Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Choosing a new radiator and fan

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2001, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Choosing a new radiator and fan

Alrighty guys... My radiator blew up. Fan died on me, car overheated, and the connector where the upper radiator hose goes actuall blew right off. So... I'm going to be getting a new radiator and a new fan.

Right now, I'm looking at either a Modine fan or a GDI 3 row that AutoZone sells. My brother works for AutoZone, so I get discount. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with it.

Also, I'm looking for a good, high CFM electric fan that won't break the bank. I'd like a dual fan set up (just in case one fails, like this time), but those look EXPENSIVE. Any inexpensive alternatives that aren't cheap crap?

------------------
1986 Firebird, LG4 305, bored .040 over, Crane cam, Edelbrock headers, Hooker Aerochamber muffler, loud and fast.

"Gimme fuel, gimme fire, gimme that which I desire!" - Metallica, "Fuel"
Old 03-27-2001, 11:52 AM

*bump* Yoo hoo!
Old 03-27-2001, 05:29 PM

get a griffin dual 1" core all- aluminum rad and it'll cool anything you can imagine!! also for a fan id get a perma cool 16" electric fan part#771-19126 avalible through jegs! the radiator will take a little patince and skill to get the stock rad, hoses on. the griffin model costs about 200$ and is well worth every possible penny!! the fan costs 80 bucks$ the rad you can get for the 3rd gens is a direct stock crap replacment!! it might have a lifetime warranty but, think about it,, if it fails you have to get new antifreeze every time you change it!

------------------
89 firebird formula

356 10.5:1compression
comp cams xe262 cam
performer rpm intake
#1405 edlebrock 600
sportsman 2 heads 64cc 2.02/1.60 valves 200cc intake runner
msd 6al
h.e.i. proform 50,000 volt vac. advance ditributor
700r-4 with 3.08 first gear and 3.23 posi 7 5/8 rear end.
b trans shift kit(will kill shifts...suck dong!!)
shorty heddman hedders with custom 3" pipe y-pipe back(no damn cat!) with 40 series flowmaster!

future mods: 406 roller REALLY REALLY REALLY RADICAL!!!!!

[This message has been edited by burnoutrpm (edited March 27, 2001).]
Old 03-27-2001, 06:10 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by burnoutrpm:
get a griffin dual 1" core all- aluminum rad and it'll cool anything you can imagine!! also for a fan id get a perma cool 16" electric fan part#771-19126 avalible through jegs! the radiator will take a little patince and skill to get the stock rad, hoses on. the griffin model costs about 200$ and is well worth every possible penny!! the fan costs 80 bucks$ the rad you can get for the 3rd gens is a direct stock crap replacment!! it might have a lifetime warranty but, think about it,, if it fails you have to get new antifreeze every time you change it!
</font>
First off, this radiator lasted 15 years, and if it's a stock replacement, I'm not worried about changing 10 bloody dollars worth of antifreeze if the radiator fails in 15 years. Plus you're supposed to change it every season.

Antifreeze is the least of my worries. My engine overheating because of fan failure is what I'm worried about, because this time my carb was shooting flames cuz it overheated and the upper radiator hose mount blew right off the radiator. That's why I want two fans. In case one dies, I still have the other. Which is why I'm looking at the Mr. Gasket 14 inchers and setting them up side by side.

Plus, I'm not about to drive myself nuts modifying a radiator that might give me a 5* difference over the stock one with the standard fan when I'm going to have two high cfm fans blowing across a stock style one.

------------------
1986 Firebird, LG4 305, bored .040 over, Crane cam, Edelbrock headers, Hooker Aerochamber muffler, loud and fast.

"Gimme fuel, gimme fire, gimme that which I desire!" - Metallica, "Fuel"