Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

What causes your car to shock you when you touch it??

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 11:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Pro-Built Automatic/Vigilante 2800
What causes your car to shock you when you touch it??

Feels like static electricity when I touch the car door. What causes this??
Old 05-02-2004, 11:17 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: Z28
Engine: Sb2.2 406
Transmission: Jerico 4 speed
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" 3.60
That is exactly it. Static electricity. Same theory basically as scooting around in socks on carpet and then touching a lamp.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:02 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Pro-Built Automatic/Vigilante 2800
I was getting shocked good today. Could a bad ground cause your car to shock you??
Old 05-03-2004, 03:15 AM
TGO Supporter

The shock has nothing to do with your cars electrical system. The shock you recieve as you touch a metal part of your car (usually after getting out) is caused by a static electrical discharge. Is the car shocking you? No. You are shocking the car. As you move around in your seat electrons are transfered from the seat to you. This gives your body a negative charge. As you get out of the car and you reach for an object, usually your door as you shut it, the negative charge in your body looks for a way to ground out or balance out. By touching the door, or any metal part for that matter, you lend a way for the negaitive charge to escape from you and go somewhere else. The shock you experience is merely the electrons that you aquired, from moving around in the seat, transfering from you to the door. Ever see the signs on gas pumps that give a warning about static electricity? Thats the same reason. If the first thing you touch after getting out of your car is something such as fuel, it could ground through that and cause a spark which could ignite fuel. Its a very uncommon occurance, but it happens every once in a while i suppose.

This is a perfectly normal happening. It is how nature works. Its the exact same principal as lightning, but on a much smaller scale. It has nothing to do with your vehicles grounding system. There is absolutly no reason to get worried.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:15 AM

Car: 90 Firebird
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: 700r4
this has always happened to me, I've just learned to touch a metal part on my car, such as the door frame, before putting my foot on the ground, you know, ground yourself... after your foots on the ground you can let go, you're discharged.

You can also shock the guy in the car next to you if you time it right and ground yourself
Old 05-03-2004, 01:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: Internal Combustion
Transmission: Completed
Axle/Gears: ones that turn.
Ever notice under the back of some cars, there are one or two rubber straps hanging down far enough to contact the ground when the car is at rest? They are grounding straps designed to prevent the static discharge (and possibility of explosion).
Old 05-03-2004, 01:29 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Petes 84Z28
Ever notice under the back of some cars, there are one or two rubber straps hanging down far enough to contact the ground when the car is at rest? They are grounding straps designed to prevent the static discharge (and possibility of explosion).
No? A rubber strap isn't going to ground anything. I've never seen this on either of my Camaros...
Old 05-03-2004, 01:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
the solution is for you to toss a anti-static dryer sheet in the dryer when you're washing your clothes.:lala:
Old 05-03-2004, 01:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1995 Corvette
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 6 spd Manual
Axle/Gears: Dana 44, 3:45:1
Make sure you don't forget to put the ground strap deal back in when you change coils on a large cap hei. If you don't, when you go to adjust the timing, you might end up shocking the hell out of myself..
Old 05-03-2004, 02:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
Originally posted by CaysE
No? A rubber strap isn't going to ground anything. I've never seen this on either of my Camaros...
They're aftermarket.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:14 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by thirdgen88
Make sure you don't forget to put the ground strap deal back in when you change coils on a large cap hei. If you don't, when you go to adjust the timing, you might end up shocking the hell out of myself..
uhh, actually whenever i do anything with the engine running where i might touch a plug wire, i make it a point to NOT ground myself to the car.

that way, i dont complete the circuit and i dont shock myself.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:02 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 82 Z28
Engine: Al LT1 headed LG4 305
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi with spacer
The static electricity is caused by the tires "rolling" on the road, picking up a static charge. When you touch the car you provide a direct path for that static charge to flow.

BTW this has only started occurring in the last 10 years or so, with the different designs and compounds used in tires today.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:29 PM

Car: 91RS
Engine: 305tbi
Transmission: 700R4
Don't get curious as to what happens if you pull the coil wire with the car running either. It isn't fun, I learned the hard way
Old 05-03-2004, 10:41 PM
TGO Supporter

Originally posted by ME Leigh
The static electricity is caused by the tires "rolling" on the road, picking up a static charge. When you touch the car you provide a direct path for that static charge to flow.

BTW this has only started occurring in the last 10 years or so, with the different designs and compounds used in tires today.
ME Leigh, while this may be possible, lets look at this (assuming all things possible). Your tires pick up static electricity from rolling on the pavement. The electrons are then transfered from the tires to the doors and the other parts of the body. You get out and touch these parts and get shocked. Yes that sounds feasable. But why would the chassis grounds not ground out the electricity as the car is in motion? The firewall is connected to the body in a few places. Theres a big ground strap on the firewall that grounds to a cyl. head.

