Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Aeroquip Socketless Hose Fittings

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aeroquip Socketless Hose Fittings

I have a fuel plumbing issue that needs a tight radius bend and these fittings are the only thing available. I really don't want to spend $100 to plumb 2 ft of hose from my fuel pump to my aluminum fuel line. Has anyone just put regular carb or fuel injection hose with a clamp (not overtightened) on one of these fittings?
Old 05-25-2004, 02:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
just get a regular banjo fitting.

or better yet, describe the exact problem, and perhaps we can find a better solution.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:11 PM

MrDude,

I am using a Holley Blue pump mounted on the floor pan back by the rear differential. The problem is that the outlet to my pump points toward the passenger side of the vehicle. I have used aluminum fuel line in a 180 degree bent to route fuel back to the aluminum line that follows stock routing. The 180 degree bend arcs up toward the fuel tank and the problem is that the arced fuel line hangs down into the tranny tunnel. I know this is hard to envision. Sorry. I have 2 3/4" from the line to the rear differental. The factory bump stops have 2 1/2" before they hit, so there is a tiny bit of wiggle room. I have had my fuel line like this for 4 years with no problems but I am worried about a hard impact. I have anti-squat brackets so launching is not a problem and braking is obviously not a problem. If I could use a 90 degree Aeroquip fuel fitting at the pump I could turn the fuel line up before the tranny tunnel. Then all I would have to worry about is the rear brake line on the axle tube hitting the pump itself. I am not too worried though as I have 3+ inches of clearance there. There is really no room for these pumps on the rear of our cars. I only wish the Summitt pump with inlet and outlet on the same side was available when I bought the Holley pump. That would have solved all my problems.

I just can't bring myself to pay 100 dollars for fittings and hose to go 1-2ft. I really just need a barbed 90 degree brass fitting that can be positioned when tightening. Yeah, right. I have done much research and have decided to give putting regular FI hose on the Aeroquip fitting and using a clamp a try. Aeroquip says not to use a clamp but come on it's not like I am going to whail on the clamp!

Last edited by CamaroMike; 05-26-2004 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 88 Formula
Engine: 95LT4, 305TPI
Transmission: T56, T5
I used fuel injection rubber hose and double clamped each end that went to the hard lines on the body and on the tank and didn't have any problems with leaking. The pump and filter had flares on them so I just needed one clamp. I was running 45psi.

Old 05-26-2004, 12:39 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 2002 Formula Firebird
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 3.23
I'm about to install a holley blue myself. I was gonna use 3/8 NPT to 3/8 compression fittings but it sounds like I won't be able to...

On these pumps does it matter if they are mounted sideways? or do they have to be flat.

EDIT...

Hey zepher is that lakewood panhard rod hard to adjust? I am about to buy one.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 88 Formula
Engine: 95LT4, 305TPI
Transmission: T56, T5
Originally posted by 88Camaro350

Hey zepher is that lakewood panhard rod hard to adjust? I am about to buy one.
No, it's not hard to adjust, you just have to unbolt that one end, turn the end till you get the length you want and then put it back on.

I took the Lakewood off and put it on my Formula since I got a BMR Adjustable one that you can adjust without unbolting it from the car.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
i suppose their socketless barbed fittings would work fine.

just be careful when you put a clamp on it... thoes fittings have 3 more more barbs on it.. so when you're putting the clamp on, it goes on the barbs, not on a flatspot.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:02 AM

Mr. Dude,

A lot of brass hardware fitting have all barbs. Just gotta be easy on the clamps. I got lucky with a Mr. Gasket 90 degree barbed fitting last night. It actually got tight and stoped in the right spot. No more line over the differential. The Mr. Gasket fitting is actually tighter to the pump than the Aeroquip might be. Whew! Gonna keep my Aeroquip fitting as a backup incase the Mr. Gasket fitting ever leaks because there is no more tightening this fitting and having it point in the right direction. I also used teflon paste which always makes NPT fitting seem lose (friction reduction) but they seal oh so good.

88 Camaro,

Yes, the Holley pump has to be mounted with the motor up to keep fuel head pressure off of the motor shaft. Mounting the pump is also a pain because as you can see in Zephers' picture the floor pan has a step and I had to mount my pump closer to the differential than I might like to keep the mounting bracket flat.