Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

factory roller cam, non roller block... questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004 | 07:34 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
factory roller cam, non roller block... questions.

ok.. i have the parts in hand here, and im missing somthing.

i have a few questions, mostly to do with the cam timing chain gear...

its a GM gear. obviously theres a gap if its just on the cam.. it needs somthing to keep it from letting the cam go too far back.

the "kit" i ordered from GM has two retention plates with it, one thick, one thin. both have inner holes are far too large to have a nice fit over the cam...

i have a thrust bearing... somtimes called a "block protector"
its also larger then the cam... however with it on the block, it takes up the slack between the block and cam gear.

can i just use the thrust bearing between the block and cam gear? it looks like it will work, and it feels smooth..... and it is about the same thickness as the plates.

two, i got the roller cam button that was reccomended to me from someone on here.

the problem is, the smaller bolt pattern of the factory roller cam doesnt allow the button to fit in it. ideas?

help
Old 06-22-2004 | 11:36 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: Z28
Engine: Sb2.2 406
Transmission: Jerico 4 speed
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" 3.60
MrDude, if this is in reference to the solid roller cam and the 400 block, this is the reason i offered it up for sale (or one of them).

I, like you, was faced with this task. I just opted to use the Isky i had. One possible solution i cane up was a needle torrington bearing and a Nylong cam button from Comp. I would then file down the nylon button until it fit. I don't know if it would work or not, as it was just a thought.
Old 06-23-2004 | 08:01 AM
Supreme Member

the torrington bearing does seem like it will work, its the right thickness and all.... but there is nothing holding it to the block... so i worry that gravity will let it touch the spinning cam, and it'll start cutting into the cam... theres nothing holding it to make it stay around the cam.

and as for the cam button.... its not going to work with the factory roller cam bolt pattern.

i think i might also get another cam... very annoying since this one is almost exactly the specs i want.
Old 06-29-2004 | 01:38 PM
Supreme Member

i got it to work

im running a Cloyes thrust bearing and a thin spacer between the cam gear and block.

a comp cams nylon (i assume its nylon) plastic cam button ive turned down on a lathe is used to keep the cam gear from moving forward.

the timing chain cover is a nice bowtie cast alum deal..

very frustrating and took a few days to work out, but i got it done.