Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

"new" autocenter Engines

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2001, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"new" autocenter Engines

does anyone have experience with Autocenter's "new engines"? Who are they assembled by? What components do they use?
Is their quality better or worse than GM's crate engines. I am not comparing performance at this point, I just want to know if their quality is any good.
I sure appreciate the help...........bob

------------------
91 camaro RS L03 convert,
t-5, ultimate TBI mods,TBI spacer,SLP 1 5/8 headers,
3"cat back, 3.42 torsen posi,alston SFC's,Global West LCA relocation brackets, edelbrock STB
Old 03-20-2001, 04:41 AM

Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 350 TBI/LT4 cam
Transmission: 700R
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rsilver:
does anyone have experience with Autocenter's "new engines"? Who are they assembled by? What components do they use?
Is their quality better or worse than GM's crate engines. I am not comparing performance at this point, I just want to know if their quality is any good.
I sure appreciate the help...........bob
</font>
Same here,rsilver
Old 03-20-2001, 07:45 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 Firebird WS6
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Well I never heard of autocenter, but am sure that it's not better than a GM crate.

GM motors are NEW and assembled with NEW parts and come with a warranty.

Whatever (fill in the blank) engine is less expensive and made of 're-manufactured' parts. If it's cheaper than i'd be worried. If it's more i'd be even more worried. It may come with a warranty, but 99.9% they last their warrany anyway.

There is alot of good machinists out there I know, but steel/iron/any metal has properties.

Cast iron: When new it's not really all that great. It could crack due to a porosity prob showing through. Or maybe they just missed an imperfection. Later in life they become stronger and since there was no probs yet, make a better foundation to build POWER. I don't know of one racer or racing engine builder who would recommend a new block (Maybe not for longevity anyway) to soup-up.

Afterwards they become brittle and cracks start showing up.

Aluminum is even worse. The effect is even faster than iron. Roller rockers made of aluminum should NEVER be purchased used. I don't care how much you'd paid. I heard a remark about Proform rockers breaking. Well I still have mine, but will change them out, toss 'em and install new ones long before that because they all will break! Maybe the higher priced ones will last longer, but after 50,000 don't trust any of them. I installed trash screens in the heads anyway. Aluminum gets work hardened very fast and cracks.

WOW... i think i'm ramblin' way off the subject, but I work 3rd shift and it's almost 10a.m. (past my bedtime!) so buy the GM motor IMO.
Old 03-20-2001, 11:47 AM

Almost all of them are NEW GMPP or goodwrench crate engines. On some engines they swap out the goodwrench or GMPP cam and add a cranes compucam or other GMPP cam. For example they sell a standard ZZ4 and a ZZ4 w/ a LT4 hotcam already installed. Another example is their 87-89 TPI engine, where they swapped the standard goodwrench cam for a crane compucam roller. They also have options for aftermarket heads like Trick Flow and edelbrock. Their prices are pretty good. I'm currently looking towards them for my next 350 this summer.

James

------------------
1985 Z-28 305 TPI
221,000+ mi., Original Eng.

[This message has been edited by james_fearn (edited March 20, 2001).]
Old 03-20-2001, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would only buy a goodwrech engine. there warenty is the best. if your new gm engine clunks out "highly unlikely" in "Guam" seriosly anywhere in the country gm will give you a new engine and pay for the install no questions asked.

------------------
85 Camaro RS 350/350 stealth intake, holley street avenger 670
true dual exhaust. "ButtStang killer"
82 firebird 305 all original - the cat and smog crap."All show No go"