Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Anybody see a problem so far?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: L03
Transmission: 5-SPD
Anybody see a problem so far?

Working up a rebuild/upgrade kit for my lil L03.. Here's what I've got so far. Will have the block bored 30 over and crank whatever you call it.. brain not working atm. Am planning on putting some 081 (305 tpi heads?) pnp of course and milled for a staight 9.5 to 1 CR.. pnp edelbrock tpi base, AS&M SS runners, stock pnp plenum.. not sure on TB yet tho. New fuel pump and injectors, and a dyno tune. Lastly a felpro full gasket set that I need my book for to get number. Thats about all I can think of. Now for the long list of parts.

Exhaust:
EDELBROCK POLISHED 304 STINLESS STEEL EXHAUST TIP - ROUND INTERCOOLED 2 1/2" INLET ED5595
Price: 28.95
Camaro/Firebird 86-92 5.0/5.7L single cat., 2-3/4" stock I-pipe 3" in - dual 2-1/2" out #5672
Price: $255
ACS - Hooker 2055 Headers: $509.00 + $50.00 to coat the y-pipe and $60.00 to reverse the AIR tubes and $18.00 for the o2 bung.
Price: $637

Engine Rebuild:
KB Pistons, Hypereutectic, 3.766 Bore, 2-5/64,1-3/16 Rings, 12cc D-Cup, Set of 8 - Summit
Item: UEM-KB145030-8
Price: $273.39
Sealed Power Chromemoly, 3.766 in. bore, 5/64 in. top/second rings, 3/16 in. oil control ring, piston ring set - Summit
Item: SLP-E-356K030
Price: $40.39
KB Wrist Pin Wrist Pin, Light Weight (Each) - Summit
Item: UEM-927X300K
Price: $3.99
Federal Mogul Main Bearing Sets Chevrolet: 305-350, .010 in. oversize, tri-metal copper-lead, main bearing set - Summit
Item: FEM-4663M10
Price: $18.95
Federal Mogul Cam Bearings Chevrolet: 283-400 - Summit
Item: FEM-1235M
Price: $15.95
Federal Mogul Connecting Rod Bearings Chevrolet: 305-400, .010 in. oversize, tri-metal copper-lead, connecting rod bearing (Each) - Summit
Item: FEM-2555CP10
Price: $3.39
Sealed Power Chevrolet: 262-350, brass freeze plug kit - Summit
Item: SLP-381-8007
Price: $7.39
LT4 Production Cam Camshaft - Pace Performance
This is an LT4 production cam 1996. The duration at .050" tappet lift (intake/exhaust) is 203/210; and maximum lift with 1.6 rocker ratio (intake/exhaust) is 476/480. Valve lash is zero/zero and lobe centerline is 115 degrees. This is a hydraulic roller camshaft.
Item: 12551142
Price: $195.95
Roller Lifter Kit - Pace Performance
This roller lfter kit is used on all late models V8 blocks 1986 and newer. Thses second design lifters are used in late model 3 50 HO engines and use a higher checkball spring preload.This kit includes 16 of P/N 17120735 roller lifters 8 of P/N 12550002 valve lifter quides one of P/N 14101116 valve lifter guide retainers 4 of P/N 24501365 retainer bolts and 4 of P/N 120386 retainer washers.
Item: 12371042
Price: $216.82

Probably missing alot more.. but dont recall them atm. oh yeah.. rear end, suspension, and trans will be left for another day lol
Old 05-31-2004, 08:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 87' IROC
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
Can you tell me where you saw the edelbrock catback for $255?
Anyway, the parts look good except i would prolly go with a larger cam. Also what is the rest of your valve train? You should go with screw in rocker studs and appropriate springs.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '89 IROC-Z
Engine: Canfield 195 headed 358ci
Transmission: TH350, Art Carr 9.5"
Axle/Gears: 3.92 Dana 44
The only problem I see is that you're doing all this work and in the end you'll still have a weeny 305. Same effort and money (maybe less money) and you could have a 350
Old 05-31-2004, 09:14 PM

Still researching the valve train stuff, its kinda out of my range of expertise. Leaning towards some new hardened pushrods, some kind of duel springs.. just dunno squat about size of them and whatnot.

As far as the larger cam goes.. I'm not looking for any real power out of the thing. just a fun car for the street, and not rip my t5 apart to badly.. gonna have gforce or whoever it is do their thing with mine. and a 3.42 posi rear. Still needa do some clutch research.. the one in this car is way to stiff for my taste.

