Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Magnum TPI goes 13.00/103.3!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2000, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '76 Camaro, '94 Z28, '94 Corvette, '03 Mustang GT
Magnum TPI goes 13.00/103.3!!!

I took GMHTP project car Magnum TPI to Island Dragway on Friday night. It has a rebuilt Level 10 transmission, shift kit, and a Vigilante converter which were put in on Wednesday. With the Mickey Thompson ET Streets on, Magnum ran a best of 13.00/103.3 with a 1.77 60-ft. time.

I couldn't get it into the 12s though. It went 13.0 three times (13.01, 13.02, and 13.00) I'm thinking with a proper calibration in the ECM it will go a 12. (Kevin, are you out there?)

For the sake of reference: Before the TFS 23 degree heads, ACCEL base and runners, Extrude Honing and camshaft, the car ran a best of 14.18/95. That was with the SLP headers and exhaust too.

The Vigilante was the hot ticket for sure. Our best ET before was a 13.54 with a 2.05 60-ft.!

This long-runner TPI combo is going to work well into the 12s--WITH THE SMALL CAM AND LOW COMPRESSION! You guys wait and see.
Old 07-22-2000, 10:53 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.
Excellent, glad to hear it. When are we gonna see it in print? Did you at least get a chip since the last poast, or is that what you ran with a stock chip? Good luck, I'll be looking forward to the article!

------------------
If you have a problem,
If no-one else can help,
And if you can find them,
Maybe you can hire....
THE A-TEAM
Old 07-22-2000, 11:11 PM

Nice times man. I also can't wait to see it in print.

------------------
92 Trans Am/WS6/305/5Speed/T-Tops/K&N filter/Flowmaster Muffler/Ported Plenum/more mods to come.
------------------------
69 Camaro/427-currently undergoing restoration
Old 07-22-2000, 11:14 PM

The cam, heads, intake stuff will be in the November issue, the fuel pump swap will be in January, and the trans and converter will be in the March issue. You guys will of course know the results long before, but the details will have to wait. (I've got to sell SOME magazines you know!)

The chip in the car is the same one that has been in it the whole time: an ADS Superchips calibration for a stock motor. Maybe if Kevin Crane will give me a call, we can address this problem (hint, hint...)
Old 07-23-2000, 12:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congratulations, John! Nice progress and great times.

I'm also hoping to break into the 12's when I get my transmission replaced.

I would like to see you get that car on a Dynojet, along with a Diacom, and a chip burning wizard. Let's see what type of HP and TQ figures you can churn out. And just for fun, what kind of rpm's before it runs out of breath.

------------------
FORMULA 350 TK
Southern California 3rd Generation F-Body Organization©
Old 07-23-2000, 12:42 AM

Car: 1972 Corvette
A change in wind direction will put you in the 12s. Congrats on the times Johnny.

Now, what we all really want to know: How well did the 3rd gen issue sell, and can/will there be a annual 3rd gen issue like the GN issue?

Thanks,
Steven

------------------

'91 Z28 Blue/Silver ZZ4/ZF6
328.4 RWHP 363.5 RWTQ
Old 07-23-2000, 01:42 AM

Mini-Ram, Mini-Ram, Mini-Ram...How far will you take the car's performance? If you are happy with 12's or high 11's (yawn), fine. But if you are planning forced induction or cubes, you may as well get the good intake now...

------------------
1989 Formula 350, 10.5:1 383", TFS heads, Comp Cams blower grind, TPIS Mini-Ram, BBK 58mm throttle body, Vortech S-trim 15 psi, DFI, 42# injectors, S/X fuel system, MSD ignition, SLP 1.75" headers, Flowmaster exhaust, MW Racehouse 700R4, Currie 9" w/3.50 gears, Jeg's sfc's, Jeg's lca's, S&W 8-point rollbar, lookin' stock street racer...

