Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

My new camaro and stalling problems.. please help...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004 | 12:45 AM

Car: 1990 Iroc-Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto
My new camaro and stalling problems.. please help...

Ok, I bought a 1990 Iroc with the 305 TPI in it. The first day i was driving it, it stalled going down a hill. It was pretty hot, and the temp gauge was a lil past the middle, and the guy told me it needed a new thermostat, so i thought it just overheated...

day 2
I was pulling out of a lot at like 3 am and the car dies again. This time it was nice and cold out... so no overheating, and i figured i was just out of gas, because when i got home, i put some in and it was fine...

that weekend it went to the mechanic and we installed
-PCV Valve
-Wire Set
-Cap, Distr
-Distr rotor
-serpentine belt
-195 temp thermostat
-water outlet gasket
-and replaced all fluids, vacuum hoses, etc...

The car was driving good after that, but then it dies again, completely, this time it was electrical. After a while of charging the battery we got it back to the mechanic and found out the alternator was bad. We replaced the alternator and that was this weekend.

Now i have the car, and am nervous to take it out, because i dont want it to die or stall anymore. Is my problem fixed? Is there anything else that could be causing this? Its been a few days now, and it seems fine, but i do smell something while driving, not like a rotten egg type smell from the cat but like an oil or electrical smell if that makes sense... The mechanic says the alternator was the root of ALL the stalls, but im still a little hesitant.... could the alternator have been the probelm?

I just need some reassurance here to ease my nerves or some advice about what else the problem could be and what else may need replacing on these cars.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-10-2004 | 01:01 AM

sounds like you got a mechanic's special also.... oil like smell could be from oil dripped on an exhaust pipe if you changed oil filter and/or other various runoff from changing other fluids or the water pump gasket, depending how well you guys cleaned it up after. as for stalling alternator could have been a major cause cause if you dont have enough power coming from it, that makes it very hard for the injectors to fire without enough power.
the best thing you can do for now is take it out for small distances, and slowly earn back trust in it. if you know how, double check the timing, make sure all connections are secure, electrical and vaccuum lines, make sure fluids topped off and it should be alrite. in regards to the alt., chances are that was the problem, my friend had a t-bird and his alternator died and after voltage dropped past a certain point it died, but still had barely enough power to crank. theres alot of electrical stuff that runs the engine, so a new alternator should keep everything back up to normal again.
good luck

hellraiser and the red thing
Old 05-10-2004 | 08:08 AM
SSC
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 C4
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 307
The alternator could have caused the stalling problem, you might also check the fuel pressure. Its hard to say if it will do it again, your just going to have to drive it and see. Two things cause a rotten egg smell, you mentioned the cat also and overcharged battery will smell like that also.