Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Totaled Camaro last night - Keep it or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1998 Camaro Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Totaled Camaro last night - Keep it or not?

I need some advice from anyone/everyone! Insurance company totaled it out. Notes made by appraiser: "No custom parts or non-factory equipment." Uh?

Here's the details:
1991 Black/Red Camaro RS LO3 T-Tops
75,000 original miles
A/C, heater, etc everything works
Paint good, interior excellent
Tires new, rims excellent shape
Just installed Ed's C4 front brakes last week
Spohn subframe connectors
Spohn panhard bar
Rear LCA's
New ball joints, KYB shocks and struts, sway bar end links, sway bar bushings front and back all installed last week or recently.
Pioneeer CD player, Kicker amps/speakers
AutoPage alarm
Probably other stuff I have forgotten.

I was doing all the suspension stuff and brakes first and then going to do an engine swap this summer either an LT1 or LS1.

If I total it out the insurance company will pay 3,354.00.
I guess if I keep it the amount will be 10-15% less for salvage.

Can anyone provide some insight or have experience with how much less than the appraisal above ie $3,354.00 I would get if I keep the car?

Got hit by a 2004 Toyota Camary that swerved to miss a car that turned in front of him. I estimated his speed about 45-50 mph when he hit the drivers side right behind the door. Ouch! Still have a headache and sore neck. I got hit sitting still waiting to pull out onto highway.

Damage: Drivers side rear quarter panel, knocked the rear wheel completely off. Not sure about rear end and frame. Ground effects behind rear wheel.
Rear bumper. Hatch ok I think other than it wont shut.
Thanks in advance for any input!
Chris
Old 05-18-2004, 02:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
They are trying to put the meat to you.

Since the wreck is not your fault, don't roll over and play dead for their insurance company. They owe you restoring your life to where it was before their insured crossed your path. You don't have to just take whatever scraps they offer and let them have their way with you.

If the wreck had been your fault, it would be a different matter; unless of course you were paying them to insure your additional stuff.

Make them either repair it, or supply you with another in identical condition and so forth. Receipts for parts installed and labor performed recently would help greatly.

If they balk, inform them that they'll be hearing from your lawyer. DON'T SIGN ANYTHING!!!!!! If you threaten them, follow up; don't be a windbag. Do what you say you're going to do. In most states, reasonable collection expenses are allowed, so basically you should be able to charge them for your lawyer, if this goes to court. THEY WILL LOSE and they know it. So stand your ground.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
Re: Totaled Camaro last night - Keep it or not?

Originally posted by Matt_Ky
I need some advice from anyone/everyone! Insurance company totaled it out. Notes made by appraiser: "No custom parts or non-factory equipment." Uh?

well if the car isnt worth fixing, take the money and go...

as for why the guy said No custom parts or non-factory equipment.... well, look at your list:

Here's the details:
A/C, heater, etc everything works - AKA factory. No custom parts or non-factory
Paint good, interior excellent- AKA factory. No custom parts or non-factory
Tires new, rims excellent shape- AKA factory. No custom parts or non-factory
Just installed Ed's C4 front brakes last week - very easily overlooked.... id yank them off before giving it to the insurance company
Spohn subframe connectors - not really reuseable anyway.. not worth buying the car back for... easily overlooked
Spohn panhard bar-easily overlooked
Rear LCA's-easily overlooked
New ball joints, KYB shocks and struts, sway bar end links, sway bar bushings front and back all installed last week or recently. - aka, he sees it as factory.... so you kept the car maintained... doesnt mean its custom.
Pioneeer CD player, Kicker amps/speakers - everyone has a stereo
AutoPage alarm - see stereo
Probably other stuff I have forgotten. -- if you cant even remember it, he probly doesnt see it.

you might be able to squeeze a couple more dollars out if you have the recipts for the new stuff, and you have the time to fight for it... but otherwise, thats it.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:38 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: NCC-1701-D (docked in AZ)
Engine: impulse drive
Transmission: fusion reactors
Axle/Gears: Rescued from the Borg by my crew
HAd my 84Z28 backed into. The guys insurance totaled it out. It wasnt in real good condition. Got 2600 for it. They took 400 for the salvage title cuz I wanted to keep it. Gave it to my kid. We still have it. Runs fine. They were telling me at first that they were coming to pick up the car and take it to Phoenix from where I live (about 2 hr drive). I had bought the car to restore it. I told them if they came to my house to pick it up someone would get hurt.