Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Wow, found my engine knock!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 Trans Am
Engine: 305
Wow, found my engine knock!

If you have not heard our story of our T/A. My son and I bought a 84 T/A from a guy who told us it ran but had a rod knocking in it. Car had very little rust, no holes, and looked like it had potential. GOt the whole thing for $50 and the guy let us use his trailer to haul it home on.

One week later we got it running and sure enough heard a knock in it. It sounded real deep and no matter which side I went to it sounded like it was coming from the other side. I got under it for a look and the oil pan is dented like yo would not believe. Looks like someone has put a jack under the cross member but it slipped off into the oil pan. Pulled the motor last night and took off the pan. Sure enough, 2 places wehre the crank was hitting the tray in the pan. Going to rebuild it anyway but thought it was funny.

Bob
Old 07-07-2004, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 Firebird Formula
Engine: 305 LG4
Transmission: Auto
That's cool and funny...

I just got a new intake and lifters in mine. Running much better than before and I think the ticking is gone. A couple of the lifters were sticking in their bores.

Need to get the carb worked out or swap on another one, and then headers and exhaust.

Later...
Old 07-07-2004, 03:21 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
In the early 90's I got a no-tin 350 longblock to replace the 283 in the '57. It had a pretty good knock from the counterweights hitting the pan baffle. I removed the pan, banged the baffle down, put it back together. Still had a light tap. Took it off again, didn't appear to be hitting anymore, but hammered it down some more.

Still tapped. Sounded like an Olds diesel. Adjusted all the valves. Still tapped. Finally isolated it to the new fuel pump having a spring that had taken a set, wasn't pushing against the rod all the way back . Another new pump, nice and quiet finally.

Speaking of bent pans:
The one on the Camaro now is there because a bud was jacking up his ZZ3-equiped car with a wood block between the jack saddle and crossmember to get it a little higher in the air. The jack "rolled" under the wood block, the car fell down and the saddle caught the oil pan. He replaced it with a new ZZ4 take-off pan and pump from SDPC, and gave me the old pan and new pump for $40. I banged it straight, painted, installed (including the ZZ4 baffle).