I put the Edel 5672 catback on my previous 91 and I tell ya.. I love the sound with headers and no cat heh. The shop I work at has an account with a perf parts warehouse like summit that we get discounted costs on parts. Dunno if I'm supposed to say their name or not tho, so I wont for the time being.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:24 PM

88IROC350TPI,

I really considered that.. however I'm really into using what I have and am bent on keeping with the way GM made these cars to begin with. No L98 ever came attached to a T5. Thus I dont want to make it one afterwards. I'm also making my RS into an Iroc clone, I think they are the best looking cars.. :hail:
Old 06-01-2004, 01:51 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: Z28
Engine: Sb2.2 406
Transmission: Jerico 4 speed
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" 3.60
If you are staying with a 305, an LT1 or a LT4 cam is just fine.

It sounds as if all original is what you are after. But let me ask you this: If all orignal is what you are after, why are you upgrading the cam and swapping to an IROC clone? Thats not what GM intended of the RS.

Im expecting RB with his price vs. outcome lecture any moment now...
Old 06-01-2004, 09:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
Anybody who's planning an engine build-up and lists exhaust tips at the very top of his list, and then puts dished pistons in a 305 and thinks he's going to end up with 9.anything compression, doesn't want to hear anything I have to say on the subject. Trust me on that.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:46 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.
You're at what, $1600-$1700. Did you include machine work? Add that in and see where you are at. Than take a peek at some of the shortblock combo's from GM, RHS, etc. Oh yea take a peek at the 350 prices. Maybe even the 383 prices.

I'd also think on finding used parts for the induction in order for you to save some money. I got My AS&M LTRs for under $300 and same with my Big Mouth base.

If you are building it to be concours (sic?) correct why do this then? If you're building it to have fun, build it into something you won't regret later. GM never put a 454 in one of these things either but, money & time permitting, I'd jump at the chance to drop one in.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '89 IROC-Z
Engine: Canfield 195 headed 358ci
Transmission: TH350, Art Carr 9.5"
Axle/Gears: 3.92 Dana 44
Originally posted by Coop91SRS
88IROC350TPI,

I really considered that.. however I'm really into using what I have and am bent on keeping with the way GM made these cars to begin with. No L98 ever came attached to a T5. Thus I dont want to make it one afterwards. I'm also making my RS into an Iroc clone, I think they are the best looking cars.. :hail:
No RS ever came from the factory as an IROC so you better not do that, ya know. If you're all about doing whats done from the factory and all.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:33 PM

Well at least I learned one thing.. the boards havent changed in the last couple years.

I beg your forgiveness, RB.. I had no idea that what was at the top of the list makes the entire post unworthy of your time. How about you use your "vast expertise" to help somebody? Doh, forgot.. you're above all the peons and can only insult them.. my bad

Thanks for being helpful... need a sarcasm smiley

Lastly.. its my car.. I will do whatever I feel like doing to it; and thats that. So what if I'm schizophrenic and my thoughts and ideas dont always make sense? I'm glad you're perfect. But if I wanna make my 91RS into a 90 Iroc with a 305tpi and t5 and paint it yellow with pink stripes.. so what? You dont have to drive it or read any of my posts even. No need to make fun of people.. Just a thought.

Last edited by Coop91SRS; 06-01-2004 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:22 PM
Supreme Member

Well at least I learned one thing.. the boards havent changed in the last couple years.
Actually they have. You weren’t the only one to leave, nor come back. Does this make you special? No. Does this mean your memory is bad? Probably, because I know my account was still here when I came back.

I beg your forgiveness, RB.. I had no idea that what was at the top of the list makes the entire post unworthy of your time. How about you use your "vast expertise" to help somebody? Doh, forgot.. you're above all the peons and can only insult them.. my bad
Uh-huh. Well, considering the large number of members on the site and the fact that each member has a personality, you would expect to not get along with some, yes? Just because you don’t like his style doesn’t mean you have to attack him. That you came back and edited your post to specify RB, is worse than the original post. If you know RB and his sense of humor, you should have blown it off or giggled if you knew the context.

You asked for the advice, RB answered the way he did because someone else had a hissey fit similar to yours after receiving the advice they had asked for.

And I do sincerely hope you expected some razz for having listed the exhaust tips first. Only on ric*r boards would they typically do that. Or maybe right after the list of stickers.

Thanks for being helpful... need a sarcasm smiley
Hey, I don’t mind a good giggle now and then. And you can use the razz if you need.

