Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

After engine swap car won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2001, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
After engine swap car won't start!

I'm pretty much done with the engine swap to a 350ho gm crate engine TBI (from 305) and we got everything put back together except for a few little things like the AIR system. It's a brand new Ultima Red top and it's putting out 12.59 volts from my multi-meter. It's grounded and I checked that already. I then checked all my fuses, all good there. I have the avital avistart 6500 and it has a starter kill so I put that up to the battery like it was before and it worked fine since it's it's own brain so to speak. Even the remote start tried to work but engine didn't turn over for some reason. NON of the interior lights work, not even the headlamps come on. Nothing works, no windows, not even the power hatch so that's stuck up, I need help. I looked around and everything is plugged in except for the WOT sensor on the new TB and the "brown" wire for the distrib. I'm going to reconnect that if that has anything to do with it but I highly doubt it. The 91-92 air split isn't plugged in either, it's a nasty device that has two plugs going into the AIR plumbing then splits out to either side of the engine. I don't think that is it.
I'm starting to think that I have something wrong with the distribution block and/or the starter hook up. One of my dumb friends went under the car (shouldn't have let him) and took off the starter/solinoid wires without remembering where they went. Then he messed with the distribution block (positive).
Obviously it has something to do with the wires under the hood. I'm just trying to find a diagram that tells me where the wires go, I thought we did it right and yes the car is grounded.

------------------
, Jon (in process of installing new engine)
Old 03-22-2001, 10:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 89 IrocZ
Engine: L98-ish
Transmission: 700R4
I'd look at the fusable links, did your buddy make any sparks when he was under the car?

Old 03-23-2001, 01:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Since the wires were messed with...

Does the battery cable still go to both the starter & dist. block? I'd say just check for +12 at the dist block, starter, and alternator, and if all that's good, do what Mike said & check each fuseable link.

In 1986, fusable link "B" was the one that went to the ignition switch. It came off the starter motor, and oddly enough, was the same link that powered the high-speed blower (for heater or a/c) motor's relay. I say this because that split (between ign switch & blower motor) would let you check the fusable link with a voltmeter at the high-speed-blower relay.

Oh and you have that engine-to-firewall ground strap hooked up, right?

------------------
-Tom P (Hot rodded 1986 Firebird 2.8l) from http://www.f-body.net/mailbag/3rd/3rd_mailbag.html message boards
---Think your car could be pic of the week? Visit http://www.f-body.net for details!

[This message has been edited by TomP (edited March 23, 2001).]
Old 03-23-2001, 08:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89RSconvtZZ4TPI
Engine: ZZ4TPI
Transmission: 700R4 TRIPP TRANNY
When I went with a Painless harness and 92 Z28 TPI in my 305Tbi 89 RS I had a fuel relay inside the driver side foot kick panel. I had to jumper two of the pins to get the car to start! Strangest thing.

------------------
Rob P
89RSconvtZZ4TPI
Edelbrock Hi-Flow Intake
SLP Dual Cold Air Intake
1 5/8" Headers
Semi-Siamesed Runners
MSD6AL/relocated MAT/ AdjFPR/IROC frnt@rear swaybar/wonderbar/steeringbox/alum drvshaft/ Alston SFC/3:23posi disc rear/MAC LCA/H.Adams Panhard Rod/KYB struts/ shocks/
92Z28convt5spd
71Impala convt 402BB
BETTER DRIVING THRU SUPERIOR HORSEPOWER!