Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Mice in my car!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2001, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mice in my car!!!!

Last summer my car sat for about a month, while I was on Vacation, and when I got back I opened the door to car full of mouse crap and a stench like you've never smelled before. First I checked the air vent thing infront of the windshield but found no way that a mouse could get through. So I tore the rear half of the cars interior out (that looked like that was where they were living) right down to the bare metal and found only the tiniest of holes that I filled up. I then moved on to the front of the car where I pulled the console and front carpet out and found nothing. I then waited till night time and my dad and I used a trouble light to search the entire car to see if we could spot some light coming through, which we didn't. All the hoses and wires leading through the firewall have the rubber sealers on them and I couldn't figure it out. I cleaned the car up, borrowed one of those Ozone machines that sucks the smell out of anything, and they didn't seem to come back in the couple months that I drove it after that.

I put my car in the carport (Garage without a door) put the cover on it and left it for winter in October. Every once and a while I would check it and seemed alright.
Now a week or to go I go to check it and there back! I've pulled it all apart again and still can't find any holes or cracks. I hate mice.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if anyone knows of some spots that they might think a mouse could get in.

By the way totally rust free 89 iroc, all seals are tight (well mouse tight anyway)
Thanks

------------------
89 Iroc-Z
L98, cat_back, no cat, K&N, 3.42 gears, airfoil, shift kit, accel everything, B&M megashifter, useless JET II chip
Coming SLP headers, pulleys, afpr, drag radials
www.oramac.cz28.com
Old 03-01-2001, 11:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: TeamTripp Performance
People are always dissing cats. In this case, one may actually be useful.
Old 03-02-2001, 12:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
A friend of mine set a pet white mouse loose in his parents caravan, and it ducked into a hole intened for a rear seat latch which was out at the time. The mouse lived in there for at least two years, and passengers would see it from time to time scavenging fries and other fast food that made its way to the floor. Just as soon as you assumed it had died, or vacated, someone would spot it peeking through a vent or something... they are sneaky bastards!
Old 03-02-2001, 01:54 AM
Supreme Member

12 volt heat rock and a nice snake would help you out for sure.
Old 03-02-2001, 09:56 AM

In all seriousness, I would grab a couple of mouse traps and bait them with something that won't smell such as bits of cracker. Put them on rubber floormats to keep any mess off the carpet. Keep the windows cracked in case you can't check the car often enough (so one of the little bastards doesn't die and stink the car up). Check the traps every other day or so and they will eventually meet their Waterloo. I also have an excellent mouse recipe too if anyone is interested (also works for Tennessee midnight possum) .
Old 03-02-2001, 10:22 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt, 3.45
My guess would be that they are coming in through the front somehow, probably under the dashboard. Behind the kick panels there are access holes to the door hinge bolts, and there is enough space there that something could get inside the front fender, and come in through the access hole. I have a pet mouse and you would be amazed at the tiny spaces they can fit through. One time my mouse got out of her cage, and i was chasing her down the hallway- well the hallway door was shut, so I thought 'good shes cornered.'. Well she just kept on running full speed right under the door! there is like a 5/8" gap!

------------------
1983 Pontiac Firebird SE
LG4-Based Chevy 400
700R4 Tansmission
Modified 4 Barrel Q-Jet Carb
Accel Super Stock 8mm Wires
Edelbrock Pro-Flo Air Cleaner
3.23 Posi Rear
14X7" Cragar SS/T Wheels
Clarion 45X4 CD/AM/FM Head Unit
100WX2 Amp
2 Pioneer 12" Subs in Custom Box
Third Gen Performance
"A four cylinder is only half an engine"
Old 03-02-2001, 12:13 PM

Thanks ward, I'll go look for that hole that youre talking about.
On the mouse traps, I had them out there in the summer while I was cleaning it (over a few days) and I got like 4 or 5 mice so figgured that was that. I did the same thing last week and now they seem to be gone but I just need to find that hole so they cant get back in.
Old 03-02-2001, 03:47 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: BW 2.77
I had a rat die in my IROC not too long ago. I determined that he got in through an opening (fresh air) that's located behind the plastic wheel well cover, behind the front passenger wheel (towards the door).
Old 03-02-2001, 04:21 PM

Car: Trans Am
Engine: L69
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73
I think it may be poss that you know how sometime on our cars the doors dont shut all the way, I think I had a mouse get in that way before, cause I couldnt determine any other way.. They will stay away with some bounty type dryer sheets. Since I have used them I havnt had a problem, maybe it is coinsidence but it is worth a try.. Just a thought Kevin
Old 03-03-2001, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '86 IROC-Z/'94 Z28
Engine: 350 LT1/382 LT1
Transmission: 4L60-E/T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.45/3.42 (soon 4.10)
Occasionlly( some cars, don't know why) you'll find the access holes the factory assembly machines used fall out or get punched out or worked loose by road debris, body flexing, letting water out during a water leak repair (common w/t-tops), etc...places for those are under the spare, front floorboards, opposite of the spare, rear cargo, etc...mice can get in places 1/2" tall, so keep that in mind- trace all areas where body parts meet; often, the door seals, on the door, at the top back portion where it seals water, it wears and leaves plenty of a gap. You might also try rodent gel in the spare tire wheelwell. Check the rear hatch for gaps- they often crush flat as they wear (those with commonly dirty cargo trim take note) and the gap where the weatherstrip meets usually increases as the weatherstrip ages. If all else fails, drive the car while a buddy checks for air leaks (if air can get in, mice probably can, too)at 60 MPH. Don't get caught w/o a seatbelt. Then check all body seams and w/strip w/ 1 1/2" bead of water(out of the end of the hose while holding it level w/ground)while your buddy again checks for leaks (water). Wheck evrything twice from all angles, using your thumb for pressure-don't use alot of water volume. Also a good way to check water leaks and to replace leaking of worn w/strip. Give these ideas a try, one or a combination ought to work.
Old 03-03-2001, 10:58 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 240 Likes on 195 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Allan:
I had a rat die in my IROC not too long ago. I determined that he got in through an opening (fresh air) that's located behind the plastic wheel well cover....</font>
I killed a rat in a Mitsubihi last summer. It was a very similar situation, except that he got crumpled in his car in my wheel well. That stupid little three-pointed star emblem thingy on his rear deck lid almost punctured my tire. Nearly pissed me off...

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"No matter how hard you try you can't stop us now..."
Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0