Best ET: 10.796 @ 125.8 on 16" Sportsmans...
Old 07-23-2000, 10:04 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 84 SVO
Engine: Volvo headed 2.3T
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 8.8" 3.73
Hey ZBRA hows the tranny swap going?
Old 07-23-2000, 10:16 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 427 LSX
Transmission: Turbo 400
If I promise to buy all of the GMHP mags will you tell me the cam used in magnum TPI??
Is it an slp cam??
Custom programming???
Old 07-23-2000, 10:24 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 240 Likes on 195 Posts
Johnny,

Congratulations! After all the planning, mind-wrenching frustrations, and knuckle-busting hard work, your efforts seem to have paid off. Your formula for performance should not only sell magazines but gives hope to the many anxious ThirdGenners waiting to build toward a proven system. (Pretty headdy to break up the articles among volumes.)

Sounds like your converter got you into the "meat" of your power band through most of the run. Many people have remarked that the converter swap is the best single bang-for-buck modification they have done.

A little further tweaking and a good weather system should get you into the 12's. That's a nice 60' time, too!

Before you finish that last article, I would be curious to see something about the driveability of the car on a daily basis. Give us a hint of fuel economy, "quirks" that may make grocery-getting frustrating, and the handling mannerisms on the streets and highways. Many of us don't want to sacrifice reliabilty for performance. A little trade-off is acceptable, but building a weekend-only car isn't within the scope of many ThirdGenners.

Good luck.

Later,
Vader

------------------
"Make Me Bad"
Old 07-23-2000, 10:24 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 427 LSX
Transmission: Turbo 400
If I promise to buy all of the GMHP mags will you tell me the cam used in magnum TPI??
Is it an slp cam??
Custom programming???
Old 07-23-2000, 11:04 AM

Johnny,

Very nice, congrats. It looks like it will run well into the 12's while retaining the parts that make it streetable - so kudos for that are in order.

I'll be watching and reading as it evolves, but I'm sure you are doing a great service to the guys on this page right now.

Thanks !

BOR
Old 07-23-2000, 11:34 AM

Car: 87 trans am GTA
Engine: tesla permanent magnet
Transmission: 93 T-56
Axle/Gears: moser 12bolt w/ 3.73
i have an extra set of ported LB9 heads and an slp cam 480/490 that i'll probably put in my 91 along with my old converter and 3.23 gear that should wake up my old bird...i hope any how.

------------------
87GTA 355TPI,A4 shooting
for low 12'
Old 07-23-2000, 11:39 AM

Car: 87 trans am GTA
Engine: tesla permanent magnet
Transmission: 93 T-56
Axle/Gears: moser 12bolt w/ 3.73
i forgot to mention that i have a 91 5.oL TA as a daily driver that needs a little "motorvation"...hehe

------------------
87GTA 355TPI,A4 shooting
for low 12'
Old 07-23-2000, 05:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2005 Subaru STI
Engine: 153ci of Turbo Power!
Transmission: 6-Speed
Johnny,

I'm going to be the Devil's Advocate here. Heck, someone has to. The car can run much faster than that. Running 103.3mph with new heads, a camshaft, and the vigilante is no big deal. Once you're hitting 110mph then a bunch of us will really be impressed. Problem is - too many LT1 and LS1 guys are pulling 110 mph at the drag strip. I was running 102mph trap speeds WITH THE STOCK heads and stock camshaft on my 1990 IROC ... all naturally aspirated.

Dude - make the Magnum TPI engine SCREAM. Get rid of the long runner setup, drop in a PHAT camshaft, and watch your car scream. I was running 12.5s @ 108mph utilizing the long runner setup with AS&M Semi-Siamesed LTRs (the best flowing long runner setup on the market). I've installed a MiniRam II and am in the process of saving for Hooker Long Tube headers and Mufflex 3-1/2 exhaust. I'm gunning for 11's NA on the stock bottom end. I'll probably have to swap out the current cam (218/224 Xtreme) for a 224/230 Xtreme and then take advantage of the PI Vig free stall change (currently 2800 - will switch to 3200).

I know that I am getting a little bit aggressive in my older age with how I post on this board. But, heck, I deserve too. The newbies won't know this but I was on this board when it was run by Jeff Wolf on a college server ... 4 years ago or so. I've seen a bunch in my time (even though I am only 28). I mean no disrespect ... but in this era of LS1's and modded LT1's ... you need to run some really quick times to truly BE FAST. Its rather easy to impress the 3rd gen crowd because all of us are 3rd gen owners and are therefore usually slower than the LT1s and LS1s. IT MUST BE FASTER THAN A NEW F-BODY WITH EXHAUST AND COLD AIR NATURALLY ASPIRATED. That's it.

