the valves (typical maintanence)... it idles rough at low idle anything 1000 rpm and under enough to make the car shake.. it doesnt make any miss sounds, putt putt, sounds like you can hear a knock tho....... when you are driving , anything 1000rpm under, when you push on the gas it does this push/pull chug thing.. when u let off it stops.. anything above 1000rpm and it boogies! It has power! .

what I did was adjust the valves about 1/2 turn from lash.. ive done it before and never had a problem.... but then i found a leaking airpi0pe so i ripped the exhaust manifold off blah blah fixxed that.. before i tried to start it.. now it idles rough.. I replaces the o2 sensor and the spark plugs and the wire... i noticed the plug in cylidnder 7th gets carbon fouled prettie fast cuz i put in a clean one 2 days later its carboned up prettie a lot... i just replaced the cap and rotor.. fuel seems to come out fine... .

all I can think is I did somethng bad and messed the internal engine up or Imt hinking about trying to readjust the valves one more time.. any Ideas what else i can look for? the filters are all new all this seems to happen after I readjusted the valves and Im stumped! it still runs and it doesnt die out. it just idles rough and chugs at low idle when accelerating... thanks
Old 07-16-2004 | 06:52 PM

Oh also when i first set the valves this time... (because i forgot about 1/2 to 3/4 turn theory.. it said turn it 1 full turn past 0 lash!> all i can think of 1 full turn is 360 degrees.. so i set them all,. then when i tried to start it.. it wouldnt stop it misfired , shoot gas through throttle, etc.. but if i push on the car.. i sort of forced it. too.. well i thought it was something other than my valve adjustment so stupid me get pushin on the gas to try and keep it running and them somewhere along the way that wouldnt work on more. and it make some metal/clinging click noise or sumthing its hard to desribe but it wouldnt do anything anymore so gave up readjuste dthem smaller and it started right up!! but idles rough like it does now!. this is why i dont know if i screwerd up something internall... Valve,lifter, etc... or maybe I misadjusted one or so.. cuz it feels like a cyclinder isnt kicking right... you can hear a knock while its idling rough.. but the RPM doesnt flucturate or anything..... its usually prettie study! just the car shakes bad at idle now and chugs when the rpms is around maybe 1200 and under. usually around 30mph, or so..like its cutting out... so im stuck and im going insane! otherwise after you go over about 1200rpm it .. picks up speed and everything seems to clear up and it moves... but i dont like the rough knock at idle.. im trying to make this engine last as long as I can.... any help would be GREATLY appreciated
Old 07-16-2004 | 09:08 PM
Banned

Car: 1985 Firebird
Engine: 327
Transmission: TH350
Readjust the valves to 1/2 turn. Kinda difficult to follow your post but it sounds to me as if your valves are not closing all the way.
Old 07-17-2004 | 12:01 AM

thanks. sorry bout that.i was a lil tired when i wrote that and i realized my grammar was terrible when i re-read that... I'll adjust them later today and see where that gets me..
Old 07-17-2004 | 01:41 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.
Re: idle rough, chuggging

Originally posted by liltapper21
...the problem i cant figure out is after i tried to re-adjsut the valves (typical maintanence)...
Please explain the typical Maintenance thing. Once they are set, thaey are set, lock 'em and forget them. Are you running a soild by any chance?!?
Old 07-17-2004 | 08:44 AM

hey disregard that maintainance. thing. ... ive had to pull off the heads befor eto change blown gaskets.. but this time .. i did a dumb thing... so I learned from that the only thing is.. im trying to resolve it and fix it. if its fixable....

im going to try to redo the valves with 1/2 turn past lash and start it.. and at least see if i can center out what cylinder is knocking (if it still knocks)... maybe sticky or worn valves on that cylinder... push rods. all looked good when i took them out cleaned them and rechecked them.... if not.. Ill be back.
Old 07-17-2004 | 07:18 PM

Alright!!!! I readjusted the valves 1/2 turn,...cranked it.. started right upp smooooth as a bird.. no vibration no hesitation. put it all together... and started it...! sounds beautiful..! even betetr than before.. it doesnt shake doesnt even shimmer when u first put it in gear..... no misfiring!.. and with the new cap/rotor/wires/plugs and o2 sensor!... thanks!!