Besides, my physics book in both high school and college, as well as my teachers/prof told me that it is most common as i stated it.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Firebird Trans AM
Engine: 383 TPI...very soon
Transmission: TH700R4
Originally posted by PyRo9862
Don't get curious as to what happens if you pull the coil wire with the car running either. It isn't fun, I learned the hard way
Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt.

Atleast it wasn't on my car, because I think the coil I have is a lot hotter than a Dodge Mini-Van.

It smarted... not a first tho.

When I was young, my dad got me to grab the spark plug terminal on a 8 horse power briggs and straton engine on a rotor-tiller while it was running. He was a crule man, but I guess it was to learn me a lesson, as he said it.

Come to think of it, I've been shocked so many times... maybe I am slow...

Back on topic... My car shocks me (or I shock my car as it was said earlier) all the time. I usually get out, standing up, then go to close the door, and get a nice little zap. It's kinda fun, strange thing is it doesn't happen to my passangers, only me... hmm... I fear that one day I'm going to attract lightening to myself.

Last edited by TheMysticWizard; 05-04-2004 at 02:03 AM.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:00 AM

Car: so many projects to little time
Engine: 350 tbi
Transmission: 700r4
this used to happen to me every once in a while in my 70 rs/ss camaro. the doors were all steel and had half door panels. the bottom was exposed metal. it so happend my speaker wires were rubbing on the door and would sometime shock me when they made contact. maybe an idea for you. speakers in door. maybe grounding or arcing in some way
Old 05-04-2004, 08:19 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Stekman
ME Leigh, while this may be possible, lets look at this (assuming all things possible). Your tires pick up static electricity from rolling on the pavement. The electrons are then transfered from the tires to the doors and the other parts of the body. You get out and touch these parts and get shocked. Yes that sounds feasable. But why would the chassis grounds not ground out the electricity as the car is in motion? The firewall is connected to the body in a few places. Theres a big ground strap on the firewall that grounds to a cyl. head.

Besides, my physics book in both high school and college, as well as my teachers/prof told me that it is most common as i stated it.
you need to define a object.
the car, as a whole, can hold a charge because the tires insulate it from the ground. ground as in earth, pavement, ect....

so you walk along, building a static charge... you are insulated from the ground because of your rubber soled sneakers.

now, you might be building a charge because your clothes are rubbing together, you might be building it because you rubbed a balloon on your hair a billion times, i donno.

but you arnt electrically connected to earth, therefore you are holding your charge.

when you stand next to your car (also insulated from earth by the tires) you and the car have a diffrence in charge.

there is ALWAYS a diff. however, if the diff is large enough it will "jump" between the gap of you and the car, and you get a shock.

Apeiron:
not to be a dick but, rubber does not conduct electricity.

Petes 84Z28:
frankly thats a stupid idea, even if it did conduct electricity.

plus if the problem is his clothes, it wont even help. he still has a diff in charge between him and ground.

if its to solve the gas station fire "problem", the solution is, dont be a idiot and get back in the car while pumping gas... or if you do, atleast touch the cars chassis or the metal ground of the pump casing.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:00 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 82 Z28
Engine: Al LT1 headed LG4 305
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi with spacer
Exactly!
Old 05-04-2004, 04:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '82 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH400 4,000 stall
Axle/Gears: Currie 9", 4.56 gears
Re: What causes your car to shock you when you touch it??

Originally posted by grafx
Feels like static electricity when I touch the car door. What causes this??
Static electricity... heard on the news you guys had extreamly low humidity like 9% down there so that'll make it all the worse.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:53 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: '83 Z28, '07 Charger SRT8
Engine: 454ci, 6.1 Hemi
Transmission: TH350, A5
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi, 3.06 posi
Don't touch the coil on a Ford Flathead V8 when its running... that was a shocking experience (that was bad I know..)

I could hear the 'snap' from the current too, lol
Old 05-04-2004, 06:35 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
I think you all have got it all wrong.

It's from looking at newer cars.

We all know cars are feminine, and we all know how jealous women are. So, you check out other cars, your car sees you doing it, the next time you touch it, it responds accordingly.

It's all so simple, really....
Old 05-04-2004, 06:37 PM

Car: 1987 Firebird Trans AM
Engine: 383 TPI...very soon
Transmission: TH700R4
Originally posted by five7kid
I think you all have got it all wrong.

It's from looking at newer cars.

We all know cars are feminine, and we all know how jealous women are. So, you look at other cars, your car sees you doing it, the next time you touch it, it responds accordingly.

It's all so simple, really....
LMAO!!! That's good! Never know... I think my car has it's own mind.