Check out my page. BTW - I custom burn chips too. You should get together with Kevin, or me, or someone and learn to burn your own chips. Its very very easy. In fact, you should write an article on it. If you need any advice let me know. I really really want to see this car move.

ITS TIME FOR THE 3RD GEN TO GET ITS RESPECT AMONG *ALL* CROWDS ... NOT JUST THE 3RD GEN CROWD.

Tim

------------------
TRAXION's 1990 IROC-Z
Best Time = 12.587 @ 107.97mph (1.710 60ftr)
All Natural. No Force. No Drugs. Stock Bottom End.
Gunning for NA 11's with the MiniRam II and Hooker LT Headers.
Old 07-23-2000, 06:58 PM

Johnny,

This is somewhat unrelated, but I must ask you about one of your staff writers named Jay Heath.

What is he trying to prove? He writes articles using some very "big" words that I've never heard of before and makes reading his articles very difficult. Here is a quote from this month's issue: "Part throttle acceleration was also enhanced, allowing the torque-laden T/A to pull away from stoplights and dilatory clots of traffic with impressive celerity on the street". WHAT?? "dilatory clots", "impressive celerity"?? Other quotes from the same article are "....are we the only ones who appreciate the mirth that can be gleaned from the plight of an avowedly religious university...." Uh, ok.

Now, I'm no english professor, but who uses words like that when tailoring to the average gear head in a car magazine? I consider myself a very intelligent person, but I found myself reading other articles and flipping back to the start just to confirm that Jay was once again the author of this mumbo jumbo verbage.

I just have to ask why this guy is trying to impress himself. Is it his real intention to prepare an ongoing resume for a future at Car and Driver magazine? They use some pretty "big" words too.

You, on the other hand, write with easy flowing sentences and take excellent pictures in every issue. Other than Jay's "big" words, I think your magazine is the best. Could you please ask him to tone it down? Thanks!
Old 07-23-2000, 07:06 PM

I totaly agree with traxion that 103 is pretty wimpy. Just get a mr or sr and be done with it. I will give you credit on that et though. I have yet to get back to the track but the best i could do was 13.10@110mph and i drive this car every day. I think we need some na 350s hitting 115mph and get that respect and i will be one of them as soon as i can save up some more $$. Theres nothing like beating a viper rt/10 with your iroc and the gts are soon to follow.

Traxion hows that mr working on your car we seem to be at the same level of performance, you with a mr and me with a sr
Old 07-23-2000, 07:42 PM
Supreme Member

Superiroc,

I'm loving the MiniRam more and more :-)

Initial track times were crappy due to not tuning the PROM, running the stock 22lb injectors, and running in excessively hot and humid weather. Just slapping in the 24lbers and starting the tuning made a world of difference. When I run the car at the track after tuning it, you can bet I'll post some times. Only problem is - My setup is 'out of balance' right now. I'll admit it :-) The MiniRam is meant for serious HP in the upper RPMs and I *NEED* an exhaust that will flow at the upper RPMs. These shorty SLP 1-5/8" just don't cut it.

All I have to say is torque 'ain't nuthin' unless you can really plant it. Heck, I can't even plant all the torque that my MiniRam makes :-) and I have Drag Radials, SSPE Torque arm (-4º), LCA relocation brackets, Spherical bearing LCAs and panhard rod, Air Bags in rear springs, yada-yada-yada.

AGAIN: The third gens need respect amongst all F-bodies .... not just the 3rd gens. In order to have this respect then our cars must be AT THE VERY LEAST as fast as a new F-Body off the showroom floor. I take it a step further and say at least as fast as a new F-body + cold air + free mods + catback. Every true performance F-Dude and Dudette installs cold air, a catback, and does the free mods. So, if you want respect then you need to be as fast as a stock LS1 with free mods, cold air, and catback.