Lastly.. its my car.. I will do whatever I feel like doing to it; and thats that. So what if I'm schizophrenic and my thoughts and ideas dont always make sense? I'm glad you're perfect. But if I wanna make my 91RS into a 90 Iroc with a 305tpi and t5 and paint it yellow with pink stripes.. so what? You dont have to drive it or read any of my posts even. No need to make fun of people.. Just a thought.
And now we come to the reason why I took the time to dissect your verbal shenanigans. How do you ever expect to defend yourself when you are the topic starter?

It’s your car, yes. Do whatever you want to it, smoke crack in it, pimp out in it, sell drugs out of it, have sex with it, put big *** ‘R’ stickers on it, shoot it full of holes, put an iron duke in it, whatever. Do whatever you like, but don’t come in here asking for advice and then acting like a f*cking teenage neophyte who just lost his girlfriend to the neighbor’s dog. It’s kind of annoying.

You asked, we didn’t. Doesn’t mean you’ll like the answers, doesn’t mean you can control what people post up, doesn’t mean you get to keep the thread either in some cases. You will get a response as specific as you asked for. You did not limit it in any way, you just asked ‘Anybody see a problem so far?’ RB answered in a humorous way. To me anyway.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:38 PM

If I still had access to the original email address of my original name.. I'd still be using it. But since I dont remember it or my original password.. kinda hard to do no?

No I dont expect to get along with anybody.. nobody really does like me. Not my point. I was not rude in my post or anything of the sort. Yet he comes in and basically insults me because I am not a motor ***? I guess... I dont have to know anybody to know that it was rude.

If you call that a hissy fit.. then you'd really hate to see me when I lose a game of Unreal.

I'm defending myself because I have a right to. Yes I've owned a 98 mitsu eclipse GST in my time. I owned 2 camaros before that and have come back to my good ol camaro. I guess if anybody feels the need to call me whatever because of my taste in cars and how I organize my list of parts.. so be it. I will point it out of I think its wrong, rude or however I may take said statement.

lastly I'll ask how I'm acting like a..
f*cking teenage neophyte who just lost his girlfriend to the neighbor’s dog.
when I simply asked for some decency and advice. Then explain myself when called apon to do so. Sounds to me you're explaining yourself there a little bit instead of me.

and seeing as how this thread is going absolutely nowhere. I'm done posting in this thread. cyas

have a good one
Old 06-01-2004, 06:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
Well, like I said, I doubt you'd want to hear what I had to say; I think I was probably right. So there's not alot of sense in just piling onto an argument. You are doing what I'm seeing more and more of on this board on seemingly a daily basis, which is NOT sincerely asking for advice, and most especially not from more experienced hobbyists. Instead, you propose your already-formulated plan, expressed in several times the number of words that are really required to describe it, expecting other relative neophytes to come around and ooooh and aaaaahhh over it like the 8-year-old kids do at the chrome on a street rod in spite of their lack of understanding of what would make a car fast, reliable, or otherwise functional. They're just easily distracted by shiny things. You then defend your plan tooth and nail regardless of its merit. I'm just not interested in yet another of these urinating contests. You won't like it and I won't either. These all seem to end up in this same mode, and they stink.

I'd be happy to tell you how I think you could improve your plan, maybe in a private message or something if you don't want the flaws exposed for all to see, but you won't like what I say. I can tell right now you'll get all defensive and bowed-up over it. You already have your mind made up and you're looking for some reinforcement and reassurance on its soundness which isn't what I'll give you. So I'd just rather not even go there.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:38 PM
Supreme Member

...I'm defending myself because I have a right to.
Yep you do. So did Charles Manson. Didn't mean he was in the right either.

...lastly I'll ask how I'm acting like a.. when I simply asked for some decency and advice. Then explain myself when called apon to do so. Sounds to me you're explaining yourself there a little bit instead of me...
They cry and have a hissey fit. Not too difficult in drawing the comparison. I don't recall trying to explain anything. I do recall trying to figure out why you flipped out.

...and seeing as how this thread is going absolutely nowhere. I'm done posting in this thread. cyas
have a good one
And in your original post, you said you'd stop posting on the board entirely. Can you please make up your mind as we are all anxiously waiting for your decision so that we may, with your permission, continue on with our apparently meaningless lives... oh yea, no sarcasm.

Hm. That was a little fun.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:58 AM

Car: 2002 SOM z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T-56
I wouldn't even go through the hassle of pulling/rebuilding a 305 if you gave me all of those parts for free! Search for this: Absolute waste of time/money