Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Help with electric gauges and a mechanical motor...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2001, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with electric gauges and a mechanical motor...

Hey guys. Very exciting news. I'm buying a '90 GTA rolling chasis with performance parts to the sky already installed. I'm going to take out the 350/700r4 out of my '82 Z28 I have now and putting them in the GTA. The problem is how do I get all the gauges to work?

The guy is including the computer and all of the wiring so can I use some of the wiring to get the gauges to work (oil pressure, coolant, voltage, etc) or is there another method.

I know there's some kinda box that makes an electrical speedometer and tach work on a mechanical driven system, but don't remember the details.

Please help, this is very exciting, but it won't do me any good if the gauges won't work!

Thanks.

EDIT: forgot to add that the 350 coming out of the '82 is not computer controlled, so I figure that will complicate things.

------------------
1990 GTA with the heart of an 1982 Z28

Project starting this weekend. Should be interesting...

[This message has been edited by crazeinc (edited March 19, 2001).]
Old 03-19-2001, 09:13 PM

need some help
Old 03-19-2001, 10:07 PM

PJ

The easy part is getting the Oil Pressure, Water Temperature, Tachometer, and Fuel Level gauges to work.

The fun part is getting the Speedo to work properly.

You are moving in the right direction with getting the speedometer to work since you are slapping the 700R4 into the GTA.

I'm guessing you don't plan on making this setup computer controlled correct?...because if so, I'ts a whole different nightmare all together. If you just want the gauges to work, things become alot easier.

The electronic speedo is controlled by an electronic speed sensor on the 700R4 tail housing as opposed to a mechanical sensor that you currently have on the Camaro.

My custom setup no the '86 no longer uses the original electronic speed sensor to control various conditions of my car, so I had to rewire a few things with the electronic sensor to get the speedo and cruise control to work.

First, you will need to determine your rear gear ratio in order to buy the correct speed sensor from your local GM parts counter. (there are three possible RPO codes in the center console, one of which you will have). The parts counter guy will tell you to find out which code you have, and then he will order a speed sensor for you. you will also need to get the correct trans shaft gear from your parts guy. pull the tail shaft and replace the stock gear with the new plastic shaft gear that matches your new speed sensor, and you're half way home. Please do this before you put the engine/tranny in the car....It's alot easier.

After that, it's just a matter of rigging the "4-Out Buffer" (little 4"x4" yellow box under the passenger side under-dash panel) in order to get your speedo up and running.

Let us know if you run into any problems. depending on how much the previous owner butchered everything, sometimes it can be a pain to figure out. I'm willing to give you a hand.

------------------
86 Trans Am WS6 Black with tinted windows, shaved door handles
ZZ4, Mini-ram, true duals
***Too many other mods to mention***

"In the future, cities will become deserts,
roads will become battlefields, and the hope of mankind
will appear as a stranger"
The Road Warrior
Old 03-19-2001, 10:23 PM

First off, thanks for the help Steve, but you're not getting off that easy

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Steves ZZ5:
The easy part is getting the Oil Pressure, Water Temperature, Tachometer, and Fuel Level gauges to work.
</font>
If it's easy, would you mind telling me how it's done? I'm figuring you just start hooking up the connections, but I'm curious how many SES lights I'm going to get with just the gauges plugged in and none of the computer controlled items on the motor.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
First, you will need to determine your rear gear ratio in order to buy the correct speed sensor from your local GM parts counter. (there are three possible RPO codes in the center console, one of which you will have). The parts counter guy will tell you to find out which code you have, and then he will order a speed sensor for you.
</font>
I have a 10 bolt 4.10 rearend I'm going to swap from the camaro into this GTA and so what would I use as far as codes are concerned since 4.10's were never offered?

you will also need to get the correct trans shaft gear from your parts guy. pull the tail shaft and replace the stock gear with the new plastic shaft gear that matches your new speed sensor</font>

What the heck is the trans shaft gear and what is the correct one to get? Will this be corresponding with the speed sensor I order from the dealer? I mean, if I get tell him I want the sensor, will the the correct trans shaft gear also be ordered if I ask him to?

After that, it's just a matter of rigging the "4-Out Buffer" (little 4"x4" yellow box under the passenger side under-dash panel) in order to get your speedo up and running.
</font>

What do you mean by "rigging" do I need to connect wires from the speed sensor to this box and so on?

[This message has been edited by crazeinc (edited March 19, 2001).]
Old 03-20-2001, 07:48 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">If it's easy, would you mind telling me how it's done? I'm figuring you just start
hooking up the connections, but I'm curious how many SES lights I'm going to get with
just the gauges plugged in and none of the computer controlled items on the motor.
</font>
Well PJ, that's why I was asking if you are planning on keeping the GTA computer-controlled or not. If you are going to keep things computer-controlled, then we're gonna have some fun. SES lights all over the place.

Just hooking things up without the computer is pretty easy. The only thing that would be a bit more involved with the other gauges is making sure that the oil pressure switch is still connected so you dont get an oil pressure light. Your GTA will have a tee fitting so you can hook up the oil pressure switch AND the oil pressure sender at the same fitting at the rear of the block by the distributor, or you can just ditch the pressure switch all together.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I have a 10 bolt 4.10 rearend I'm going to swap from the camaro into this GTA and so what
would I use as far as codes are concerned since 4.10's were never offered?
</font>
Well, in that case you won't be able to find the correct electric speed sensor and trans shaft gear that is calibrated to your rear end. Just as you said, they never offered the 4.11 in our cars, so no go on getting things calibrated the way I suggested. I thought perhaps you were keeping the stock rear end in the GTA. What you MAY be able to do is get an electric speed sensor and get a calibration box in order to "tune" the signal to match your electric speedo/rear gear combination. I forget who offers the calibration box, so you might want to post another thread asking about it.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What the heck is the trans shaft gear and what is the correct one to get? Will this be
corresponding with the speed sensor I order from the dealer? I mean, if I get tell him I want the
sensor, will the the correct trans shaft gear also be ordered if I ask him to?
</font>
Yes, the gear corresponds with the speed sensor, and should be ordered with the speed sensor. The stock mechanical sender gear (metal) is press fit onto the 700R4 shaft, and needs to be removed so you can slip the plastic gear onto the shaft, and snap-clip it into place.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What do you mean by "rigging" do I need to connect wires from the speed sensor to this box
and so on?</font>
Yes, and this goes back to the "calibration box" mentioned above. The 4-Out Buffer may possibly be deleted, or just run in conjunction with the aftermarket calibration box. I really don't know now since we are dealing with the calibration box and 4.11 gears, and not just a configuration with a stock rear end.

Also, what rear end is in the GTA right now?..If it's the stock Borg Warner 9-bolt, I may be interested in purchasing it from you....Let me know.