Tim

------------------
TRAXION's 1990 IROC-Z
Old 07-23-2000, 08:00 PM

traxion

I put on the 3.5 mufflex and had my brother bend a 2.5 y-pipe to use with my full lengh hedman headers. I think this made a huge difference I also did the sr and svo at the same time. I still need to get a 52tb and alloy driveshaft. I also run a ads chip with stock timing. I read up on your readings with your fuel pressure, I'am still learning about that and need to get something so that i can read my voltage. Do you think a custom chip could give me some more hp. I want to hit 115 at my track by the end of the season thats like 118 at any other decent track. I just ordered my 315-35-17 drag radials and brackets to drop my conrol arms down and hopefully a spohn torque arm soon. I used a wc t-5 speed and ran 4 times on my pep-boyz tires with horrible tire spin and got a bad ET but great mph 110
Old 07-23-2000, 09:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1984 LG4 Camaro
Engine: 350 Roller Motor
Transmission: Level 10 700R4
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42
Oh boy!

I thought when I saw the Magnum TPI at Hi-Tech 2 weeks ago it just had bolt-ons and ran the 13.5 at 101, not heads and a cam too. I am defintely disapointed with even the 13.0 at only 103mph run (I am sorta impressed with the 1.77s 60ft though).

I defintely agree with Traxion that there is no excuse for such parts only running those times in a magazine project car, it should be running at least 105-106mph with some problems, closer to 110 if done right.

I also remember the U of M board and how it developed into thirdgen.org.

------------------
Paul Huryk, billionare in training.
Monkey Guy Racing
Almost part of the moderately infamous NJ in-your-face all goomba crew

Do it right the first time.

Paul's home page

1985 IROC LG4 POS Best: 15.20s at 92.1mph
1984 Camaro 350 LG4 Best: 12.21s at 121.7mph

The smart person pays for something today so that more is received tomorrow.
The ignorant person gets something today and hopes to have enough money to pay for it tomorrow.
Old 07-23-2000, 09:58 PM

SWEET. Honestly, a little wind going in the car's favor probably would put you into the 12's.
Old 07-23-2000, 10:13 PM
TTA
Banned

Originally posted by TRAXION:
Johnny,

I'm going to be the Devil's Advocate here. Heck, someone has to. The car can run much faster than that. Running 103.3mph with new heads, a camshaft, and the vigilante is no big deal. Once you're hitting 110mph then a bunch of us will really be impressed. Problem is - too many LT1 and LS1 guys are pulling 110 mph at the drag strip. I was running 102mph trap speeds WITH THE STOCK heads and stock camshaft on my 1990 IROC ... all naturally aspirated.
I agree with you. 103mph is nothing. The TPI setup is a Dog and I give you guys that can make it run "High 5s"

Is anyone or has anyone even run 110-115mph N/A with a TPI setup??

------------------
Mike
1989 Turbo Trans-Am
11.42@119
Old 07-23-2000, 10:21 PM

Car: 89 IROC
Engine: Yes
Transmission: That, too.
Trax.ion, I am a little surprised that you're still running the 1-5/8 headers. I say that because when I was searching for proven combos, you strongly recommended that the 1-5/8 headers were not sufficient for these power levels. As a result, the 1-3/4 SLPs were one of my first purchases. Yup, they shore look purty sitting on the floor of the ol' garage out there. I won't install them until I do the head swap, but I couldn't pass up a good price on a GP opportunity.

I've been telling Johnny H. my thoughts before on the Magnum TPI plan, but I figure that talk is cheap (my talk, not Johnny's), and until I can back up my thoughts with proven performance I'd better just shut up.
Old 07-23-2000, 10:27 PM

There is nothing magical about running a magazine. Many editors would have you believe they were born with a degree in automotive engineering, but the truth about me is that I'm just like you guys. I see stuff I'm interested in, I bolt it on, and I try it. If the stuff doesn't work to my expectations, I don't just throw it away and get all new stuff (like another intake and cam), I work with it until I know as much as I can.

I hope I didn't give anyone the impression that this car is somehow all sorted out! There's a whole lot more in this thing I'm sure (as I said before).

The equipment we've got could very well push this car to 115 mph NA, only it would have to be at a lot higher compression (around 11.5:1 on pump gas) and with a fresh short-block. We're running 9:1 compression in anticipation of putting a blower on, so at 3 percent for every point in compression we're leaving almost 30 hp on the table by my figuring. We'll get it all back later though with the blower.

