Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

2.8 V6 problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4 Automatic
2.8 V6 problems

Hi everyone, I am new to the boards, and this past weekend I picked up a 1988 Camaro with the 2.8 V6. It is all stock except for a Flowmaster muffler system. It's going to be a nice project car, but I need to come up with the funds to drop the 350 in it, so I need it to run correctly as it is.

The car has sit for a while, the previous owner told me maybe 4-5 months. It sat in a garage, and had about 3/4 a tank full of old gas, which I just replaced and made it run much better (I added some fuel injector cleaner just for some added cleaning.) But the car LOVED the new 87 Octane gas I put in it.

That's a little info on how the car was when I got it, now for the problems:

When the ignition is first turned on, you can hear the fuel pump prime, and it either starts right up, or takes a few tries (when cold usually in the morning, if I start it up during the day I can start it all day long and it fires right up.) When the Camaro sits at idle, I have noticed that sometimes there is voltage spikes, and the idle kind of bounces around on it's own. It usually alternates from 700 rpm, to rough 1000, then back to around 700, and it hovers between those ranges for a short while. Then the engine will race a little bit, and the idle picks up to about 1500 rpm, and then hovers between 1200-1500 RPM and you can hear it doing all this, so it's not just a faulty tach. This is all when the car is in park. I am guessing that the problem may lie in a faulty sensor, or the computer itself, but any ideas of what can be causing the idling problems?

Also, I have noticed that sometimes the Voltage spikes only at idle. The regular oil pressure is very low as well, it usually stays around 5 psi and is no where near where it should be.

Any suggestions on what could be causing this?

In any case, I am glad to be here and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:10 PM

More trouble today

Ok, things are certainly getting worse...

Today, after driving the car it sounded like it was missing, and the heat went way up on it. I checked the fluids, good oil, needed a bit of Antifreeze. After driving it a bit, it was overheating and not running that good at all.

Please help me.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:37 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 241 Likes on 196 Posts
RS88,

Welcome Aboard!

Since the car has been idle for some inderterminate amount of time (sellers have been known to "forget" pertinent facts), there are probably more things to do than just freshen the fuel. Start with a basic tune up at least, including clean plugs, testing the wires, inspecting the cap and rotor, checking the base timing, cleaning the throttle body, clean oil, and inspecting/replacing filters. Timing alone can affect the amount of heat generated.

As for the electrical gremlins, while you're under the hood checking out everything else, check all the ground wires you can find to make sure they are clean and tightly connected.

That should give you a good basic starting point to perform any problem diagnosis.

If you're really into catching up on the maintenance, you might want to flush, drain, and refilll the cooling system.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:27 PM

Thank you Vader

Vader I very much appreciate the insight, I am just getting into working on cars, but I have enough knowledge so I will do everything you told me to.

I will tell you what brought the Camaro down in the first place.

The previous owner was an 18 year guy, he doesn't know much about working on cars. Neither does his dad apparently, as they somehow disconnected the Speedometer which I may have to jack up the car and see if it's the tranny connector after I check under the dash and check the connection there.

Apparently he was driving one day, and all of a sudden he heard a snapping sound, and the car started overheating and he lost power steering. Apparently the power steering bracket had come loose, and he shredded the serpentine belt. This of course stopped the coolant from flowing. He then drove it home for a 15 minute trip, he said he did stop on occasion to let it cool down as it was redlined almost all the way there (but who knows if that is fact or fiction) and he did get the car home. My dad fixed the bracket, and put a belt on it, and after about 10 tries, the car started up.

After my post tonight, I disconnected the battery for about a half hour, and turned the car back on, and it's actually running O-K (still a little boggy, and still absolutely no oil pressure) but the idle is no longer spiking like it was. I do not intend to keep the V6 long, maybe a month or so until I can get a V8 dropped in it. But I will try what you told me, maybe what caused the vehicle to stop running may put some light on what is wrong. Also the car makes a ticking noise, that increases as the engine speed goes up. The car is running consistent now at least, but not without problems.

Also, if the speedometer is not working, doesn't the transmission check for the speed? Do I need to disconnect anything from the Tranny if I cannot get the speedometer working again?
Old 03-25-2004, 08:59 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

The transmission itself doesn't really care about the speedometer output, but the ECM will be expecting to recive a singal from the VSS - driven by the speedo cable on '88 Camaros.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:00 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Sounds like you knew a lot of pertinent facts that you left out in your first post.

Those V6's weren't all that tough when neglicted. Driving for 15 miles without any cooling system goes beyond neglict.

Change the oil and tranny fluidNOW. Even if you don't plan on driving it long, driving at all with those cooked fluids will dramatically shorten its life.

It may already be too late.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:28 AM

Thank you Five7kid all the fluids were changed before I drove the car home that day. Me and my dad did all that, including Tranny.

As much as I should have stated what happened to the car in the first place, I didn't feel it was all that important as no matter what happened in the past, this is how the Camaro is now. The fluids were not that bad at all, as me and my dad noted the oil still looked new, and me and my dad have seen worse tranny fluid coming out of newer cars.

The Camaro seems to really have gone back to life to some extent, especially after I followed most of Vader's suggestions (cleaning the throttle body and the idle adjustment screw made a world of difference.) I found a (complete with accessories) 305 for $175.00 a friend of mine is selling me (at least that's his cost to me.) it came out of a 1989 Camaro, so within a week or so that engine is going to sit under the hood for a while, as a 350 will sit on an engine stand awaiting buildup (which I got for free off the same friend, block with heads). If the V6 can last a week or 2 longer, I will be happy. That motor loves to suck gas as it's still not running 100% correct, but it is running much better. Thank you again for the suggestions.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:27 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Is the "temporary" 305 a TPI, TBI, or carbed engine (or, what will it be)? It may make a substantial difference from the standpoint of controlling the engine. For example, if you're going to build a TPI 350, and the 305 has TPI, you might as well get the TPI working now.
Old 03-27-2004, 11:18 AM

305 Engine info

The 305 I am getting has been "retrofitted" it has an Edelbrock Performer Manifold, and Carb. My friend used it to power his 88 Camaro RS but he has a 396 Big block in his car now (Man that big block just fits under the hood barely) with a Turbo 400 tranny, I am getting a Turbo 350 to mate with the 305 and in a few months with the 350. He is also giving me the V8 motor mounts, all brackets and accessories, and I am buying off him an aluminum driveshaft to go with it all. The engine has about 88k miles, but he recently rebuilt it, and I actually drove his car with the 305 in it, and it runs really well. Definately fast. He told me (and I have read) that my fuel pump may or may not work with the carb, so I am prepared for that. I will post pictures of my car, "Dr. Pepper" red, black/grey interior. Little bit of rust, Speedometer STILL not working 15" stock rims with newer tires (plan to switch those out when I get the V8 in there.) The car is going to get painted soon, and I need that damned Speedometer fixed bad! Any suggestions on that? It apparently went out when the belt got shredded (second post I put on the Car) Where is the VSS and where does the Speedometer hook up? I already checked behind the dash and it's all connected, is there a fusable link that may be the problem? Any help would be appreciated. You guys are awesome thank you again for your tips/advice.