Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

headlight motors

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2001 | 03:10 AM

Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: L03
Transmission: A4
headlight motors

ok, both my headlight motors on my 91 firebird (or gears, not sure which) aren't working. they've been out for a year or so now, and I'm getting tired of them being propped up. until I unplugged the motors, you could hear them trying to go up and down when you flip the switch, but I got tired of that damn noise too.. I saw a guy I used to work with who did a little work on cars (he had a formula 350) and he said something about replacing some plastic screw with a metal one and it'll work fine.. of course, this MIGHT not be the problem, but he seemed confident enough (I'm guessing he had the same problem as most of the other people with firebirds with headlight motor problems) .. anyone have any clue what he might be talking about? and how to fix the problem? the motors/gears or whatever went out kinda slow.. at first they would go up partially, then stop, then maybe a little more, while the motor was going the whole time, which makes me think it's something with the gears (I'm guessing it's gears, but I'm not too sure how they work) thanks for any help..
Old 03-03-2001 | 07:41 AM

Do a search, it will have more deatailed information.

However, here is the gist. The headlights only use 1/2 of a gearwheel in the motor. IF you remove the top of the motor housing, you will see the gear. Mark it and rotate it 180*. Reassemble, and youre motors should run just find.

NOTE: You will need a friend to help getting it back together.

Clayton

PS One of the old posts linked to a Tech Article of sorts. So check it out.
Old 03-03-2001 | 08:19 AM

yeah, I actually did a search after I posted that.. thanks.

oh, the guy I talked to did say something about replacing some screw though, and it works for the headlight motors AND works for window motors too... maybe I heard him wrong, but does anyone have any idea what he might have been talkin about?
Old 03-03-2001 | 09:20 AM
Supreme Member

Check my website under the "Miscellaneous Mods" section.

Steve

------------------
Steve's Trans Am Temple
Old 03-04-2001 | 02:31 AM

ok, it wasn't the gear, it was the plastic bearings behind it.. they were shaved all to hell..

Steve: you still have steel ball bearings in yours? they still working fine? and you said .40" is the right size? any idea where I can find those? I tried a few auto parts stores, a hobby store, and a hardware store.. anywhere else? thanks. (love the car, by the way)

[This message has been edited by 91FireChicken (edited March 04, 2001).]