Then there's the programming issue. The calibration is way off. We will be burning a chip for this combo. I don't know if it will be soon or not, but when we do it--it will be right. I think it would be reasonable to get another 15-20 hp from this alone.

As far as gaining respect from LS1 and LT1 owners, I say let the cards fall where they may. Each car gets the respect it deserves, nothing more nothing less. These cars were down on power from the start, so it's nothing to be embarrassed about. For what it's worth, Magnum TPI is comfortable, economical (for a performance car), good looking, and relatively fast. I enjoy it as much as either of my 11-second cars and much more than I did my 10-second Mustang. It's built better than my '93 Formula too. I'm in no hurry to screw up a perfectly good car--we'll get to that in good time!

On Jay Heath. What can I say about Jay? He's a terrific guy and a great friend. His writing is humorous (to me at least). I don't understand all the words he uses either, so I grab a dictionary and learn them. Once I find out what they mean, it usually makes the story funnier. Jay is not the least bit arrogant or snooty though. If you knew him you would know that he's very self depricating and humble. Jay is a writer, and it is his job to use words, much like a mechanic uses tools. Please, don't feel insulted or patronized by his writing, it's not meant that way. Anyway, how can one possibly complain about the correct use of the English language? Maybe we can throw the joke back on him this way: When I get another story from him, I'll make a list of the obscure words and turn it into a tongue-in-cheek glossary at the end of the magazine. Here's some Jay Heath trivia for you: Did you know that Jay was a prison guard while he was getting his graduate degree from the University of South Carolina? He also plays heavy metal guitar and lifts weights which makes him very cool in my book (I do too, but not nearly as well on either count).

BTW: Jay is leaving GMHTP to become editor of another non-GM magazine. I will be in need of some freelancers who can write. (Jay's vocabulary is not a requirement though!)
Old 07-23-2000, 11:20 PM

Car: 1972 Corvette
What about this?
Now, what we all really want to know: How well did the 3rd gen issue sell, and can/will there be a annual 3rd gen issue like the GN issue?
Old 07-24-2000, 12:42 AM

Is anyone or has anyone even run 110-115mph N/A with a TPI setup??
Kevin91Z is VERY close to that. Not a radical cam, vette heads, ported plenum and I think base too. IIRC his last run was 107MPH.

On another note, my dads Grand Prix has a 350 with an untouched TPI manifold and I'm confident it will run that or better when I'm all done with it. I dont have a track slip, but I've run a G-tech and hit consistent 116-117's with it.
Old 07-24-2000, 12:54 AM
TTA
Banned

Originally posted by Johnny Hunkins:

The equipment we've got could very well push this car to 115 mph NA, only it would have to be at a lot higher compression (around 11.5:1 on pump gas) and with a fresh short-block. We're running 9:1 compression in anticipation of putting a blower on, so at 3 percent for every point in compression we're leaving almost 30 hp on the table by my figuring. though!)
Not to try and start anything, but 11:5:1 is hardly streetable with pumpgas, unless you retard the timing enough.. But whats the point...

Also, 30hp is not going to bring you up to 110mph from 103, But you Knew That

------------------
Mike
1989 Turbo Trans-Am
11.42@119

[This message has been edited by TTA (edited July 23, 2000).]
Old 07-24-2000, 02:32 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73
Originally posted by madmax:
Kevin91Z is VERY close to that. Not a radical cam, vette heads, ported plenum and I think base too. IIRC his last run was 107MPH.
Yes, very close... If Johnny can run 13.00 at 103, then with my 13.25 @ 107, I should be in the 12's if I can hook. Or Johnny car has a lot more torque than I do. I have a ZZ4 cam, ported ZZ4 heads, ported plenum, ported base, TPIS 52mm TB, SLP 1 5/8" headers, and flowmaster 3" cat-back. I am putting on SLP 1 3/4" headers, TPIS base, and TPIS runners sometime in the next two months. Then I hope to run in the 12's at 110 or higher MPH.

What were the HP/TQ figures on this car? I think the setup being optimized for a blower is what is hurting the car right now. 10-10.5 compression would make a lot of difference.

