Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

LT1 Cam Into Stock LB9? (I Searched)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: No F-Body Currently :(
Engine: none
Transmission: none
Axle/Gears: still...none...(ugh)
LT1 Cam Into Stock LB9? (I Searched)

Hello All!

I again own a 3rd gen car, and am back in the TPI realm. Been away for awhile, and very happy I'm back. This might seem like a question that has been answered before, but I am finding conflicting information on these boards.

I have an 87 IROC with the stock 305 TPI (LB9) motor and computer and chip. It is an automatic with 2.73 gears, and 80k miles.

It needs the head gaskets replaced. So, while I have the motor this far apart, and after searching around on these boards, I have decided to install a LT1 cam from an 95 Z28. I know other changes will also increase performance, but this one I can address now, and inexpensively. I also plan to upgrade the rear gears to either 3.42's or 3.73's.

My question is this (and YES, I searched the forums before asking!).

Does this cam work with a stock computer and chip? Or will it cause any problems? Will I have any emissions problems? What about valve spring changes?

From my searches, I believe the answer is YES it will work with the factory computer and chip, and NO it will not negatively affect emissions, and NO, I do not need to change valve springs. Am I correct?

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:43 AM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 405 Likes on 309 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56
Things you need to change with that cam.

Dowel pin length
Timing chain
Valve springs

Things you want to consider to get the best emisions and power out of the cam

Burning your own chips or having someone do it for you.

I assume you already have a full exhuast. If not, change that first before you consider a cam swap.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: No F-Body Currently :(
Engine: none
Transmission: none
Axle/Gears: still...none...(ugh)
Shifty,

Thanks for the info.

I planned for the timing chain and dowel, but will also upgrade the valve springs. I was hoping to get away with the originals for a while.

I know programming will improve even a completely stock car, but I need to crawl before I walk. I have downloaded TunerPro RT and am in the process of making a 2 transistor cable (and also a max232), so I will begin with datalogging when I get the car running again.

Yes, the car does have a full cat-back kit on it. I just recently purchased the car knowing the motor needed work. I just want the 305 to run for now, as I plan on building a 350 (383) for it as time and money permit. But I want to get the most fun out of the 305, and will also use it to craft my programming skills before the next motor goes in.

Do you have any idea if it is emission compliant with a stock chip?