Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

fuel pump troubles

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2001, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel pump troubles

second week in a row i manage to break something else but i need your advice or someones knowledge to make sure i fix the right stuff..
while changing my spark plugs i found a stray wire on the passenger side.. asked my step dad about it he put it on the starter didnt help my car.. my car wouldnt turn over anymore it cranks but doesnt turn over..
when i ground this wire out you can hear a clicking from the fuel pump relay. did we fry the fuel pump relay? you cant hear my fuel pump turn on at all anymore. i cant find a fuse anywhere my ecm fuse is good so i am wondering is it the fuel pump relay..oh yeah when ever i ground tat wire thats the ONLY time the fan will work..
Thanks Shawn

------------------
91 RS 5.0 TBI
14x3 open element.. i liked alot
160*stat... made my car run a lil cooler
msd coil and taylor wires ...not noticed
with split fire plugs... which suck switching to rapid fires soon..
removed rear hood seal.. runs much cooler i liked
accel cap and rotor... coming soon
coming soon 3.42's with slp posi.. my first big mod!!!

Clarion cd player 2 planet audio 6x9's 2 lanzar tweeters and one MTX 10" sub in a bandpass all running off 2 separate 200w amps
Old 03-30-2001, 03:11 AM

^
Old 03-31-2001, 02:39 AM

Car: 1988 Firebird
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
I think your F/P relay is supposed to click. I think the click is the switch switching inside of the relay. Mine always clicks when i turn the key(not to crank the engine). Maybe it is the relay still or just an open in the F/P circuit. Check to see if your getting around 12.6v at the F/P connector toward the front of your fuel tank when the key is turned. It should show around 12v for about 2 secs after the key is turned. If you do get a voltage then it may be your F/P. Hope this helps
Old 03-31-2001, 10:04 AM

i took it to the shop yesterday i was fustrated and that is my daily driver so i need it fast. well they say it is the fuel pump.. the clicking was actually coming from my fan relay and not the fuel pump relay but when i changed the relay i still got nothing .. leave it to the pros i should get it by 12noon today.
Shawn