------------------
1991 Camaro Z28
5.7L 5-Speed
13.25 @ 107.18 MPH
Southern California
Member: SoCal 3rd Gen F-Bodies
Webmaster: SoCal F-Bodies
Webmaster: ICON Motorsports
Old 07-24-2000, 08:23 AM
Supreme Member

Dale,

A LONG long time ago when the SLP headers were $600 a set I found a set of used 1-5/8" for $200 from Kevin G. That deal was hard to pass up. I definitely got my $200 out of them but now its time to do it right. I'm glad that I didn't buy the SLP 1-3/4" headers new ... especially since I want to go to long tube 1-3/4" headers.

------------------
TRAXION's 1990 IROC-Z
Old 07-24-2000, 08:29 AM
Supreme Member

WOW!

I just wanted to say that I fully expected everyone to flame me on this post. I didn't expect so many people to come back and agree with what I said. Thanks for the support on my thoughts/experiences. Sounds like the 3rd gen crowd is actually beginning to see the light.

When it comes down to it, we all want the same thing - To be fast amongst all cars. The 3rd gens are VERY amenable to modifications. They are the best of all worlds. You can run a long runner setup, a semi-long runner setup, a mid-runner setup, or a short runner setup. How many cars can you do that with? :-)

Again - thanks for the intelligent posts. It is also good to see some of the 'ol timers post along with me (even though we're not old). Heh - experience tells the story.

Tim

------------------
TRAXION's 1990 IROC-Z
Old 07-24-2000, 11:45 AM

I think a na350 can hit 115mph. I have yet to touch my fuel pressure, timing and drag radials and i still need a 52tb and alloy driveshaft. I ran 13.10@110 twice in a row letting of in second both times. I did this on a hot 85 humid day with z-rated tires. I know i can hit 115 at a good track unlike mine were ls-1 never go faster than 101mph period. My car is driven every day and has 9:5:1 cr and i still have a ads chip not a custom prom. I think we can do 115 it just takes a good combo or luck. I do run stock TFW heads and a super ram and a 5 speed. I can't wait untill bristal in october then i can prove it. I hope at bristal we can show that l-98 can compete at the same level as an lt-1 or ls-1
Old 07-24-2000, 11:48 AM

Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: 645hp/656 ft lb Blown 383
Transmission: 700-R4 3,000 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.55 moser 12-bolt
I too have TFS and superam, w/ 9.3 compression. But, Unfortunately, all I can get is 104 mph best. I think somethings wrong. Anybody who cares to take a stab at it, go to the tech board and check out my strange track times post. Thanks

------------------
Justin 87 GTA--organizer: "NY2K" Gathering. Blk/Gld w/Superam, 355cid Trickflows, forged pistons 9.5:1. Auto 2,600 stall, 3.45 9 bolt disc, Best time & mph 13.567 @ 101.900 w/ a poor 60ft. Best mph: 104.3 *This car is 100% NYS emissions legal, w/ all emissions controls!* "If you want to have a fast car, hang out w/ those who do!"
http:// www.community.webtv.net/munks87/JustinsGTApage.com
Old 07-24-2000, 01:52 PM

Location: Boulder, Colorado, United States of America the proudest country in the worldn
my car has an iron duke 4 cylinder and will beat any big block in the world.

[This message has been edited by brad7767 (edited July 24, 2000).]
Old 07-24-2000, 06:01 PM

IMHO, all you guys asking to see a MR on this motor are just showing a latent desire to have an LT1 in your 3rd gen. What's the point? Just get an LT1 and be done with it....

3rd gens ARE TPI, always were, always will be. L98 is TPI, always was, always will be. Deal with it.

The TPIS miniram and the LT1 intake are virtually one in the same.

I for one want to see how far this car will go with an L98 TPI engine in it, as it came with. If I want to see an LT1 in a 3rd gen, I will go look at readers pages.....

------------------
FORMULA 350 TK
Old 07-24-2000, 06:13 PM

Car: 89 IROC
Engine: Yes
Transmission: That, too.
Tom, that's why I am refraining from following the MR crowd. Many people tell me that the MR is the way to go to get big HP numbers, but I like my motor as a TPI, and plan to keep it that way. My personal goal is to see just how far I can take a long runner TPI system. No Mini-ram, no super ram, and naturally aspirated.

Plus, if most of the really fast thirdgens out there are sporting either a supercharger, nitrous, or an LT1 intake, my car will become a sleeper by comparison. Pop the hood.... "Oh. It's only a TPI."

Bing! Got 'em!

My Edelbrock base just got delivered by the UPS woman. Yay! Time to start porting!
Old 07-24-2000, 06:23 PM

C'mon, Tom! "...a latent desire to have an LT1"? How about a desire to go fast?

1) The Mini-Ram was here first.
2) Opti-Spark blows, no changing that.
3) Limited choices for heads.
4) No strong aftermarket blocks.
5) OBD blows chunks.
6) No ported LT1 intake outperforms the Mini-Ram, no matter how much they LOOK alike.
7) I'll change 5 sets of spark plugs before you can change 1 set of LT1's.
8) Nice car, Tom...too bad it's so slow with that factory TPI setup!

------------------
1989 Formula 350, 10.5:1 383", TFS heads, Comp Cams blower grind, TPIS Mini-Ram, BBK 58mm throttle body, Vortech S-trim 15 psi, DFI, 42# injectors, S/X fuel system, MSD ignition, SLP 1.75" headers, Flowmaster exhaust, MW Racehouse 700R4, Currie 9" w/3.50 gears, Jeg's sfc's, Jeg's lca's, S&W 8-point rollbar, lookin' stock street racer...

Old 07-24-2000, 07:48 PM

Point well taken, GMIFast.

I still believe 3rd gens and TPI belong together.

And, I bet if my car had exactly the same equipment as yours, minus the MR and with my TPI and weighed the same, it would be fast too.

------------------
FORMULA 350 TK
Old 07-24-2000, 09:24 PM

Just to put things into perspecitve for all the TPI naysayers:

Preston Smith is going 9.90s with a full-weight 305 TPI and a T-trim.

Yes, you read right, a 305...

I don't think it serves any constructive purpose to put down LT1 or LS1 cars. BTW, my 396 LT1 has 11.9:1 compression and runs all day long on 92 octane. 11.5:1 is well within limits for an aluminum-headed L98 on pump gas or any other V8 OHV engine for that matter.
Old 07-24-2000, 09:33 PM

Car: 86 IROC-Z
Engine: Superramed 355 w/ intercooled T72
Transmission: T56 -=- www.iroc-ss.com
Oh i jsut love the battles. Keep up the good work Johnny. Im following your progress with great interest... mainly because there arent many setups with TFS 23*'s... Im still tyring to get mine rolling, so many setbacks. Just tore it apart tonight to send 2 injectors off for checking...
Old 07-24-2000, 10:03 PM

BTW, long live the iron duke!
Old 07-24-2000, 10:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1984 LG4 Camaro
Engine: 350 Roller Motor
Transmission: Level 10 700R4
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42
A few things:

Stock-type TPI setups with big runners, baseplates, and big TB can be fast, but they also cannot support high rpm power-but you knew that already.

A strong 350 can definitely put out 420hp in emissions legal trim, but not any backyard monkey can do it-there are too many sub 300hp 350's out there that have too much work in them to be that slow. If you can't get a thirdgen into the low 12's with a decent 350, then you better pay someone who can do it for you.

Compression ratios can push 11:1 easy using pump gas, aluminum heads, and engine coating. Keep in mind LT1 cars can run higher compression because the heads are cooled first, in the L98, they are cooled last.

------------------
Paul Huryk, billionare in training.
Monkey Guy Racing
Almost part of the moderately infamous NJ in-your-face all goomba crew

Do it right the first time.

Paul's home page

1985 IROC LG4 POS Best: 15.20s at 92.1mph
1984 Camaro 350 LG4 Best: 12.21s at 121.7mph

The smart person pays for something today so that more is received tomorrow.
The ignorant person gets something today and hopes to have enough money to pay for it tomorrow.
Old 07-24-2000, 10:24 PM

Johnny, you guys did a feature on Jerry Hogan's '88 GTA a few years back. I believe he was at Cordova Dragway running 10.20's. Just to update that, Jerry's ASSC Racing-tuned ride has gone 9.70's with:

355"
factory-style 305" TPI
GM heads
crappy 1 5/8" headers
unintercooled T-trim w/6-rib pulleys
a little giggle juice
DFI
83# injectors
3.50 gears
large *********...

I swear, man, this car DEFIES the laws of physics. Couldn't belong to a nicer 58-year-old man, either!

------------------

Old 07-24-2000, 10:48 PM
TTA
Banned

Originally posted by Johnny Hunkins:
[B]Just to put things into perspecitve for all the TPI naysayers:

Preston Smith is going 9.90s with a full-weight 305 TPI and a T-trim.

Yes, you read right, a 305...

B]
WRONG!!!!!! You Info is Outdated. I saw the car yesterday. Can you Say T76?

He was running 11.1@121 on Friday night with 11psi and Pumpgas with the car so rich the 02 Volts were pegged. Wait till it goes up to 25psi!

Greatest quote I ever heard from him "Going from a Supercharger to a Turbo is like going from a Carb to Fuel Injection"

Although your right in the fact that he went 9.95 With a 305 and Blower. Wait till you see what the Turbo does The Setup is Trick. It looks like the Factory put it there.

------------------
Mike
1989 Turbo Trans-Am
11.42@119
Old 07-24-2000, 10:50 PM
Supreme Member

Tom,

There's nothing about 'latent desire' involved anywhere ... but, you knew that. You just wanted to get your 'poke' in. I respect that. Truth is - its all about going fast AND what you like. Some people do not want to sacrifice the 'looks' of the TPI. Some people don't want to sacrifice the 'originality' of the 3rd gen TPI. Some people get hard off of being the underdog. Whatever floats your boat. But, point for point -

If you are concerned with all out speed then a shorter runner intake is the only way to do it naturally aspirated. But, c'mon, as Paul Huryk already said - you already knew that.

The big question then becomes why do you and others keep the long runner setup? Is it for...
- the originality?
- the beauty? (TPIs are the best looking intakes out there IMHO)
- you like being the underdog (sleeper approach ... naaaa can't be that with the 17" ROHs on there)

I'm concerned with NA speed the most. Second comes being the underdog.
Third is beauty.
I don't care about originality.

Nobody ever gets a look under my hood on the street - all they see is the stock IROC outer trim (sleeper approach). The only possible giveaway is the drag radials. I keep the engine and car clean and looking good (that's where the beauty comes from).

Tim

------------------
TRAXION's 1990 IROC-Z
Old 07-24-2000, 11:30 PM

What kind of blower are you leaning towards, and how much boost? If you are going to use the factory tpi thats just fine but you better put a blower on there so we can see that thing fly. What kind of performance does your lt-1 put out, its not that thunder chicken is it, that car rocks how fast does it go in the 1/4?
Old 07-24-2000, 11:58 PM

Hey Traxion, whats your altitude? My local track is 1000', and I'm running 107.1 MPH on a ported stock TPI intake, and you're running 107.9 MPH on a Miniram. You have AFR heads, I have ported L98 aluminum heads. Somethings not right. According to you, your short-runner miniram should be kicking my long runner stock TPI's *** . What gives?

------------------
1991 Camaro Z28
5.7L 5-Speed
13.25 @ 107.18 MPH
Southern California
Member: SoCal 3rd Gen F-Bodies
Webmaster: SoCal F-Bodies
Webmaster: ICON Motorsports

[This message has been edited by Kevin91Z (edited July 24, 2000).]
Old 07-24-2000, 11:59 PM

Double post.

[This message has been edited by Kevin91Z (edited July 24, 2000).]
Old 07-25-2000, 02:18 AM

I beg to differ that a TPI wont support high RPM's or HP. When I have my testing complete, I will let the cat outa the bag... maybe...
So far though from initial testing, its not looking good for the naysayers.
Old 07-25-2000, 07:10 AM
Supreme Member

Kevin -

I haven't run my Mini at the track as needed.

Tim

------------------
TRAXION's 1990 IROC-Z
Old 07-25-2000, 11:51 AM

Thunderchicken is my car, it has gone 11.94/117 (1.70 60 ft.) with ET Streets, pump gas and a road race suspension (3675 lbs. w/driver).

Magnum is shifting at 5100 rpm, but who knows, maybe it'll go faster with a higher shift? If you think it can, I can get the governor modified for a higher shift point.

Quick Reply: Magnum TPI goes 13.00/103.3!!!